PDA

View Full Version : Show Us Yor Thread Injector

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JerryW
12-21-2009, 16:44
I was doing a little maintenance today, de-fuzzing and oiling, and thought maybe everyone would like to share a pic of their thread injector.

I'll start. Mines a 50's vintage Singer Style-O-Matic 328K. Cast body and steel gears. It's a workhorse. I've sewn through multiple layers of heavy leather, multiple layers of awning fabric, multiple layers of webbing, yet it also handles the lightest silnylon, ripstop and no-see-um. It's in the factory cabinet and has a box full of different presser feet, stitch discs, gathering attachment and a few peices that I don't even know what they are for.:laugh:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7168&stc=1&d=1261435269

Let's see yours!

Jerry

ricegravy
12-21-2009, 17:12
BOOYAH!!!! eh hem.. Sorry.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/3/0/p1060896.jpg

-Ricegravy!

Mrprez
12-21-2009, 17:17
This is the one I used when making KAQs. It is a Janome 7330. I also have a Singer 500A that is in pristine condition.

MacEntyre
12-21-2009, 18:04
Skid Mounted Molly Mac Pack Manufacturing Module: Consew 226

...gotta have it to sew Superman's cape!

- MacEntyre

srestrepo
12-21-2009, 18:10
Skid Mounted Molly Mac Pack Manufacturing Module: Consew 226

...gotta have it to sew Superman's cape!

- MacEntyre

now theres a manly thread injector if i ever saw one... almost makes you want to ask whats under hood and what it runs in a quarter mile...

Mrprez
12-21-2009, 18:16
When it ever dies (and from the looks of it, I'd say it won't ever) it will make a great boat anchor!

MacEntyre
12-21-2009, 19:18
...whats under hood...?
1/2hp Consew Tuffy motor

JerryW
12-21-2009, 19:23
I see you put a paint mark on all the places that need to be oiled. That's a great idea!

Jerry

gargoyle
12-21-2009, 22:56
Its called the "Jean Machine". Bought it back when I needed my clothing mended from working on the red iron. Does an ok job, could be better.

Mac, thats a beautiful workhorse.

E.A.Y.
12-22-2009, 00:15
http://images51.fotki.com/v423/photos/6/1556686/8075990/CIMG1847-vi.jpg

Mid 1950 Singer Featherweight 221 with my monster Rowenta steam iron (with water tank!) in the background. The Jerry Chair, some over mitts, a couple of fleece things are what I've recently made on this machine.

I have two other machines - one (with all the fancy stitches) is in the shop, and the other one should go to the shop. Both Bernina.

PuckerFactor
12-22-2009, 01:28
Here's mine.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=86&pictureid=1840
It's an Elna Super 62C. Runs like a Swiss watch, since it's in fact, Swiss made.

Acer

HitchHiking
12-22-2009, 03:44
Some beaut machines here.

Here is my 1948 British made Singer 201K

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq304/soccerevan/IMG_2629.jpg

MacEntyre
12-22-2009, 05:23
Here is my 1948 British made Singer 201K

Are those prescription safety goggles next to that classic Singer? :confused:

I see you put a paint mark on all the places that need to be oiled. That's a great idea!
Either the manufacturer, or Mr Glenn, who refurbished the machine, put those marks there. It helps remind me to oil it often!

HitchHiking
12-22-2009, 07:35
Are those prescription safety goggles next to that classic Singer? :confused:

No they are just run of the mill stock standard ones. I use them all the time. I was stitching some 10 oz canvas for a pack and felt safer with them on i must say :cool:

Frawg
12-22-2009, 07:48
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=1841

gargoyle
12-22-2009, 07:51
Hitch, I do the same thing, safety glasses!!!:thumbup1:
;) <<---I didn't want to look like this guy.
Even just regular hammock making and thread injecting, I feel safer knowing my eyes are protected.:shades:

MacEntyre
12-22-2009, 08:03
My eyes are protected by (and the eye of the needle seen only with) my progressive glasses, made of PPG Trivex (http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/chemicals/Optical/Trivex/2_Technical/EN), the hardest, lightest lens material known to man! :cool:

- MacEntyre

PuckerFactor
12-22-2009, 13:13
I must say Mac, the motor on your gear maker is most impressive. I'm definitely having machine envy!

Green,
Acer

MacEntyre
12-22-2009, 15:03
I'm definitely having machine envy!
You'd be less envious if you had to pay for it! :scared:

- MacEntyre

Walking Bear
12-22-2009, 21:55
Here's mine.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=86&pictureid=1840
It's an Elna Super 62C. Runs like a Swiss watch, since it's in fact, Swiss made.

Acer

That's the same machine that I am using. A gift for my wife from her mother when she graduated from college in 1970.
However, I don't touch the new Bernia machine.:scared:

bull
12-22-2009, 22:19
Hey Mac,
What's a Consew worth with heavy duty factory table ?
Mike

MacEntyre
12-23-2009, 03:18
$850 to $1,000 for a refurbished industiral Consew or Singer with table and new motor. :scared:

Mrprez
12-23-2009, 07:12
Is it hard to find a mechanic to work on one? Parts?

KerMegan
12-23-2009, 09:32
Mr. Prez;you thinking of going back into the gear biz?

Mrprez
12-23-2009, 09:47
Probably not, but you never know!

bull
12-23-2009, 10:31
I was just curious. Got a Consew in nice shape. Came out of a sewing factory in Giles co. Virginia years ago. I need to learn to sew.
Mike

sclittlefield
12-23-2009, 11:01
1/2hp Consew Tuffy motor

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7171&d=1261444654

This is just about the exact same machine that I have. The only difference is that the label on the front says Tacsew, instead of Consew.... bet they're made in the same factory. I'll toss a pic in here when I get a chance.

Downside is... it's down. Needs to hit the repair shop after Christmas. I hope there's a good repair shop nearby...

***(Woah that's big... how do i Thumbnail it?)***

Thrasher
12-23-2009, 12:08
I was given this sewing machine a few weeks ago from someone I've done a lot of work for. It's a white sewing machine and seems pretty nice. All I've made so far with it is a puppet. He's got some eyes now and he's not perfect, just my first practice project. I'm leaving for my thru hike in February, so I'm not going to try to make gear, more puppets, or clothes until after that. Trying to save my money. If I had gotten it earlier this year, I would have probably made some of my gear.

MacEntyre
12-23-2009, 19:57
Is it hard to find a mechanic to work on one? Parts?
That's why I have a Consew instead of a PFaff. There is a 80 year old, second generation, local family business (http://www.glennsewing.com/) that takes care of them. They used to provide service to many upholstery and other sewing factories in High Point, NC. When they all moved to Mexico, lots of industrial machines became available. I wouldn't buy one that's not refurbished.

- MacEntyre

stormcrow
12-23-2009, 22:25
I have to say I love my Pfaff 1229 and 1473cd. They are solid built German machines. I will get a some pictures up here as soon as I can.

One thing that IS weird on both of the machines is that you do not oil them. There is just one little spot down by the bobbin hook that you put a drop every blue moon but that is it.

The 1229 was given to my wife by my always-quilting grandmother and I picked the 1473 up recently on Craigslist for $100...I still have a little trouble sleeping at night when I think about how I practically stole it from the guy. I did give him and extra $20 on the price and told him I was in the holiday spirit.

I will go get some pictures....They might be a little blurry though because they are always in motion these days...:rolleyes:

Stormcrow

Mrprez
12-23-2009, 22:29
That is the way the Janome is. There are other oil points, but you have to take it apart. I leave that up to the mechanic to handle.

mclmm
12-23-2009, 23:35
Mine's a Singer 99K. A$70 off ebay.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/craigwanderer/IMGA0001-2.jpg

I have already made a vinyl soft top for my BJ40 Landcruiser 4WD with it as well as modified loads of gear from packs and clothing to tarps. When I get around to it I'll be making a multicam or an Auscam HH clone, now that I have suppliers for the camo material.

MacEntyre
12-24-2009, 07:06
I have to say I love my Pfaff
I thought you might chime in if I mentioned Pfaff!

One thing that IS weird on both of the machines is that you do not oil them.
My friend's Consew 206 has a pan of oil underneath, so it oils itself.

:mellow:

bull
12-24-2009, 19:52
The Consew I have also has an oil pan with a screen pickup like in an automobile. Looks HEAVY DUTY ! I'll go in the garage and get the model #. Sure would like a manual for this machinery.
Mike

Mine is a Model # 220.

Anyone have an Instruction Manual I could copy ?

Thanks,
Mike

gargoyle
12-24-2009, 21:09
Deleted info.. faulty link, sorry.

MacEntyre
12-25-2009, 06:13
Thanks, Gargoyle! ...but I couldn't get that site to work. I went to the source:

Consew instruction manuals and parts lists (http://consew.com/public/default.aspx?pageid=4).

G.L.P.
12-25-2009, 22:46
Ahhh here she is...i just got done test running her...and she works great

nacra533
01-25-2010, 22:29
This is just about the exact same machine that I have. The only difference is that the label on the front says Tacsew, instead of Consew.... bet they're made in the same factory.

Consew back in the day was made by Seiko, same as Singer Japan. These were gray ones and "da bomb". The newer ones are white and not as "respected" as the older ones. The consew and tacsew are probably both Chinese or Tiwanese now.

If your's still needs to hit the shop, try tuning it yourself. Many of the operators manuals included timing settings. It's really very simple if you're not afraid to loosen a few screws. Worst case is you make the timing worse and you carry to someone then, but if you have the confidence and skill to make your own gear, you can time a sewing machine. Usually, it's just one adjustment to get it right again, although there a lot of steps to get it back to "factory" specs.

The older vintage Consew 206, Singer 111, Singer 211, Pfaff 145 and the other truely industrial heavy duty machines are not very good for hammocks and gear. They are for heavy weight materials. They need a lot of tension and (I) can't run small thread through them. V69 is about the smallest. Normal Guttermans and Mettlers are around V46-V50 thread size or smaller.

The Consew 220 was a great, fast industrial light-med duty machine. I saw someone mentioned they had one. Keep it.

