My first (2) DIY progress...
Working on my first two DIY hammocks. I purchased the fabric and am working on the simultaneously. The first one, for myself, is going to be a slightly altered zHammock made out of two 10' 1.1 DWR layers. Slightly altered means that instead of attaching the two layers in the centers of the long ends, I plan to attach them at diagonal corners (sewing about half the long length together, then doing the same on the diagonal side.) I don't know how well it will work, but it makes sense in my head. I feel that this might help to hold the pad at a diagonal.
The second hammock is going to be for my fiance. After I had all of the edges pinned in place to make a rolled hem, I think that it might be 1.9 DWR. I'll have to wait until after I have sewn it to weigh, since it has a lot of pins stuck in it right now. They didn't have the 6 yards of fabric that I wanted to purchase, so I got the 5.75 yards they did have. My fiance's about 5'2" so I figure that the 8.25' long hammock will be sufficient.
Since I don't expect to have access to a sewing machine until spring break (another week), this is all that I can do at the moment. I've got the thread and the bobbin loaded... just waiting. The anticipation is killing me!
I do have some scraps of the 1.1 oz left over. I think that I might be able to make them into a set of hammock tubes, or perhaps a stuff sack. I'll have to measure them and see what I've got. Maybe this'll keep me busy for a day or two. I certainly hope so!
I figured that I would keep this thread updated as I go along, sort of a journal of my experience. Any suggestions/comments are welcome!
Got them hemmed and sewn together!
First of all, after reading some threads about it, I decided to go with something along the lines of the BlackBishop Bag. These two first practice bags are nothing like what I will eventually make, but they will suffice for now.
Originally Posted by froldt
Well, I got the hammocks hemmed and sewn together last night! It took longer than I thought because... well, we'll get to that in a minute.
My sister brought over her sewing machine and after supper I was able to get started. I cut one of my pieces of scrap in half and made two stuff sacks (simple fold-over bags with a channel sewn in the top to run a cord through.)
Confident that I could hem the hammocks, I started. And that's where it all went wrong... I finished the first hem, all the way around. Apparently when I was changing projects, I bumped the tension setting, from 9 to 0. So on the top of the hammock it looked fine, on the bottom, I used at least 4 times the length of thread that was needed. So as to not waste it, I went back and got real familiar with my stitch ripper. I was able to save almost 3 full bobbins worth of thread, and had to throw away at least two more. :(
So, once I got it all undone, I was able to sew it back together and then sew the other three sheets (two double hammocks).
It was late but I decided to go ahead and sew the hammocks together. I went with sort of a modified zHammock design. The red lines are where I sewed the two layers together, and the black lines I left separate so that a pad can be inserted.
Once the sewing was finished, as much as I wanted to get to the whipping, it was time for bed. I've got the materials to get them both whipped and hung, but I won't be able to get around to that till tonight. I still need some cord for ridgelines, but at least I'll be able to get them hung and put to use!