M50 Summer Under Quilt
I have spent the last day and a half making my new summer under quilt. Thru Hiker M50 (Aegean Blue, which is not as dark as I was hoping) and 4.5oz of a stash of Wilderness Logics 850 down.
I roughly used this thread as a basis: Summer weight, sewn thru under quilt - instructions
There are 9 channels each with .5oz of ~850 down in each.
My inner piece of fabric is 43.5"x54" with markings for the channels every 4.5". Each marking was then darted 17" down and .5" wide.
The outer piece of fabric is 59"x54" with markings for the channels every 6.25". Each marking was then darted 17" down and 1" wide.
I used 3/32 shock cord for gathering the ends and for the suspension (which is tied to the ends and does not run down side channels).
Weight is 313g/11.05oz, which is more than I was planning on (I was hoping to be under 10oz). I guess I'll have to try again some time.
Great job! Thank you for sharing.
How was working with the M50?
You have to stretch it just enough to keep it from bunching but not too tight or it wants to slide. It is a little less slick than sil, but thinner.
Great job Jeremy! Sharp looking quilt!
Hey, that quilt looks great! I'm glad my instructions helped out. Honestly though, I don't think I will ever do a sewn through quilt again. Baffles are a lot easier for me. But yours came out beautifully!
Thank you. I'll be using it very soon. I do wish it were a little darker, but...oh well. I'm glad you like it.
Originally Posted by Callahan
Thanks. The sewn through wasn't bad, but baffles are a little easier. I'm glad it worked out. Thanks for the help with that post.
Originally Posted by MAD777
Awesome job dude! You are becoming a pro with the M50.
I agree with you, that Blue sure does look a lot different on their site. Thanks a bunch for pointing that out.
I'm glad you said something about the Aegean Blue as well, I had been eyeing that and thought it was closer to navy blue. That looks a lot closer to the Royal Blue M90 that they show. http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php
Nice job Jeremy! That's a great looking quilt.
Could you add some details about how you made the darts?
Yeah, I really like the M50. I'm glad I was the one to find out about the M50 so you all wouldn't have to.
Originally Posted by Fronkey
I was thinking the same thing. I'll be calling later to Thru Hiker to ask.
Originally Posted by Corncob
To do the darts I marked 17" down from the seam allowance along the length of the quilt on top of the lines that would make up the chambers. I measured on either side of the channel line (chamber line...whatever) half the distance of whatever dart I was doing to either side of the line (example: 1" dart= .5" on either side of line). Make these marks at the top of the line on the seam allowance mark. Draw a line from each side mark (in this example .5") to the mark down the line (17"). You will end up with a triangle whose point is toward the center of the quilt.
Originally Posted by adkphoto
Make sure that you have the face on the outside and make the top marks touch. Sew down the triangle line and over the point (at 17"). The dart is done.