Industrial machines are usually very fast (5000 spm) and not necessarily heavy duty by any means. They also do one thing only and do it well. Reverse and zig-zag are rare.You can usually tell heavy duty from fast by the tension disk setup. Look at pictures of a Singer 111w155 or an old Consew 206RB1. These types of tension disks mean heavy weight material. Most other industrials are just fast.

I have:
-Singer 211 for Canvas and Heavy stuff. Compound, needle feed, will stitch through a volkswagon engine block, (without the oilpan)
-Singer 20u for hammocks and lighter stuff. Zig Zag and reverse,commercial duty machine. It makes me grin sometimes when I knock out a 10' stitch in a 30 seconds.
-Sailrite LSZ-1 - Zig Zag Walking foot for Sail making. Real good, but the feed dog teeth are a little too agressive for nylon.

sclittlefield
01-25-2010, 23:03
I have:
-Singer 20u for hammocks and lighter stuff. Zig Zag and reverse,commercial duty machine. It makes me grin sometimes when I knock out a 10' stitch in a 30 seconds.

The machine I've got is a Tacsew T20U. The guy I bought it from gave me a Singer 20U manual. They seem awfully close in design. It does reverse and zigzag.

The motor under the table it goes with says Consew on it. :)

I think I just royally messed up the bobbin casing - it was making a rats nest underneath (I think initially due to threading the machine wrong), so eventually I tried adjusting bobbin tension. I still can't get it to a place where it'll do silnylon properly yet.

Oh... and boy nacra - you're a wealth of knowledge! Any advice for my mix'n'match machine?

warbonnetguy
01-26-2010, 01:14
Industrial machines are usually very fast (5000 spm) and not necessarily heavy duty by any means. They also do one thing only and do it well. Reverse and zig-zag are rare.You can usually tell heavy duty from fast by the tension disk setup. Look at pictures of a Singer 111w155 or an old Consew 206RB1. These types of tension disks mean heavy weight material. Most other industrials are just fast.

even the industrial machines meant for lighter weight fabric (drop foot) have that big honking motor under the table. they'll all sew through alot more fabric than any home machine ever will. they may not be meant for heavier fabrics because they don't have the walking foot, but they'll still sew through alot of layers. sure maybe not as heavy duty as something setup for sewing leather, but you can still sew multiple layers of cordura, and i'd consider 1000d heavy weight fabric. many straight stitch industrial machines have reverse, at least many of the ones i've seen.

hows the sailrite compare to your singer 20? i always thought they(sailrite) looked like a glorified home machine with their ity-bitty looking motor and portable setup.

i've got a juki needlefeed dln 5410n. i love it. i tried some walking foot machines that had been setup for lighter stuff that worked pretty well, but ended up with the needlefeed. it's quite nice. i've yet to try a compound feed though, but suppose that's probably overkill for lightweight stuff, although i have had good success sewing lightweight stuff on a walking foot by turning the top and bottom tension way down.

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 01:36
I've used my Consew 226R with very lightweight fabric... didn't bother to change the needle or thread, just stretched out the fabric and pulled from both sides. I got away with it! Love those walking feet...

My Nechhi is where I usually do lightweight work.

warbonnetguy
01-26-2010, 01:51
I've used my Consew 226R with very lightweight fabric... didn't bother to change the needle or thread, just stretched out the fabric and pulled from both sides. I got away with it! Love those walking feet...

smaller thread and alot less tension helps too. having 2 machines doesn't hurt either:)

Village
01-26-2010, 11:41
Here's my main machine, a Juki 241H compound feed with Reliable servo motor:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/JaredDilg/Gear/Juki241H-1.jpg

I also have my grandmother's Necchi DU for lightweight work. I believe it was the first domestic zig-zag imported into the US in the 50's.

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 11:51
Nice Thread Injector, Village!

warbonnetguy
01-26-2010, 12:05
yeah that is nice, mine is very similar, but just the needlefeed, no walking foot. how much did you pay?

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 12:10
...no walking foot...
How do you live without a walking foot?

warbonnetguy
01-26-2010, 12:18
the needlefeed is a walking needle, it serves a similar purpose. how do you live without needlefeed:D

here's my baby: http://westchestersewing.com/juki/dln5410/

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 13:15
how do you live without needlefeed:D

I think mine does both... the outer foot walks; the inner foot walks opposite strides, with the needle going with it thru a hole in the inner foot.

Village
01-26-2010, 13:42
For anyone unclear about the various machine head types, here's a primer:
http://diytactical.com/blog/index.php/2008/12/sewing-machine-primer/

Mine's a full-on compound feed, in that the needle moves in unison with the inner foot as it walks, probably like MacEntyre's.

Warbonnet: I got a steal on this machine! It was $400 with a clutch motor and I upgraded that to a nice used Reliable servo for $100 more. The previous owner purchased it new for her outdoor gear prototyping company, but before they took delivery, the company decided to off-shore the process and sent the delivered machines to a warehouse. I'm essentially the first owner.

AcidHawk
01-27-2010, 02:19
Sad to say but this is the only thread injector that I own at the moment, but it is mine.

I must say though that it has done a fair bit of injecting.. I have used it to modify mostly webbing on some of my scuba diving equipment.

MacEntyre
01-27-2010, 06:30
I'm essentially the first owner.
That's a steal! I hate you!

:rolleyes:

MacEntyre
01-27-2010, 06:32
Sad to say but this is the only thread injector that I own at the moment....
I use nothing but a needle and palm for 30 years. Mostly repairs, some small projects like bags and pouches, all leather or heavy canvas. I also have the hand stitcher that looks like an awl.

TinaLouise
01-27-2010, 06:48
I have to say I love my Pfaff 1229 and 1473cd. They are solid built German machines.

Stormcrow

The Pfaff 1473cd is also my machine TOO!! I bought mine new (I had a trade in Pfaff so the price wasn't as bad as it could have been) and I've had it for about 20 years now. It's never been serviced in all that time!!! Works like a charm!!! I tend to always oil that one little spot on the bobbin every time I start a new project and I like to change out the needle a lot when I'm sewing with DWR nylon or silnylon, I've found that material likes to dull the needle pretty fast. I wish I could find another one for the price you found!!! I'd buy it for my daughter.

TinaLouise

nacra533
02-04-2010, 22:19
The machine I've got is a Tacsew T20U. The guy I bought it from gave me a Singer 20U manual. They seem awfully close in design. It does reverse and zigzag.

The motor under the table it goes with says Consew on it. :)

I think I just royally messed up the bobbin casing - it was making a rats nest underneath (I think initially due to threading the machine wrong), so eventually I tried adjusting bobbin tension. I still can't get it to a place where it'll do silnylon properly yet.

Oh... and boy nacra - you're a wealth of knowledge! Any advice for my mix'n'match machine?

PM me with any specifics. Learned a little thinking I could make money buying, tuning, and selling machines. Turns out you can if your willing to say no thanks after driving an hour or two and drive home empty handed. I can't do that.

As far as mixing motors and machines, they are two separate beasts, if the motor runs forget about it. 1/4 to 1/3 hp are fairly common, with 1/2 on some of the true heavy duty machines. Most all are 1750 rpm and machine speed is based on pulley sizes of motor and machine. Almost always, pully size on sewing machine is fixed but machine pulley can be changed to slow it down. Slowing it down also gives it more torque. Leather workers use a double pulley step down if they haven't converted to the solid state controller (MCR) which gives full torque at really slow speed. For our use, pretty much any motor will work without modification and you can get used to (and appreciate) the speed.

The Singer 20U which I assume your Tacsew 20U is based on was a commercial grade machine, not truly and industrial. In other words, is was not made to run 24/7 in a sewing plant, but still WAY better than most machines you buy today regardless of price. It is considered a light to medium weight machine. (medium weight being in the 11oz fabric range like denim). It also handles the delicates very well. One of its strong points was lingerie (zig zag) so for hammocks and gear, you probably have a winner.

On the bobbin case, if the little curly q / pigs tail looking thing is bent, you'll have lower thread problems. Also, becuase the zig zag step is so wide, you'll skip stitches on zig zag alot if you don't have thread and needle matched up, presser foot and thread tension correct at full zig zag. Again, pm me with specifics.

nacra533
02-04-2010, 22:41
even the industrial machines meant for lighter weight fabric (drop foot) have that big honking motor under the table. they'll all sew through alot more fabric than any home machine ever will. they may not be meant for heavier fabrics because they don't have the walking foot, but they'll still sew through alot of layers. sure maybe not as heavy duty as something setup for sewing leather, but you can still sew multiple layers of cordura, and i'd consider 1000d heavy weight fabric. many straight stitch industrial machines have reverse, at least many of the ones i've seen..

You're correct. 1000d cordura is med heavy. Heavy weight is getting into 7-13 layers of sail cloth, thick leather, buffing wheels, etc... The motor under the table machines will all out sew a home machine. Many do have reverse, I mentioned that because many do not as well. For example, in the Singer 111 and 211 line, which are upholstery standards, only the model numbers ending in 6 have reverse, so roughly 3 out of 10.

hows the sailrite compare to your singer 20? i always thought they(sailrite) looked like a glorified home machine with their ity-bitty looking motor and portable setup..

The sailrite is WAY stronger for several reasons. Although it only has a 1/12hp motor (I think), it is geared well. It starts with a tiny motor pully and ends with a huge balance wheel that you can increase for extra $ to the monstor balance wheel. It also uses a double pulley setup (I think). Bottom line is TONS of torque. It also has no clutch, the balance wheel is pinned to the drive belt (they call it posipin). If the motor turns, the balance wheel will turn, it can not slip unless it shears a 3/16 or so steel pin. In the sail I just finished, the last stitches are in 9 layers of sail cloth and it doesn't even flinch once you get it poked through the first time. The 20U won't do it. I tried and I wanted it to, but it couldn't get through 6 layers consistently (probably my motor, a larger horse motor may do it)

The Sailrite also feeds like a champ. It has a walking foot, but not needle feed. I don't know if needle feed on a zig zag exists??? For upholstery, sail making, canvas it works GREAT. It's a little slow once you get some experience (800spm Sailrite, 3200spm Singer 211, and 4000spm Singer 20u), especially when doing long stitches (10' for hammock, 30'+ for sails). The other downside is the aggressive teeth on the sailrite don't do well in the light weight nylons but I'm sure I could replace the feet if that was all I had.

nacra533
02-04-2010, 22:48

For those with plenty of money and time to find the machines, it appears MacEntyre is the winner.

