Thoughts on my RL??
Hey, so I was about to make a whoopie asl and had one of those stupid moments where I thought I could do better, on the upside it works but then again it is my first experience with splice-able rope, (amsteel 7/64) it only arrived 20 minutes before I started it!
Also If someone else has done this before, throw me in that direction please!
Basically what I have done is made a 24 inch dog bone and taken a 3 yard section with a fixed eye in one end, prussic looped one end of the dog bone to the large section then put a 12 inch bury(?) with a tail coming out like a whoopie or constrictor(?) through the dog bone sorry not that sure of terminology yet!
This might Help.
I dont know what youre asking. Ive done alot with amsteel but im lost as to what you are trying to do. So are u trying to make a whoopie or a ridgeline?
Sorry, I just read that over and I really wasn't clear, it is a ridgeline. I have read that constrictors don't hold very well because there is no tension on one end,so I thought the prussic would help with holding it better, and would save using a biner on the adjustable end because there is only one length of rope.
It does work but not sure if there is a better way to do it or some reason it shouldn't be done like this.
I'm sorry I really don't know if that is any clearer, I will try and post more pics.
Ok well im sorry, ive gone ridgelineless and havent played with my amstell for that reason. ive made tons of whoopies and soft shakles. I like the your idea though. I might try a ridgeline this weekend. does the prussic slip on the amsteel. i tried it once and it seemed to slip a little
This might help clear things up a little, the left side is the adjustable line and it means you can have a much greater adjustability without as much amsteel being used, the prussic is supposed to be there just to keep the constricting section closed so the constricted section cant slide. the prussic doesn't slide with me pulling on it, maybe if it had my weight on it but that shouldn't (hopefully) happen.
What you made is a UCR (utility constrictor rope) Many methods have been used to keep tension on the non-loaded side of the constrictor, but I don't think I seen your solution before and it would appear to be a very nice one.:thumbup1:
Here's a couple of links...
Yeah thanks, I knew I'd seen a name for it before. I hope it works as well as I think it will because I'm going on my first (outdoor) overnighter on Monday for min. 3 nights. :eek:
Originally Posted by gmcttr
Your solution to the keeping tension on the other end of the UCR is quite good IMO. Many use something to keep that end from moving like tiny O-rings, or silicone tubing or some smaller line to accomplish the same thing you have done. In the past I just took a small continuous loop of mason twine and formed a prusik and attached it to the constrictor. I like your method and may give it a try.