suggestions to de-burr titanium?
I made myself a cookpot pot-stand and windscreen similar to other commercially available cones. Once out of paper, once out of aluminum flashing, and a final one from some Ti foil courtesy of Titanium Goat.
Cutting was a breeze (though the scissors I was using might disagree). But punching the air holes proved more of a challenge than I had expected. Two busted hole punches later (yeah, I'm a quick learner - surprised it didn't take a third!) I gave up on them working and headed for ye ole drill press. One formerly-sharp bit later and I have holes!
However, many of the holes have burrs - spots around the edges of the holes where the material pushed and tore rather than cutting out cleanly.
I've tried various dremel tool attachments to little effect. Time to hit the forum.
Does anybody have thoughts on how to de-burr Ti? Bear in mind that while it's going to be a user, I would prefer not to completely trash the cone in the process (a ******* file might be an option, but unless someone here has a better solution I think sandpaper and some serious hand protection are my next attempt).
Looking forward to what all might think. It's my first run-in with Ti foil and it's been a really fun little project!
Working with titanium is work
I do a lot of work with titanium, though mostly with thicker material than foil. I would first hammer the burr down on a flat metal surface of a bench vice, then file or sand. For small holes, I will often use a punch followed by hammer and file, rather than trying to drill it. A drill press with sandwich technique might work well, but have not tried that technique.