I think it's "He who has the best toys, not the most toys wins." He has the dream setup for gear making (or just about anything making) in my opinion.

MacEntyre
02-05-2010, 06:14
Well... gosh, thanks!

To me the dream setup has been put together by my buddy Dave. He makes marine canvas (dodgers, biminis, sail covers, wind scoops, etc). In his basement he has a Consew 206, as well as a Sailrite. Before I bought my Consew, I borrowed his Sailrite to make Molly Mac Packs. If I could only have one machine, it would be a Sailrite. I have a domestic Necchi because I couldn't afford two industrial machines.

Nothing wrong with those old Singers, Pfaffs, Jukis and Tacsews, either!

nacra533
02-05-2010, 09:20
Well... gosh, thanks!

To me the dream setup has been put together by my buddy Dave. He makes marine canvas (dodgers, biminis, sail covers, wind scoops, etc). In his basement he has a Consew 206, as well as a Sailrite. Before I bought my Consew, I borrowed his Sailrite to make Molly Mac Packs. If I could only have one machine, it would be a Sailrite. I have a domestic Necchi because I couldn't afford two industrial machines.

Nothing wrong with those old Singers, Pfaffs, Jukis and Tacsews, either!

I do that as well (for friends, not a really a business), mainly covers now because I don't have time to do the patterning on dodgers and biminis. Friends seem to think that my labor should be free or cheap, so I only do the easy stuff. My Singer 211 is just like the 206R, reverse, big bobbin, compound feed (needle feed and alternating presser feet). I've never played with a Necchi, but a lot of folks put them near the top.

hikingshoes
02-05-2010, 11:40
lol,my GF came in the MAN CAVE and seen me looking at sewing machine on this forum.She said what in the world are you doing looking at sewing machines isnt this a hiking/hang website.But after i told her what was going on,she understands now.HS

Mrprez
02-05-2010, 12:02
lol,my GF came in the MAN CAVE and seen me looking at sewing machine on this forum.She said what in the world are you doing looking at sewing machines isnt this a hiking/hang website.But after i told her what was going on,she understands now.HS

Whew, that was close!:)

KerMegan
02-05-2010, 12:34
Invading the Man Cave? She must have been on an urgent mission. I try not to bother my DH when he is in his cave- just check that he has food/drink and oxygen.

Shug
02-05-2010, 13:25
Have not been DIYing much of late .... really pretty well set with gear. Tough to admit that.
Here in my Bernette ..... took it over from Meg. She is barely aware.
Shug ..... Bernette Burglar

MacEntyre
02-05-2010, 15:02
.... really pretty well set with gear.
Bite yer tongue!

Edit yer post!

Blasphemy!

:scared:

MacEntyre
02-06-2010, 08:43
Found this yesterday:

Newzy
03-08-2010, 20:10
"1943" Singer: Resurrected this old Singer that I picked up at a barn sale over 14 years ago. Initially got it for the cabinet and stool that came with it. Got the D.I.Y. bug after hand sewing a project together and decided I could do better. 1943 Singer.JPG (62.9 KB)

Soulis
03-09-2010, 13:30
here is my sewing machine (say it with proud) called Eva Zic-Zac. She cost 5 and it is working realy good only foot pedal is missing and for now i use it with my hand and switch (working on to make pedal) the other one is my muscel powered leather sewing machine :)

Im so clad that most of people in here (i meen this forum) use older machines so im not alone with my own :)

Jukka

jeffjenn
03-14-2010, 19:44
This is mine the Singer CG-550:

clearskyblue
03-14-2010, 20:11
Interesting thread!

Nice seeing all these fab sewing tools some really robust ones.What washing machines are you all using.... bah just messing.

Randy
03-14-2010, 20:28
Umm,,, ours is a lectric washing machine now,,,,When I brought home a new washboard,as a joke,,,,,,, that was the only time Baby Momma, went getto on me....
but we still use a clothes line,,,,,,we don't have deed restrictions like them city foke........

clearskyblue
03-15-2010, 09:30
I have a little, very basic singer machine.
A new modern Brother I got for Christmas .
And a nice Frister and Rossman cub 4 rather like an industrial machine in mini form.
Get some pics over when I get s decent digital camera.

mbiraman
03-15-2010, 14:01
Well i finally got one. An older Brother made out of steel, everything works and the best part is i got it for free with a small donation to the local childrens quilt fund. The woman at the quilt room gave me about 15 minuted worth of lessons of all the this and that . I got home and made a net gear pouch for the RL of my BB. Two days later i ripped out the old zipper in my thinsulite vest and sewed in the new one. This ain't so hard, just don't ask me to make a suit.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr288/mbira2ride/IMG_0416.jpg

Scottybdiving
04-03-2010, 08:37
I pulled out my wife's machine that she has owned since before I met her. She has probably used it only half a dozen times since I have known her (30 years). She says it was pretty high quality when she bought it new in the mid 70's.

There is no longer a user's manual for it. I have done several searches and emailed a couple websites that specialize in copied manuals. The machine is a portable but is pretty heavy, all steel construction. It appears to be working properly and is very clean. The only ID besides ALCO, is a tag below deck with the motor info. It says 2200-(5 numbers stamped) the 2200 is printed as though a model number. It also says "Made in Japan".

MacEntyre
04-03-2010, 08:39
...mid 70's.
...all steel
..."Made in Japan"
Can't do much better than that!

Welcome to the Vintage Iron Underworld, thread injector section!

- MacEntyre

Strapped-4-Cache
04-03-2010, 11:44
There is no longer a user's manual for it. I have done several searches and emailed a couple websites that specialize in copied manuals. The machine is a portable but is pretty heavy, all steel construction. It appears to be working properly and is very clean. The only ID besides ALCO, is a tag below deck with the motor info. It says 2200-(5 numbers stamped) the 2200 is printed as though a model number. It also says "Made in Japan".

Try this link:
Necchi-Alco Sewing Machine Manuals (http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/InventoryPage/1797256/1.html)

I've done some quick checks online and can't find a manual for a 2200, but the manual for the 2300 can be found on the link. I'm not sure if it's close to the same machine, but the numbers are close. Try looking on some sites for Necchi-Alco 2200 or just Necchi 2200.

Good luck!

- Mark (S-4-C)

MacEntyre
04-03-2010, 13:07
Can't do much better than that!
Actually, you can...

if you add "... made by Necchi!"

Divine_Light
04-03-2010, 14:11
So is a thread injector just a sewing machine?

gargoyle
04-03-2010, 14:22

Yep, but its our "manly" way of saying sewing machine. ;):laugh:

RoundBear
04-03-2010, 14:44
My Thread injector is a Janome Threadbanger TB12. Ive only had it about a month but have run through two 600 yard spools of thread. So far it has done great.

Hangin' Burrito
04-03-2010, 16:59

Yep, but its our "manly" way of saying sewing machine. ;):laugh:

........and we are not "sewers", "tailors", or "seamstress's". We are the few, the proud, the Gearmakers!!!!:rolleyes::D;)

Scottybdiving
04-03-2010, 17:13
Try this link:
Necchi-Alco Sewing Machine Manuals (http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/InventoryPage/1797256/1.html)

I've done some quick checks online and can't find a manual for a 2200, but the manual for the 2300 can be found on the link. I'm not sure if it's close to the same machine, but the numbers are close. Try looking on some sites for Necchi-Alco 2200 or just Necchi 2200.

Good luck!

- Mark (S-4-C)

I have been on that site and emailed them. Linda replied quickly and said;
Any machine named with Precision Deluxe and a great many other names, such as yours, ALCO was a made in the orient or another foreign country, sewing machine. So it arrived in the USA without a name on it and who ever sold it, put whatever name that they wanted to, on it. That is why I can tell you which manual is the right one for your machine unless, just by pure chance, we have one with that identical name on it in our collection.
She goes on to say that there may be several identical machines with different names.

I also found a hobby sewing center in Minnesota that has a rental unit called an Alco 2200. The photo is poor but it looks like the same machine. I have emailed them to see if they have a manual they could copy

waddy
04-05-2010, 18:02
I just found this old thread and couldn't resist adding to it. Here is the nifty little Olympia (by Brother) that I inherited from my wife. I think it must have made from a hollowed out anvil, and then lead weights added for ballast. It is a nifty little stitcher though.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx247/leathersaddlehorse/IMG_0043.jpg

When I have to use two layers of silnylon, then I move up to this one:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx247/leathersaddlehorse/IMG_0041.jpg

And for three layers, this mo-sheene can definitely inject thread wherever I want it!

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx247/leathersaddlehorse/IMG_0040.jpg

:lol:;)

MacEntyre
04-05-2010, 19:17
Nice collection of thread injectors! Is that middle one a Consew 206?

You have a quite few chisels as well!

- MacEntyre, jealous

waddy
04-05-2010, 21:44
The middle one is an Adler 65 that I use for making chaps and light tack. I bought it while stationed at Lemoore NAS in about1972. The bottom one is a Ferdco Pro 2000 heavy stitcher used for building saddles. It is perfectly capable of stitching leather stacked 7/8" thick.The tools behind it are some of the many special edgers, stitching groovers, fids, spikes and assorted toys used in my business of building custom saddles and tack. Sewing cloth, especially the really light stuff, is almost like learning how to sew again. Being able to re-do a stitch line is something new for me. When you run that row of stitches in leather, those holes are there to stay, right or wrong!

