DIY insultex underquilt
Here's my second attempt at sewing. Er, Gear making. My first was a gathered end hammock that basically taught me how to use my mom's thread injector. This one was a little more complex. 3 layers of insultex. With the channel I was dealing with 7 layers at one time :scared:
40 by 60 on the small side (1.1 ripstop)
45 by 60 on the large side ( differential cut) I cut each layer of insultex 1 inch wider than the first and then my larger layer of ripstop at 45 to allow the insultex to hang correctly.
I put channels on each side with supplemental webbing loops in case I need to tweak the suspension a little bit.
Here's my favorite part : 16.2 ounces. That is the quilt only so total it should be right around 17 ounces.
I am hoping for a 30 some night this weekend so I can test it out!!!
I reserve the right to photograph only the parts that make this look like a quality product thus insinuating that the said parts reflect the entirety of my project.
Looks great. great job! Please let us know how it performs!
Good job LB. I guess this is for your DIY gathered end hammock. Will the ends gather so the wind doesn't sneak in?
Needs Trip Report!
Wow, yeah that was a big part of the design that I forgot to mention
The ends already are gathered, ruffled if you will so that the width on each piece is the same. That took place before I sewed. I put a loose stitch in, secured it at one end and was able to scrunch up the fabric so it all fit into that 40 inches.
I am going to put shock cord and cord locks on the end. There are also two webbing loops on each end - both are between the middle and end of the quilt.
Please describe that in more detail, slowly!
Originally Posted by leroybrown
You mean each piece of IX is a full 60 inches wide, and the ends are scrunched?
Yes, that is exactly it.
If I didn't gather the ends of the quilt, I would end up with a big mess of fabric at the end of my seam because all the pieces are cut to different lengths. The longer pieces would bunch. I wanted bunch, but manageable bunch.
I put a loose stitch through each layer of insultex, and finally a stitch through the bigger piece of ripstop. At one end, I secured the stitch with a knot, and left the thread just as it was on the loose end. I grabbed the ripstop at the loose end and pushed it (bunching it) until it was the 40 inches wide - the same as the smallest piece of ripstop. I then secured the thread on what was the loose end. This made ruffles that I spread evenly throughout the entire length of each end piece (on each side). I did this with each layer so even the 45 inch layer of ripstop still fit right in with the 40 inch smaller piece.
My thought is that the ends will be nice and tight, but the material will fan out quickly after the seam and hang like it is intended.
you can see in the first picture that there is extra material on top - that is because it is pictured upside - down. that extra material will be facing the ground, hanging - allowing the insultex to hang and insulate like it is intended.
Very nice! I love the ingenuity!
That is ingenious! You have created the bulk that makes IX work well. If the ends fit as you intend, the result will be a very warm UQ!