The 2012 Lake Greenwood, Goat Island Hang in Greenwood, SC. May 17-20, 2012
I canít believe it is already 2012. Time to start learning to write the date all over again and also time to start planning the third annual Goat Island Hang. This year promises to be bigger and better than last year (and last year was AWESOME! if you donít believe me check this out -http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=goat+island)
Reservations for Goat Island this year are for the weekend of May 17th thru May 20th. This is the weekend prior to Memorial Day Weekend and also the weekend just before the Linville Gorge Hang so you donít have to choose between the two. Attend them both. We have found in the past that some like to have the option to come out a day early so we now make the reservations for Thursday thru Sunday. However, no pressure for Thursday. In fact, showing up on Saturday is fine too.
In order to get to the island, you will need a boat or chip in for gas if someone is able to provide a shuttle that weekend. Just make sure not to call whomever offers this service the Goat Island Fairy :) Typically we have a group dinner on Saturday evening with the last two years being ďLow Country Beaufort Frogmore Boil StewĒ. Dessert was also a big hit the last two years where we were treated to some fine talented Dutch Oven cooks. Peach cobbler, blackberry cobbler, and an upside down peach cake... all topped ďa la modeĒ. Talk about being in heaven...
This will be a kid-friendly event so please feel free to bring your family along (that being said... please temper your activities and conversations appropriately). In the past there has not been an agenda other than hang out, have fun, and when do we eat? The kids and adults spent a lot of time in the water. Swimming, boating , fishing, skiing, and tubing were a big hit last year(skiing, tubing, and shuttling thanks to Swampfox!). This year we hope to provide even more opportunities for fun by setting up a compass course on the island to teach or test orienteering skills. The possibilities for fun are not limited by the size of the island (pic)- there is even a geocache on the island.
Also, this year we plan on having a silent auction. I already have commitments to donate for this event from some of our much beloved cottage vendors (DIY Gear Supply, Dutchware,Mountaingoat Gear, Wilderness Logics and others not wishing to be named). The funds raised by this will go to Greenwood Lake Management Department (GLMD) to help in the maintenance of the island campsites.
In order to comply with the reservations we have already made with the GLMD, please make sure to sign up on the roster located here: (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0) There is no fee for camping, just sign up and claim yourself a spot and try to adhere to the GLMD rules as outlined in the fine print at the very bottom of this post :D
Goat Island has no facilities therefor all water for consumption will be brought to the island. We will have access to additional water if needed but there is a small convenience store at Moonís Landing where basic supplies can be purchased. With that said, also note that there are no restrooms so please be prepared to dispose of all waste properly (ie. catholes, baggies, personal porta-potties, etc.).
Here is the address for the secure parking place at:
Moon Landing RV Park & Marina
4105 Watts Bridge Road
Cross Hill, SC 29332-5049
Per GMLD because itís my name on the permit-
Map of Goat Island in Reference to Moon's Landing on Lake Greenwood.
- No cutting of trees shall be permitted on the Island, or destruction of trees and other plant life.
- Absolutely no littering. All trash and litter brought to the Island must be removed by the expiration of this permit.
- Campfires must be built in such a way as to prevent spread of the fire and must be completely extinguished prior to the expiration of this permit. Fires can only be used to burn dead wood gathered on the Island or brought to the Island. Burning trash is prohibited.
- There will be no camping in the backside of the Island facing the Greenwood County shoreline. All campsites must face the lake body.
- The use of alcohol (in moderation. please use your discretion) or illegal drugs is absolutely prohibited. (However, . . . we "assume" this rule is to reduce any liability of the GLMD from any "irresponsible" behaviors associated from such consumption therefore we leave the responsibility to each person to conduct themselves accordingly. Don't advertise it, abuse it, and so on.)
- Any violation of the above provisions of this permit will result in the immediate revocation of same, the forfeiture of the privilege to receive future permits, and/or prosecution for criminal and civil liabilities that might arise from these violations.
- Checkout time is 2 pm.
Zoomed in view of the above map
brought to you by chickenwing and Muskrat!