Knighthorse
04-12-2010, 01:47
Here's mine. Singer, manufactured date 1909 Treadle table made 1850-1880. All metal rods/gears and such. I've sewn four layers of denim with it for short seams. Handles very light ripstop just fine also. Table is missing drawers, but I wanted a "user" not a "collectible". Over 100 years old, and works just fine. I paid $75 for both pieces together from an Amish man. It will probably still work after I'm gone. Finish on the cast iron table is just fine, what you see in the picture is dust I neglected to remove before the picture.

bundy71
10-24-2010, 19:09
I know a lot of people shied away from Kenmores, but I got the whole kit and kaboodle for $40. So what the heck. If it dies it dies, but I made my hammock and my tarp with it so far! The Free Westinghouse was my Grandmother's. I know I can get the drive wheel and bobbin winder wheel rubber that I need, and I can make (modify) the power cord. But I have not been able to locate the bobbin case. I have the bobbins, but I'm missing the case. I would love to use this machine, as it has been used by my Grandmother, Mother, and Aunt.
Here are the pics,

MacEntyre
10-24-2010, 19:16
Nice machine, that Westinghouse! :thumbup:

Adia
10-24-2010, 19:50
I have 2 machines. The first is an old kenmore from 1948 in the cabinet--works like a dream--everything with it and my fav part is that there is a leg press instead of foot pedal. Paid $25 for it 10 years ago at a garage sale, felt bad for robbing the guy who sold it to me and never looked back. The cabinet finish was in rough condition(looks like someone tried to iron on it) and so it is taken apart right now and completely sanded down, I am in the process of refinishing the cabinet. The picture i am posting is one i found online of my machine.
the second is a brother cs--6000i computerized, plastic, but works amazingly well. I have used it to make a few odds and ends so far. I can't complain it was free to me and it is holding me over until I get the other one put back in the desk.
once the cabinet is done I will post a picture of my beast back in working order...lol

jeepthangjim
10-24-2010, 22:32
Here's my thread injector. As you can tell I don't really get much done. It is pretty maintenance free though.

HitchHiking
10-25-2010, 04:11
Here's my thread injector. As you can tell I don't really get much done. It is pretty maintenance free though.

:lol: I always carry mine with me!

bdbart
10-27-2010, 11:43

jeepthangjim you need an upgrade

Lonely Raven
10-27-2010, 12:21
Bundy, that Westie is the sexy!

My setup:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs610.snc4/59055_445403552187_504847187_5129116_7171004_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs702.snc4/62191_445403642187_504847187_5129117_3443917_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs343.ash2/62330_445403697187_504847187_5129118_7333958_n.jpg

I missed out on a Necchi on eBay that someone pointed out...I was about to snipe it in the last seconds when I got an important phone call...family emergency, and I just completely forgot about the machine till about 40 minutes after the auction.

Now I'm considering an inexpensive serger instead.

NFA
10-27-2010, 12:50
http://www.belowretaildirect.com/images/_products/tmkglobal/82-20346.jpg

I got it a couple of weeks ago, and am getting ready to being work on a couple of projects!

Jamie

bundy71
10-27-2010, 20:13
Nice machine, that Westinghouse! :thumbup:

Bundy, that Westie is the sexy!

Thanks, I just need to find me a sewing machine repair shop that can get me the parts I need for it. Then I'll be running that Westie, making my Grandmom proud!:D

Big Jim Mac
10-28-2010, 19:29
OK, here's mine:

First one is a Hammockmaker (OK, Dressmaker) SWM-1000 DeLuxe. This one zig zags though I can't get it to lock where it's supposed to be. Works great but the bobbin is tough to get started and it likes to fall out.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/moselle1962/hammockmaker.jpg

This is the latest acquisition, a Singer 404. Super light, powerful and it's a lot easier to load the bobbin IMHO. Had to lube it up and do a lot of cleaning before I used it.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/moselle1962/singer404.jpg

Thought I would share this, this is how I got those cone spools to work on the Hammockmaker. I just glued an empty wooden spool to the bottom of it.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/moselle1962/spool.jpg

jbo_c
10-28-2010, 19:42
"Hey sweetheart(14 year old daughter), you need to take a picture of me and my new sewing machine so I can post it on here for my friends."

"I don't think so."

"Ha. Ha. Seriously."

"Seriously. I am not doing that."

:laugh::lol::laugh::laugh:

jbo_c
10-28-2010, 19:44
That 404 looks just like the one I just inherited, 'cept mine has a cabinet.

Just finished putting it back together after a good lube job. Boy, those things are simple - motor, worm drive, gear, gear, gear, levers. That's it.

Jbo

Big Jim Mac
10-28-2010, 20:01
Yep, seem like great machines. So much better made than my first one. Found a 503 for $35, made contact but now I can't get back in touch. I'm sure I'll have 20 TIs before I'm done collecting!

skyclad
10-30-2010, 20:56
My TI has been in the shop - recently got it back. ain't she a beauty?
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15148&stc=1&d=1288490027

Necchi (sounds like Necky) BU Nova - made in Italy in mid 50's. Most of the Novas from this era are black not green. The paint is chipping a little as you can see. It's just back from the shop. I had it cleaned and lubed, fixed a problem with the feed dogs. Should be very reliable.

Lonely Raven
10-30-2010, 21:24
My TI has been in the shop - recently got it back. here she is.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15148&stc=1&d=1288490027

What a beautiful machine. What model is it again? I want one just because it looks so fantastic!

jeepcachr
10-30-2010, 21:59
A lot of people are posting old iron, not me. No love here for plastic gears, electronics, and computers? We have 3 sewing machines, 1 embroidery machine, 1 embroidery/sewing machine and a serger. My favorite is my quantum XL5000. I only wish it could sew faster in reverse.

bdbart
11-08-2010, 14:14
http://i52.tinypic.com/j75ik8.jpg

Her is my DIY Gear-Maker....and I love it :boggle:

However...look thru the machine...i.e. scissors, seam ripper, and magnetic pin holder

A machine is a must for DIY enthusiasts...of course... but also a good pair of scissors, seam ripper and pin holder make the process easier

I use Fiskars "orange" handle scissors exclusively for fabrics. They make a great product and I don't use this pair for anything but fabric...i.e. - don't use them to open plastic packages, cut wire, or anything except fabric
Why??? B/C a tiny notch in the scissor blade (created by cutting something hard) will damage some fabric :scared:

A good seam ripper - why? - cause I make mistakes and the tiny "travel" size ones are a pain in the arse

Magnetic pin holder - why? - well I guess a pin cushion will work too. Someone on this forum said "don't use pins, learn to just fold and sew"

I agree that for the experienced DIYer, that learning to fold and sew makes the process quicker, but a lot of people are first timers and using pins to keep everything together allows you to catch mistakes before you sew

My mother taught me to sew and she still "pins" most things before she sews.
It goes along the lines of "measure twice, cut once" philosophy

MacEntyre
11-08-2010, 15:32
...ain't she a beauty?
I agree with OldGringo... that is a beautiful machine! :thumbup:

I'm jealous! :cool:

kc7fys
11-08-2010, 16:15
When my mother-in-law passed away last year, she left this JCPenney 1510 and a ton of phernalia. It runs good until I have a chance to get a newer one.

koaloha05
11-08-2010, 16:23
Thrift shop purchase. Paid $29 or $39. No plastic in this maybe pre-WWII machine. Copy write dates on the owners manual ran from 1915 to 1941. Universal electric motor. Simple machine. Straight stitch and reverse. Only issue I had was when switching to a heavier polyester thread. "Fool"ed with the bobbin tension.

Big Jim Mac
11-09-2010, 06:44
My mom showed me her collection of thread injectors this weekend (funny, she called them something else.) She has 2 Singer 301s which she says are highly prized by quilters. They have a huge space between the bed and the top of the machine which lets you pile up a lot of material. I can see the advantage to this when making TQs or UQs as all my machines are fairly low in this area. I think she must have 30 or 40 machines, including a computerized Bernina and a Singer serger.

MacEntyre
11-09-2010, 06:50
I think she must have 30 or 40 machines...
:scared: What does she do with all those thread injectors? :confused:

Big Jim Mac
11-09-2010, 19:10
:scared: What does she do with all those thread injectors? :confused:

She's a world class quilter, used to do classes where they made a quilt in a day. She supplied machines if students didn't have one. But that's like asking one of us what they do with all those hammocks! I come from a long line of packrats, my dad had to buy a town (I'm not making this up!) to store it all. Moselle, Mo.

magiccitymatt
11-09-2010, 20:22
PARTY AT BIG JIM'S GRANDMA'S HOUSE!!!!

I'll bring the beer... uhhh wait
I'll bring some beer

It should probably be illegal to sew whilst drunk.

MacEntyre
11-10-2010, 05:34
my dad had to buy a town ...Moselle, Mo.
There is interesting information on Moselle on the internet, but no mention of anyone buying it. What a great story!

bugman0914
11-10-2010, 05:51
Well I just finished looking through this thread and will have to get a picture of the old Royal my aunt gave me as I didn't see any like on here.

Bradley
11-10-2010, 10:41
My wife picked it up . . . this year some time . . . ???

took it in for a tune-up . . . works great :D

http://www.flatbottomcanoe.com/images/hammock/singer-merrit.JPG

Dblcorona
11-10-2010, 11:00
Baby Lock Molly, though it really is a rebranded Janome Sewist 500

Big Jim Mac
11-10-2010, 18:39
There is interesting information on Moselle on the internet, but no mention of anyone buying it. What a great story!

Slight exaggeration, but he does own most of it. Buildings are full of amazing junk such as a 1962 Ford truck with 66 miles on it. Always said he only wants to own the property that borders his!

We should have a thread-injecting bee somewhere sometime, bet we would all learn a lot. If there was beer my son might not call me gay...

Busky2
11-10-2010, 19:23
Old was the New Home 791 and the New is Janome Sewist 500

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15539&stc=1&d=1289438418

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15540&stc=1&d=1289438418

Big Jim Mac
11-10-2010, 22:08
Looks like that New Home would work great on stuff sacks and TQs with that raised bed.

Busky2
11-11-2010, 00:05
Did a TC and a UQ with it and it worked well.

RBrown
11-13-2010, 20:12
got 3 machines singer 221, 600w1 and elna 62c do not have the 600w1 set up to use right now no ware to put it so its in storage till i do. Also got an old industrial over lock no idea how to thread it or if ill ever use it at least the motor is the same as whats under the 600w1

Big Jim Mac
11-14-2010, 08:10
Hey, nice anvil RBrown, looks like a big Peter Wright? Thought I was the only blacksmith here!

Bradley
11-14-2010, 09:27
Hey, Thought I was the only blacksmith here!

you and me both :D

RBrown
11-14-2010, 15:59
Hey, nice anvil RBrown, looks like a big Peter Wright? Thought I was the only blacksmith here!

no name on it but by the shape and how long the horn is im guessing its a peter wright. every peter wright iv ever seen has a long horn like this one.

