Thread Injector Woes
So I was resizing a hat the other day and my trusty Brother XL-5130 had other ideas and did a partial disintegration right before my eyes.:scared: The needle attachment would not re-attach. So I went on ebay and bid on and won a 1950ish Singer 328K in great working condition. I received it the other day and the case and machine were broken in shipment. :crying I did get my money back and am waiting to see if I need to ship it back or give it to FedEx.
So I went back to my Brother and was able to re-attach the needle with an allen wrench and figured "At least I can finish my project". No Dice. The machine apparently is done sewing. So now I have 2 broken machines and no way to finish my projects.:( Now I have to either take 1 (or both depending) to the repair guy or shell out big bucks for a new one. I'm so very sad. Thanks for reading my vent.
Thanks, I have to find out what's wrong first. It won't catch with the bobbin thread and after 3 or so stitches, it breaks the thread. I've adjusted the tension among other things and it is just being stubborn at this point. I have to take it into the shop. I've been pretty hard on the old guy. He's about 10 years old which is pretty good for a plastic cheapie one. I'm hoping I get to keep the old broken Singer and I can use the money I got refunded to fix it. This Brother has never liked doing anything heavy duty.
Best of luck. If you were closer, I'd let you borrow mine.
Pics would help. You may not have gotten the collar on the way it should go. So check that against the pictures in the manual. Everything should be nice and snug with no wobble or vibration at all.
But also make sure the needle is properly seated all the way in and is put in properly. They _must_ go in a certain way or they will not work and the thread gets totally clogged. There is no real universal guide for that. There is a flat side to the needle which orients it. It has to go in properly or what you describe will happen every time. Oh... and it is easy to mess that up. Even expert stitchers do it on occasion.
Start with the simple.
Originally Posted by Fibby
- What kind of thread are you using? If it's Coats and Clark from Walmart, that could be your problem. Try using Gutermann's.
- Has your machine been cleaned recently?
- And did you adjust both the top and bottom (bobbin) tension?
+1 on that! (yes voice of experience)
Originally Posted by Ramblinrev
if you got money back on shipped machine, maybe you could use that to pay the Repair guy? of the 2, I would endorse repairing the Singer over the Brother.
also, check your local 'quilting specialty shop'; usually they will either have or know of a guy who does the older machines.
HTH, KM (who is way too susceptible to buying sewing machines at garage sales..)
I bought two machines at yard sales. The first one was a Sears Kenmore and it sews wonderfully. The machine is about 30 years old and if it ever breaks no parts are available, but for $10 you can't go wrong.
The second machine I bought, was right next door to the first one I bought. (community yard sale) It is a Singer and I got it for $15. It worked great but the bobbin encasement was loose. I got it fixed and serviced for $59 and it now sews wonderfully.
You have to be careful at yard sales and garage sales, but I was very fortunate. Look them over very carefully and if you can ask them to plug it in and demostrate it works. Some folks will gladly do that for you. Good luck to you. :)
I heard from the seller and the Singer is mine to do with what I want. I found a local repair shop but the guy wants $125 just for labor (and that quote was just over the phone) I found a thread from someone on another site having the same problem I am having with the Singer and the reply she got fixed it. It might just be a loose belt. I'm going to try that tonight (fingers crossed). I agree that the Singer would be the one to fix.
I will try turning the needle around on the Brother and see if that helps. I'm going to open it up and take a look inside as well. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I'll have some good news tonight.
I am very happy to report that BOTH machines are now fixed and working great.:woot: The Singer had a loose belt that took me a little bit to figure out but it is now running smoothly. The Brother's needle clamp was on backwards (Thanks Ramblinrev) and now that is sewing perfectly as well. Thanks so much for your help. This place is awesome!!!:thumbup: