First winter hang in 2 weeks! Sort of worried...
Hey guys! Been lurking for awhile, but don't post often. I've done plenty of hanging in the summer, but never been out overnight in anything less than 45 degrees. In 2 weeks, I'm going with some friends to Virgin Falls in Sparta, TN. None of us have ever done any winter hiking before, so it should be interesting. I'm expecting a high of 50ish and low of 30ish.
I plan on hanging in my back yard one night next week just to get a feel for it. It should be in the mid-20's then, so if I can handle that then I can surely handle 30 degrees for a few nights.
During the summer, I usually take:
- ENO DN hammock w/ whoopie slings
- Rain tarp
- 20 degree mummy sleeping bag
- CCF pad from Walmart
- Hot water bottle in my sleeping bag
- Aside from the clothes I wear while hiking, I usually just take shorts and an extra pair of socks to sleep in.
1) I'm planning on taking a light jacket for during the day and thermal underwear to sleep in. Will that suffice?
2) I'm a bit limited on money right now, so I can't make any big purchases (would love an UQ). Any cheap items I could buy that would help me stay warm?
3) Any other general tips for the cold weather?