Big Jim Mac
11-14-2010, 21:16
no name on it but by the shape and how long the horn is im guessing its a peter wright. every peter wright iv ever seen has a long horn like this one.

P-W's have a distinctive foot--there's a line that goes across them. I've got two of them, 98 pounds and 135 pounds.

trinni
11-17-2010, 04:22
I am a friend of old metal.

My German Pfaff 130 is leg-driven -- it also has a backpack-motor but my pedal is a little harsh such that speed cannot be altered accurately enough. I prefer riding this treasure manually without electricity. It's good to know I am capable of sewing my gear without depending on electricity.

I picked it up for a Euro from ebay. It is a zig-zag which can also inject thread in a straight-line and in reverse direction. I have given another 1 Euro Pfaff130 from ebay to my mom -- this machine has just got out of Pfaff-maintenance (worth 150 Euro), working just as new. It's a white machine -- which makes it rare. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of it with me, will post it here whenever I get a chance.

People just don't know what to do with these old really heavy working-treasures.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/4/0/4/maschine.jpg

Big Jim Mac
11-17-2010, 09:22
Nice machine Trinni and it looks like it found a great home!

skyclad
11-17-2010, 14:33
My poor greenie was damaged in shipment. I'd sent it to (unnamed) for service and he did a ****** job of packing it for the return trip. The two cast-iron lateral support rails (front and back) are both cracked and the deck is bent. This machine is toast - it will never sew again. He promises to send me another Necchi machine - BU Mira. We'll see. I am extremely bummed.

Poor little greenie...
sky

Buffalo Skipper
11-17-2010, 15:11
I just discovered that I have access to this old Sears sewing machine. It is a model 158. My father used to use this for his sewing projects (sail repair, etc). Last I knew, it worked but that was years ago (8-10+?).

Is this a decent model machine? I can only guess at the year to be sometime pre 1970.

bdbart
11-17-2010, 16:50
Is this a decent model machine

Try it out....if it works...then it is decent....IMOHO

Busky2
11-17-2010, 18:14
Buffalo Skipper. I just traded in that same machine in the cabinet for $150.00 towards my new Janome. Yes, they mark the machines up a bit to make up for the trade but I am a shrewd shopper. I made sure to check prices before I bought so I think I got a real dollar savings of $85.00. This was good since I was asked to remove the machine from Grandma's house and get rid of it for her.

thekalimist
11-18-2010, 14:27
finally in the game guys

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/5/6/5/2/singer.jpg

sorry for the weird exposure didnt really feel like fiddling with it- i just got my machine home

robjae
12-06-2010, 16:06
I got a Brother 8015 Galaxie. $30. Online manual $10. Trip to Hancock Fabrics for oil, needles, thread, and some practice ripstop and I am in the game. I made a drawstring bag for practice.

islander
12-23-2010, 22:01
Just picked up a Kenmore Model 52, Mint condition. Happy with my new toy.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=657&pictureid=5918

MAD777
12-24-2010, 06:13
Just picked up a Kenmore Model 52, Mint condition. Happy with my new toy.

Hi Islander, I'm glad to see that you've got a new horse to ride :)
Very nice!

Otis_Hiker
01-04-2011, 17:06
Just picked up this thread injector today.
Singer 758 for $20. Works perfect, just needs a good cleaning. I thought it was a good deal!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/org03/DIY/singer.jpg

Redoleary
01-04-2011, 18:00
Here's the girls: Pfaff Select 3.0 & A North Country Trail Special, er um, I mean, a Sailrite Professional Long arm 3 step zig zag and extra cam to do 2 step zig zag, and laser guidance system :D
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5E52R44zoKU/TSOzgTNOGnI/AAAAAAAAAcw/MeE2imW8v4g/the%20machines%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg

mountain_man_mike
01-04-2011, 20:04
The Free Westinghouse was my Grandmother's. I know I can get the drive wheel and bobbin winder wheel rubber that I need, and I can make (modify) the power cord. But I have not been able to locate the bobbin case. I have the bobbins, but I'm missing the case. I would love to use this machine, as it has been used by my Grandmother, Mother, and Aunt.
Here are the pics,

I was able to find a set of five bobbin cases for the Singer 306K I recently came into on eBay for about $5. You may have to check for a few days but it might help...

mountain_man_mike
01-04-2011, 20:15
Old was the New Home 791 and the New is Janome Sewist 500

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15539&stc=1&d=1289438418

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15540&stc=1&d=1289438418

Is that a "Sewist" 500 or an "Injector" 500?

MAD777
01-04-2011, 20:19
Here's the girls: Pfaff Select 3.0 & A North Country Trail Special, er um, I mean, a Sailrite Professional Long arm 3 step zig zag and extra cam to do 2 step zig zag, and laser guidance system :D
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5E52R44zoKU/TSOzgTNOGnI/AAAAAAAAAcw/MeE2imW8v4g/the%20machines%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg

I really would love to have a long arm. It's a challenge to keep all this nylon bunched up and out of the way of the needle (I've only sewed into the bundle once, so far). I wish this option was more widely available on home priced machines ... a Backpacker's Special model !

1Poet
01-04-2011, 21:52
I was bragging on another thread before Christmas about my score of a Singer 301A. My mother bought it new in 1956 or so and used it a lot. Most of my clothes were made on it. Mom is no longer able to use it and when I stumbled on it, I did some begging and mom let me bring it home. It is in the original case and has a lot of attachments. It is clean and no rust or dirt. What a score! Ain't moms great!:D Here are a couple of pics. Gargoyle, it did happen!

BigJoeTheBear
01-06-2011, 19:31
Since I am new to the Forums I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my injector. It's a Pfaff 1214 and it is a workhorse.

It is great to see all of these vintage injectors being put to good use for the noble creation of GEAR.

gdw
01-06-2011, 22:25
I have a newer Singer 1411 for light fabrics but this 64 year old 15-91 is my work horse and favorite.

JerryW
01-06-2011, 22:29
Thanks to everyone for posting their hardware! I had no idea this thread would grow to this length!

:thumbup1:

JerryW

Sunny's_Trike
01-13-2011, 23:03
Here is one I picked up not long ago from a guy who bought it at an estate sale. I got it for $80 and after getting it home I have realized it is in near perfect as new condition and sews like it is brand new. What a lucky deal.

Built 1952 in New Jersey a Singer 15-91. Came with the wicker box you see in photo and was nearly full of just about anything you could need to sew with on this machine. Stool had about 60 or spools of thread. All the attachments are like new. I imagine I will pass this on to one of my grand kids and it will still work like new.

What amazed me was that there is no part that is not available for these old machines. And the manuals for everything from Sewing for Beginners to Maintience manuals are available for free off the internet.

easyriver
01-14-2011, 15:57
Is anybody familiar with the Singer Model 99k, circa 1951. I see one locally for sale. Would this be suitable for doing hammock type DIY projects?

gdw
01-14-2011, 16:45
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/06/singer-99-sewing-machine-review.aspx

The 99 is a nice basic workhorse and worth picking up the price is right.

Sunny's_Trike
01-14-2011, 18:34
Is anybody familiar with the Singer Model 99k, circa 1951. I see one locally for sale. Would this be suitable for doing hammock type DIY projects?

The Singer 99k is a 3/4 size machine from what I can find on the internet. But it will do a good job on most any projects up to medium light leather.

Anyone looking for a deal on a thread injector should look into Goodwill's Auction site. They have a bunch of machines and they are very inexpensive in comparison to Ebay. Here is a link.. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/

rjcress
01-21-2011, 10:04
This Singer 15-91 was my Grandmother's machine, and she was very proud of it. In doing some research, I read that in today's equivalent dollars, these were around $2,200 when new. My grandparents were not rich people, so I can only imagine how long they had this on a payment plan before it was paid for. They didn't trust banks and actually used the hidden shelf under the machine as their "safe deposit box" to store any cash they had on hand. This machine was quite important to them.
Anyhow, when I got it, I thought it was great for sentimental value, but didn't realize what a beast it is for gear making. All metal, gear driven, and reliable (as long as I don't fiddle with the thread tension and get things out of whack). :rolleyes:
I feel very fortunate to have it.:cool::boggle:

Here is a pic of the 15-91 in use, finishing up the corner reinforcements and tie outs on my new Ogee tarp.
http://gear-report.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2011-1-Jan_iphone-163.jpg

ishmael
02-01-2011, 15:06
I literally just got back from the antique shop down the block with this little nugget. I think I got terrific deal because I've seen them on ebay for much more than I paid. My problem now is I don't know whether I should keep it and use it or put it up and (hopefully) collect some profit. The only problem is that it has no book or accessories so I'll probably use it at least till I can fill out the package to make it a little more attractive to the ebay crowd.

Anyways; waddya think?

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/8/0/6/singer991_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12512&c=4) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/8/0/6/singer992_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12513&c=4) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/8/0/6/singer993_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12514&c=4) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/8/0/6/singer994_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12515&c=4)

skyclad
02-01-2011, 15:16
I also have my grandmother's old Singer foot/treadle machine, and my mother's Singer 221 Featherweight. Not sure who to pass these on to when I pass, but it should be someone who will keep and treasure them, as I do.

Sprite
02-02-2011, 13:05
I also use a Singer 15-91, like rjcress and Sunny's Trike.
I actually have two of them: one for canvas, one for everything else. Great machine.

mph5
02-04-2011, 20:31
[QUOTE=ishmael;401402]I literally just got back from the antique shop down the block with this little nugget. I think I got terrific deal because I've seen them on ebay for much more than I paid. My problem now is I don't know whether I should keep it and use it or put it up and (hopefully) collect some profit. The only problem is that it has no book or accessories so I'll probably use it at least till I can fill out the package to make it a little more attractive to the ebay crowd.

Anyways; waddya think?

I have one of those. My mom bought it used in the 40s or 50s.
It's a simple but tough machine! I have made a number of projects with it, including a tent and leather items (slowly and carefully). That was in the 80s when gore-tex tents first came out. Sooo expensive - so I bought material and made my own. My 12 year old used the tent on our last campout (last spring). I suggest you try the Singer before you sell it. You might decide it's worth keeping!

