DIY Ultralight Hammock Brainstorm
Hey guys, first time poster (I think) here. Been on these boards for a while though. Anyway here's the deal. I have a hennessey Hyperlight and love it (about ready to do the cinch buckle mod!). But I'm a DIY'er and wanna make my own hammock as well.
So I'm on this whole "Ultralight baseweight" kick and if I'm gonna make a hammock it might as well be somethin that is for another purpose than my hyperlight. I wanna make the lightest hammock I can make and I want to get any ideas from you all.
Here's my plan:
- Wanted to use a Hennessey style and picturing something along the Adventure Racer as a finished product
- Thinkin about using 1.1 oz ripstop, cause I'm only 165lbs
- What size should the hammock be. I'm only 5'7" and I don't mind it being tight, it's ultralight so that's the idea
- Want to put netting on it like the hennessy, and probably keep a bottom entry
- Will use BPL Aircore for ridgeline and guylines
- Polyester webbing for tree straps
That's about all I can think of at the moment. My big questions at the moment are:
- is the 1.1 fabric going to hold or should I go with 1.9?
- How much fabric should I get and how big should I cut the original "rectangle" to?
The tarp I'll either make myself or buy. I have my own sewing machine and have been doing small household projects to familiarize myself but this will be my first big project with this material and on this scale.
Thanks for the help