Marti

harrell79cj5
02-26-2011, 19:12
I got a New/Old thread injector today at Goodwill for $30! everything seems to work great on it! it needs to be cleaned really bad and probably oiled good too. It is a Singer Touch and Sew Deluxe Zig-Zag Model 645. Anybody know anything about this model?

The other one I have been using is a Brother CE-5000PRW and it has been working fine, but this looked like a good deal for a better machine!?

Fronkey
02-26-2011, 19:22
I got a New/Old thread injector today at Goodwill for $30! everything seems to work great on it! it needs to be cleaned really bad and probably oiled good too. It is a Singer Touch and Sew Deluxe Zig-Zag Model 645. Anybody know anything about this model?

The other one I have been using is a Brother CE-5000PRW and it has been working fine, but this looked like a good deal for a better machine!?

You gotta love Goodwill!

Fronkey

Sunny's_Trike
02-27-2011, 09:45
[QUOTE=ishmael;401402]I literally just got back from the antique shop down the block with this little nugget. I think I got terrific deal because I've seen them on ebay for much more than I paid. My problem now is I don't know whether I should keep it and use it or put it up and (hopefully) collect some profit. The only problem is that it has no book or accessories so I'll probably use it at least till I can fill out the package to make it a little more attractive to the ebay crowd.

Anyways; waddya think?[QUOTE]

I am by no means an expert on old Singer models. Have had them in family ever since I can remember. As far back as my Granny's treadle machine back in the early 50's.

I can tell you this though. (IF) the machine you bought is in working order, and by that I mean you are able to thread it, fill the bobbin and sew a piece of material with a good tight stitch. Then using it is your best option. I say this because this machine is near indestructable. If you go on the internet and search, you will be able to find (pdf) files of the manual, servicing manual and parts manual. You can also find out exactly what date your machine was made and the allocation of that machine on that day. You can go to Ebay and search Singer 99 and find nearly any part you want.

The main thing I want to stress to you is these old machines run on lubrication. Make sure you put light (I use white) grease on all the cams
and roll points under the machine. Also there are numorous holes where a drop or two of lights oil (keyword) should be used periodically. Finally make sure if you decide to use the machine you keep it clean and free of lint in the sewing area of the walking feet, needle and bobbin and carrier.

You can find needles, bobbins, bobbin carriers, bobbin winder rubbers or nearly anything listed on this section of EBAY.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Singer+99&_sacat=See-All-Categories

If you can sew, USE IT, dont stick it in the closet is my thoughts. Check out this blog site as well.
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/06/singer-99-sewing-machine-review.aspx

Just some trival info as a side note. Your machine was made at the Singer Elizabethport Factory in Elizabeth, NJ on October 21, 1955

nik.martin
02-28-2011, 19:48
This is a Kenmore Model 48 my wife's granny gave me. It works like it did when it was new! It has a very strong motor.

harrell79cj5
03-02-2011, 07:27
You gotta love Goodwill!

Fronkey

One man's junk is another man's treasure!!:D

KerMegan
03-02-2011, 09:00
so entirely true...

easyriver
03-02-2011, 21:32
Just got mine yesterday. Given to me because it wasn't being used. Was originally part of a bunch that were used for sewing classes. Its a Husqvarna Optima 610. I haven't read all the posts in here. Anybody else using one of these?

nik.martin
03-03-2011, 21:48
My Thread injector is a Janome Threadbanger TB12. Ive only had it about a month but have run through two 600 yard spools of thread. So far it has done great.

Can you give an update on the threadbanger? So far it's my current choice for my next machine, I'm getting ready to upgrade from the '61 Kenmore 48

wirerat123
03-04-2011, 11:56
I love my 1951 Necci Bu Mira. Old School all metal, and works like a dream!

http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/adjusted_images/collect_sew_necbu1.jpg

mountain_man_mike
03-18-2011, 15:23
I came into a 1956 Singer 306 that needed just a little TLC... she's a beauty!

Big Joe
03-20-2011, 06:41
Yesterday I picked up a Singer heavy duty 4411 that was recommended from my local shop after I explained what I wanted to use it for now I need to learn to use it. Taking sewing classes with my girl so she can't say we don't do things together

slowhike
03-20-2011, 09:29
I guess I let mine sit around unattended a little to long:blush:
https://picasaweb.google.com/slowhike/OldSewingMachine#5586167779329215426
Any ideas on how to best clean this guy up w/o removing any more of the original finish?
I guess I'll just use it for decoration. It's got to many missing parts & rust to sell for an antique I guess:)

flamedone2
03-30-2011, 06:35
just soak it in oil drain your car use the old oil let it sit

Greenbrier
04-01-2011, 11:16
Thought I would add mine to the list since I didn't see one like it yet--my old White handed down from my grandmother. IMHO one of the best things a person can teach their grandson!

Also a pic of some of my work (although most of it is handsewn for period correctness)--I do Revolutionary War reenacting when I'm not backpacking. :)

wirerat123
04-01-2011, 13:17
As many times as I've talked about how much I love vintage sewing machines, Jess has been holding out until today. I was talking about the old ornate Singers and how much I love them. She says "Did you not notice the machine in the utility room?" I said "Huh?", she said "Yeah, there is a beautiful machine in the utility room.".

Check this baby out! MINE ALL MINE! it needs some work to get it running and converted to motor though.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6071/1000531mk.jpg
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/6633/1000530.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/371/1000529k.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2549/1000528r.jpg

Can't believe she's been holding out on me all this time.

Fronkey
04-01-2011, 13:25
That is really AWESOME! I love the designs on it and even if you couldn't get it to work it would still be cool to have as a decoration. Can you take a better picture of that creature on the top right. It looks kind of like a Griffin, but not sure. Thanks for posting man.

Fronkey

wirerat123
04-01-2011, 13:40
That is really AWESOME! I love the designs on it and even if you couldn't get it to work it would still be cool to have as a decoration. Can you take a better picture of that creature on the top right. It looks kind of like a Griffin, but not sure. Thanks for posting man.

Fronkey

It's a Sphinx! A little cleaning would bring it right out. Was hard to get a good pic as the flash washes it out too much, so I put my finger over the flash to get one this good.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5356/1000535l.jpg

Fronkey
04-01-2011, 13:43
I was thinking a Sphinx too, but I thought they didn't have wings. That is such a cool machine. Thanks for taking the picture man.

Fronkey

wirerat123
04-01-2011, 23:28
If things go right tomorrow i may be the proud new owner of this!

Singer Slant O Matic Rocketeer 500A (Touted as the best sewing machine ever made)

http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.com/images/My_Singer_500A_-_third_one_view_1_-_May_2008.jpg

Fronkey
04-01-2011, 23:34
How are you getting all these awesome machines?

Fronkey

wirerat123
04-02-2011, 00:18
I'm aggressive when I find something I want. I saw one on a Singer website, and the search began, I found one fairly local at an excellent price, just waiting on more info from the seller.

My next hunt is a vintage Husqvarna Viking.

I just did a fast search on Craigslist in your area, and these turned up!
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/atq/2299843910.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/hsh/2297895952.html (I'd love to get one of those)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/atq/2290830497.html (I would buy this one if it was near me so fast it wouldn't be funny)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/2290220964.html

Man there is tons of nice machines in your area!

Wanna make us Necchi fans jealous? Go pickup this Supernova!
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/hsh/2291624003.html

SuperTramp
04-02-2011, 07:13
well here's what is in my house -the old girl is really not used for more than a table for the others although it does work.My role in the sewing of projects etc.. is to buy material,cut out the pattern and pin it together then walk over to the machine and pretend i am going to sew but rather loudly fumble with it and act like a complete idiot and within seconds an angel flies in and kicks me off and the job magically gets done perfectly :D
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu268/Linker71/sewing005.jpg

canoecountry
04-04-2011, 21:53
These are my two injectors. I would like to add a serger to the stable at some point, I keep looking and some day one will show up. The larger Singer 211 G 166 is great for webbing, canvas, cordura, leather and anything that is heavy-duty or in multiple layers. For this hammock stuff the little brother is more than enough machine for me.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz309/canoecountry/Sewing%20Machines/Hammock1go050.jpg
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz309/canoecountry/Sewing%20Machines/Hammock1go039.jpg

CC

Clo-z-nuff
04-13-2011, 12:11
I was doing a little maintenance today, de-fuzzing and oiling, and thought maybe everyone would like to share a pic of their thread injector.

I'll start. Mines a 50's vintage Singer Style-O-Matic 328K. Cast body and steel gears. It's a workhorse. I've sewn through multiple layers of heavy leather, multiple layers of awning fabric, multiple layers of webbing, yet it also handles the lightest silnylon, ripstop and no-see-um. It's in the factory cabinet and has a box full of different presser feet, stitch discs, gathering attachment and a few peices that I don't even know what they are for.:laugh:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7168&stc=1&d=1261435269

Let's see yours!

Jerry

Jerry, I just won this exact model on an online auction for $9! I just love the looks of the 300/400 series Singers. Afterall, how a thread injector looks is very important...right? It looks brand new in the pics but I wasn't able to inspect it in person. I won't pick it up for a couple of days but is there anything I should look out for as I'm giving it the once over? For sure I'll give it a general cleaning/lubing.

Fronkey
04-13-2011, 12:17
Jerry, I just won this exact model on an online auction for $9! I just love the looks of the 300/400 series Singers. Afterall, how a thread injector looks is very important...right? It looks brand new in the pics but I wasn't able to inspect it in person. I won't pick it up for a couple of days but is there anything I should look out for as I'm giving it the once over? For sure I'll give it a general cleaning/lubing.

For $9.00 I would've made the gamble too. Great find!

Fronkey

JerryW
04-13-2011, 12:19
...is there anything I should look out for as I'm giving it the once over? For sure I'll give it a general cleaning/lubing.

These are really solid machines. Hopefully it won't need any kind of repair. I'd start with the cleaning and lubing and go from there. What a great buy!

Jerry

Clo-z-nuff
04-13-2011, 12:38
Yeah, I was pretty excited to get it for 9 bucks. I enjoy messing with tools, machinery etc almost more than I do using it so it should be a fun project. I'd also like to find an old 15-91, and an industrial machine, oh and a....

Clo-z-nuff
04-17-2011, 19:02
Well, here's my $9 buy.

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad76/Clo-z-nuff/IMG_2184.jpg

Take a screw of here, put a drop of oil there, put in some thread and voila!

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad76/Clo-z-nuff/IMG_2186.jpg

I also made a skeeter tube for my daughter this morning with it out of some curtain liners. My sewing...eerrrr...injecting skills sure need some work but the machine performs perfect.

Boothill
04-26-2011, 18:44
got this singer stylist 533 today...........for FREE.........runs great, and all the different stitches and adjustments work 100%........woot woot

don't know alot about it though, did a search on the web and from what i can tell it's a mid to late 70"s machine, pretty heavy and seem like it's built pretty well

boot

bdbart
07-05-2011, 12:23
Got this Singer Featherweight 221 for my b-day

You can actually 'feel' the stitches
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ntjmuu.jpg

TacticalAnt
07-11-2011, 19:17
Here are some pics of my equipment. The Singer is a 503A "slant-o-matic", bought off CL with cabinet, ALL accessories, and a recent tune up, (did I mention original owner) for $75 delivered! The Serger has no name anywhere on it. I traded a pneumatic staple gun for it. And, last but not least, that Mac Daddy, the Mitsubishi DY-337 walking foot with reverse. Another great deal from CL. Let me tell you, you haven't sewn until you have used a walking foot! It will sew through 1/4" of saddle leather without even grunting. Im pretty sure I could sew 3/4" plywood with the right needle :-)
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd432/constitutiondefender/photo1-6.jpg
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd432/constitutiondefender/photo2-14.jpg

Lost_Biker
07-12-2011, 07:06
My first thread injector - late 30's Singer 201-2. Found 2 weeks ago looking lonely at the local Goodwill. I gave it a home, had it checked out (minor adjustments, new presser foot and bobbins, and a good clean/oiling and it works beautifully.

trinni
09-09-2011, 05:15
Here are both of my working horses:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/4/0/4/sn850869_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=15396)

The white beauty seems to be very rare as this is the first Pfaff 130 I have ever seen non-black.

ljcsov
09-09-2011, 10:17
My all steel Dial Sew. I really don't know anything about this machine. I picked it up off a woman selling it on craigslist for $20. All I wanted was something tough and functional. Maybe you guys know more about it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/5/1/8/5/img00058-20110909-1111_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=15398&c=4)

Yukon
09-09-2011, 12:41
My thread injector. Still believe it's a Precision Sewing Machine company model branded for G. Fox & Co. department stores back in the 1950's. Has been working great!
http://tapatalk.com/mu/c6e4c2c7-4fc2-16e3.jpg

dragon360
09-09-2011, 13:18
I am so jealous of so many of your machines!

cardo
09-10-2011, 10:50
Got this off of CL for $40. Apparently a clone manufactured in Japan after WWII. Has an adjustment for how high the bottom feed comes up out of the deck that I haven't seen before. [Pictures from an iPod Touch that I have yet to get an unfuzzy photo from. It's the **** equipment I tell you, I'm perfect.]

jeepthangjim
10-03-2011, 12:30
jeepthangjim you need an upgrade

I finally upgraded. I bought an old Necchi off of Ebay. I took me a little bit of work to get her running again. USPS really did a number on her. They broke the female plug at the end of the pedal. The part that the motor and the light plug into so I had to modify an extension cord to get it working again. Once I did and I got everything strung up right she worked like a dream.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/5/8/6/008.jpg

the_gr8t_waldo
10-04-2011, 00:34
post 166--i always thought they were called a "HARPY"

fosho4
11-08-2011, 20:06
I finally found a sewing machine on craigslist. It's not in the best cosmetic condition but seems to run like a champ. ...at least so far. And for $25 I certainly can't complain. I have partially completed two PLUQ's so far without too much trouble.
It's a singer 201-2.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/0/0/1/photo_nov_088_49_32_pm.jpg

Bigbogg
11-08-2011, 21:10
Ok here it is. I got it for free from a friend and have not had a chance to make anything with it yet. I am in the learning stages right now. But a I am sure it will work out ok for me. It is a singer 247.

Bigbogg

OneThing
11-11-2011, 13:28
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1514&pictureid=11905

I received one just like the picture above several years ago and put it in the closet. (Mine does not have the little fish) Not knowing how to sew and not fond of the color I never got around to learning how to use it.

Anyway, life is always in a state of change, and I started looking at the DIY forum here and thought why not learn.

It's a Singer Merritt 2404 and I've been having to learn how to thread it and use from Youtube video's.

I hope over the next year to make the following with it.

1. Hammock
2. Tarp Doors
3. Mod 4 on my HH
4. BugNet Sock
5. Sock
6. UQ
7. Bishop Bag
8. Tarp (2 Materials Cuban & Silnylon)
9. TQ
10. Down Hat

I put them in the order which I though would be the easiest to start working on 1st and go from there.

hippofeet
11-11-2011, 15:17
Mac's 226 is the better machine by far. I slowed down the machine with a small motor pulley, and have an extra 220 3 phase. I stole this one for 80 bucks complete with 200 needles, 40 bobbins, and a full set of stainless presser feet. With the 3.5 inch pulley on the 110 motor, it is WAY too fast. Right after I shot this pic, the singer simple died doing bartacks on webbing and cordura. I got it going again, that machine just won't die.

hrairoorah
11-11-2011, 15:53
I won a lot of boxes of junk from an estate auction. Upon searching the boxes, I found this beauty. The thing was, I only paid $5.00 for the entire lot and there were some other keepers in there as well.
http://i28.lulzimg.com/f75437bc14.jpg

CatSplat
11-12-2011, 10:36
A couple snaps of my BU Nova.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/CatSplat/1b6fc2cb.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/CatSplat/f8acd78b.jpg

L.D. Cakes
11-12-2011, 11:49
I inhearited this Singer from my Mother who inherited it from her's.
http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/46628/2138898580034078328S600x600Q85.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2138898580034078328aankcL)

seb1008
11-13-2011, 20:56
I bought this on ebay for around $70.00. It is a Singer Redeye Model 66 made in 1920. The base was busted in shipping so I made a new one.
Just made a stuff sack today to practice since I have never sewed before in my life. The machine works great, all metal gears and smooth as silk.

dragon360
11-14-2011, 08:15

That BU Nova is a true machine of beauty!

catalyst
11-14-2011, 22:57
Just snagged this off ebay. Can't wait to get started on some DIY projects!

http://jeffreymcconnell.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v29/p781624800.jpg

CatSplat
11-14-2011, 23:21
That BU Nova is a true machine of beauty!

Aye, she's a looker... a shame I'm not all that good at using her yet! :lol:

Cali
11-15-2011, 09:22
I went yard saling this weekend and got a Singer 9410G and A Sears Kenmore Model 158.13160. No pics yet. Paid $25 for both. Gotta love those yard sales.

A lady at my church is meeting me to check oth the machines and to teach me how to use them. Sewing 101 in the social hall tonight. I hope to get a sewing group together with other ladies from the church, and I may turn it into a hammaock gear sew-athon. Yeahaa.... :thumbup1::thumbup:

dragon360
11-15-2011, 09:43
Here is the bad boy I'm borrowing from a friend. I was able to find a Singer 99k that needs some work to get up and running and I recently found a Singer 293 for $7 at a second hand store. Thinking I might search out a Slant-o-matic or featherweight at some point!

ciphoto
11-16-2011, 18:24
Been in the family for years....

koaloha05
11-16-2011, 22:51
Been in the family for years....

Singer 15-91? Picked up the 15-91, similar looking model to your machine a while back from the local thrift store. Pre-WWII unit. Every time I do a little routine maintenance (cleaning & oiling) the machine impress me. No plastic. Cast or forged arms & cams. Just a straight stitch machine that is showing a bit cosmetic aging, but still functional.

Jazilla
11-17-2011, 11:49
My little guy. He was $40 brand new and has lasted me for 6 years and is still going strong
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/ti_822001.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=16241&c=)

ciphoto
11-18-2011, 06:28
Singer 15-91? Picked up the 15-91, similar looking model to your machine a while back from the local thrift store. Pre-WWII unit. Every time I do a little routine maintenance (cleaning & oiling) the machine impress me. No plastic. Cast or forged arms & cams. Just a straight stitch machine that is showing a bit cosmetic aging, but still functional.

Yep 15-91, I know my mother and grand mother made a lot of stuff with just straight stitch machines...

Drifter D
11-18-2011, 07:06
I'm learning on a "singer simple" thread injector but it's no where as cool as the oldies on this thread. It's amazing to me that some of the oldies are still in service. If I get they hang of this I will definately look into an antiquer!

Fibby
12-07-2011, 20:09
My Brother disintegrated yesterday while re-sizing a baseball hat.:crying
So I went for a new/old Singer 328K. I'll post pics when she gets home. :D
I'll hafta see if I can get the Brother fixed for some lightweight work. I guess 10 yrs is pretty good for a cheap plastic machine. I guess I've been pretty hard on the ol' guy.:unsure:

trinni
12-07-2011, 20:59

Beautiful machine -- and nice shots!

trinni
12-07-2011, 21:04
Mac's 226 is the better machine by far. I slowed down the machine with a small motor pulley, and have an extra 220 3 phase. I stole this one for 80 bucks complete with 200 needles, 40 bobbins, and a full set of stainless presser feet. With the 3.5 inch pulley on the 110 motor, it is WAY too fast. Right after I shot this pic, the singer simple died doing bartacks on webbing and cordura. I got it going again, that machine just won't die.

Wow, that's real working horse! Congrats on the steal!

Loneoak
12-08-2011, 07:15
I have been using a Singer 401 but recently found this Singer 99K Handcrank. It sews great and is easier to use on anything small. You can sew extremely slow with it, if you need to do a critical area.

KerMegan
12-08-2011, 07:59
hand crank and portable!? you could take that to the next group hang, and give lessons!

bluefields181
12-08-2011, 17:01
here's my little workhorse. After buying a couple old broken machines off craigslist, i finally just broke down and bought a new one. Totally worth the $90. Recomend it to anyone looking to get into thread injecting.

PuckerFactor
12-09-2011, 21:24
here's my little workhorse. After buying a couple old broken machines off craigslist, i finally just broke down and bought a new one. Totally worth the $90. Recomend it to anyone looking to get into thread injecting.

What model is the one on the right? Looks like it might be a walking foot, but I can't quite make out the shank. :lol::lol::lol:

PF

bluefields181
01-06-2012, 15:09
hehehe yeah, that's my other 'bad habbit,' rebuilding bike motors. i think that one came offa 79 kz750 lol

uncle_ray_ray
01-25-2012, 23:40
Recently set up a sewing station in my workshop. Made the surface of the sewing machine flush with the table. Table is flush with my workbench. Sewing machine table detaches from workbench and storage cabinet (right) is on wheels which can be rolled away when I'm working on something else.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1795&pictureid=13079

Tough little sewing machine 35+ years old
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1795&pictureid=13057

Loneoak
01-26-2012, 00:36
Nice set up Uncle Ray Ray, love the long table.

dragon360
01-26-2012, 07:53
Really like that long table idea!

J.Andersons
01-29-2012, 08:38
I'm shocked by the fact that many man peaple using sewing machines errrm should I call thread injector:blush: never known before this sewing machines so called manly name.
Still learning a lot from these forums.

DavyRay
01-29-2012, 10:55
I'm shocked by the fact that many man peaple using sewing machines errrm should I call thread injector:blush: never known before this sewing machines so called manly name.
Still learning a lot from these forums.

Welcome to HF.

My first use of a sewing machine was to construct a custom seat for my motorcycle, long time ago. Someone here at HF came up the "thread injector" term, I guess as a joke.

Irish Mike
02-04-2012, 11:51
Back in the mid 80's I bought a house and discovered an old Singer sewing machine in the attic. The motor was bad and there was no info with it at all.
A recent TV program made me think about it again so I got it out and started some on-line research. Well the machine is a model 127 and was made in New Jersey in February of 1916.

Armed with this info I ordered a new motor/foot switch, drive belt, and lamp. The unit appears to be in good mechanical shape. Still need needles and bobbins. Perhaps convert it back to a treadle unit if a cabinet can be found.

Loneoak
02-04-2012, 12:15
Back in the mid 80's I bought a house and discovered an old Singer sewing machine in the attic. The motor was bad and there was no info with it at all.
A recent TV program made me think about it again so I got it out and started some on-line research. Well the machine is a model 127 and was made in New Jersey in February of 1916.

Armed with this info I ordered a new motor/foot switch, drive belt, and lamp. The unit appears to be in good mechanical shape. Still need needles and bobbins. Perhaps convert it back to a treadle unit if a cabinet can be found.

I have the same machine also, mine is treadle only tho and made in 1923. If you search Ebay, you can find a manual and attachments for it and just about everything else it made need. They are very common and really neat machines

Yukon
02-04-2012, 12:54
Just picked up this little sweetheart last week, and in love with it already :)

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/stuntin50x/First%20bugnet%20hammock/Viking4HF.jpg

Lost_Biker
02-05-2012, 17:57
This is my new second hand machine. Ramblinrev says it's a good one. Cleaned it up, oiled, checked out - sews good and has hardly been used. Now I can do zigzag!

jbrianb
02-05-2012, 19:42
The Singer Fashion Mate (1968 - Made in Italy). Now I need a cabinet...

hodad
02-09-2012, 16:57
My Eagle Scout (almost) with our
Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 working on his "pumpkin" gathered end http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31994&stc=1&d=1328828066

Rystan
02-12-2012, 10:49
Just got my first machine (hand-me-down from my grandmother in-law) had it serviced and used it on my first project yesterday. It's amazing how much more I respect people who MYOG after attempting to sew in a straight line all day yesterday :D

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/Thumps311/Sewingmachine.jpg

WW8Ball
02-12-2012, 11:38
Picking up a Kenmore 148 today in a table, my buddy is giving it to me! Now to find a manual....

d37fan
02-18-2012, 20:57
Dug this out of dad's garage today. Cleaned and oiled it up and it works pretty good for being out there for 15 years. This was a Christmas gift from grandpa to grandma in '55.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/d37fan/ThreadInjector.jpg

I think I have been bitten by the bug. It's been 21 years since I used one of these things in high school.

Pag
02-19-2012, 11:34
Saw this thread and had to add a few of mine

Singer 77-1
http://i40.tinypic.com/r7n1bn.jpg

Consew 2053R
http://i44.tinypic.com/9ad1de.jpg

Juki MO2516N
http://i40.tinypic.com/15i9rf6.jpg

I should probably take pics of the rest but I'll get to that after I get some real work done. I am a tailor so these are kind of my bread and butter.

Edit - will figure out picture posting soonish

Edit - I think I got it this time

Loneoak
02-19-2012, 13:45
Dug this out of dad's garage today. Cleaned and oiled it up and it works pretty good for being out there for 15 years. This was a Christmas gift from grandpa to grandma in '55.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/d37fan/ThreadInjector.jpg

I think I have been bitten by the bug. It's been 21 years since I used one of these things in high school.

What model is your Morse ?...... thanks

d37fan
02-19-2012, 20:21
What model is your Morse ?...... thanks

It has "R5L" stamped underneath and a badge that says "superdial" on the front, I even have the Buttonholer and a whole box of different feet and attachments that go with it.

Loneoak
02-19-2012, 20:55
It has "R5L" stamped underneath and a badge that says "superdial" on the front, I even have the Buttonholer and a whole box of different feet and attachments that go with it.
thank you sir

Fancy Shoes
02-20-2012, 11:33
Hey y'all, what thread do you use? I am doing a couple mods to my hammock, so I want some good thread that's not going to break.

Loneoak
02-20-2012, 11:36
Gutterman's polyester

islander
02-20-2012, 11:57
+1 Gutterman's :thumbup1:

FLRider
02-28-2012, 09:10
I finally got around to cleaning my workshop; the puppy purring away on my work table is a 70s-vintage Husquvarna.

From left to right:

The mess I cleaned up. Man, I need to do this more often!
The beast.
A close-up of the throat plate and needle assembly.
Odd angle 1.
Odd angle 2.

Loneoak
02-28-2012, 09:40
I finally got around to cleaning my workshop; the puppy purring away on my work table is a 70s-vintage Husquvarna.

From left to right:

The mess I cleaned up. Man, I need to do this more often!
The beast.
A close-up of the throat plate and needle assembly.
Odd angle 1.
Odd angle 2.

Good looking machine

FLRider
02-28-2012, 10:18
Good looking machine

Thanks! She's been good to me so far.

TZBrown
02-28-2012, 10:31
I just got this on the way home from the MI hang.

It is a Consew 226R1. It has a walking foot. which should make some things easier

The fellow bought it at auction, and had it 6 months, never used it. It came from an RV dealer that closed originally, and I don't think it got used very much.

Not much dirt underneath but a bunch of dried corn inside from the mice.

I cleaned and lubed it up, and after getting it threaded correctly, this thing is scary fast, :eek: gonna have to slow it down somehow.

Just the bit of try outs convinced me to wear the safety glasses. The leather was not even an issue ;)

FLRider
02-28-2012, 10:36

It is a Consew 226R1. It has a walking foot. which should make some things easier

The fellow bought it at auction, and had it 6 months, never used it. It came from an RV dealer that closed originally, and I don't think it got used very much.

I cleaned and lubed it up, and after getting it threaded correctly, this thing is scary fast, :eek: gonna have to slow it down somehow.

Just the bit of try outs convinced me to wear the safety glasses. The leather was not even an issue ;)

Yeah, I think I'd definitely go with the safety glasses with that one. What's the horsepower on that motor? It looks like I could run a lawnmower with it!

TZBrown
02-28-2012, 10:53
Yeah, I think I'd definitely go with the safety glasses with that one. What's the horsepower on that motor? It looks like I could run a lawnmower with it!

It has a 1/2 HP 1725 rpm motor and a 3 1/2 inch motor pully.

That is why it is so fast.
They make a 2 inch motor pully, which I will try to find soon, it will cut the speed quite a bit.

dragon360
02-28-2012, 10:56

What a Beast!

FLRider
02-28-2012, 11:33
It has a 1/2 HP 1725 rpm motor and a 3 1/2 inch motor pully.

That is why it is so fast.
They make a 2 inch motor pully, which I will try to find soon, it will cut the speed quite a bit.

Over 90 stitches per second at full speed? Am I right about that? That seems...excessive. I think my math is wrong.

I honestly don't think I'd have the ability to use a machine that went that fast. I have trouble with twenty stitches a second.

Hope that your search for a smaller drive pulley works out well. Either way, the increase in power should make, well...anything...sewable. Impressive.

Loneoak
02-28-2012, 13:05

That looks heavy duty :)

fishbait
02-29-2012, 21:49
Here is my Singer 237 that I inherited from my wife's Grandmother. Only used it once so far to attach a couple patched to a uniform. I have big plans for this old girl.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/rich5665/Singer237.jpg

mtndragon
03-22-2012, 20:57
Here she is, just picked her up today from a retired fellow who restores old injectors. I can't believe how clean this thing is. He spent hours pulling parts, polishing, and replacing anything that could wear. Singer 503a with all the original cams and feet. Let the fun begin! :cool:
http://mtndragon.smugmug.com/HangingAround-1/Random/i-x33GNcz/0/M/IMG20120322160551-M.jpg

Loneoak
03-22-2012, 21:29
Mtndragon, that is a good looking 403

jbrianb
03-22-2012, 22:01
Here is my Singer 237 that I inherited from my wife's Grandmother. Only used it once so far to attach a couple patched to a uniform. I have big plans for this old girl.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/rich5665/Singer237.jpg

As Spiccoli says in Fast Times at Ridgemont High: "Hey, I know that dude!" I have the same machine. Lovely little workhorse.

Lee64
03-23-2012, 00:30
I use a White 1588, has a whole bunch of hooha gadgets that I don't use but it'll lay a straight stitch without much hassle. Works on silnylon to web strap. Best of all it was free. One of these days I'll teach my wife to use it, since her mother gave it to me.:laugh:

2Tall
05-21-2012, 17:01
Well, I finally scored one. A freebie at that. Should be good enough to re-learn on. Now to the supply store. Need some needles. First project, tarp skins!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/2094891e-bb37-0e9b.jpg