This past weekend at the Spring MAHHA hang, I introduced a new hammock called the ThunderBird. I was so busy doing demos and speaking with the great folks there that I didn't get any usable photos during the hang. Below is a photo that Yoda was kind enough to post.
The body is based on the DangerBird and RoamingGnome style hammocks.
- The net and overcover are completely removeable thanks to dual, custom made #5 separating zippers that run along both sides of the hammock. Same zipper operation as the RoamingGnome and DangerBird that allows entry/exit from either side of the hammock. (Note - This zipper configuration does not allow for extra zipper slides to be added.)
- The peak bags are now removable. They are attached to the hammock peaks for storing the net and/or overcover while out in the woods, but can be unattached for storage at home when you don't need them.
- The reflective grosgrain loops now feature built-in pack hooks weighing 1.4 grams each. 4 pack hooks are placed 16" from the ends of the hammock to help hold your UQ suspension in place. 4 pack hooks are placed in the normal tie-out locations.
- The shock cord tie-outs are completely removable and can be used to help anchor the head end or foot end of your UQ. Just unclip the tie-out, feed your UQ suspension over top and then re-attach the tie-out.
- The overall weight of the 11ft ThunderBird in this photo (DL 1.9/1.1) was 43.5oz. That's about 1.1oz heavier than an equivalent DangerBird. The netting or overcover & a peak bag weighs somewhere around 5.5oz. This means leaving the cover or netting at home will trim approx 4.4oz off the overall weight.
- Available in 10ft and 11ft length with either a single layer or double layer.
- Same ability to mix and match any available fabric to get the hammock you want.
- Most of the other details like suspensions and ridgeline organizer are the same as the DB or RG hammocks.
- It looks like the cost on this one is gonna be about $35 more than a DangerBird.
10 ft Single Layer = $210.00
11 ft Single Layer = $235.00
10 ft Double Layer = $250.00
11 ft Double Layer = $275.00
In the next few days, I hope to add this hammock to my site and begin to gather data about specific weights, etc. I will add information and details as I get the opportunity.
Oh.... and Happy Zipper Day!!
Dang it Randy, another thing to add to my wish list...
Looks great Randy! I love the stand too!!
Randy---- does that mean that the Dangerbird could be alterd to be like the Thunderbird....? :D
Thanks. I had 3 stands made up a couple weeks ago and they're going straight into the workshop. No more hanging from the ceiling for me! They use 1.25" aluminum tubing and cast aluminum fittings and are light enough that I'll be able to easily slide them around where needed.
Originally Posted by DivaB
No no! Don't start that talk. Greenman :scared:
Originally Posted by Greenman
No seriously, it would be quite a job to rip out the existing DB zippers for replacement. Not a job that I'd be looking forward to.
Okay...... just thought I would ask..... Love my Dangerbird.....:boggle: Maybe I will have to save some cash so I can get the Thunderbird.,.,..:D
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
I was lucky enough to get a demo of this new hammock from Papa Smurf at MAHHA, and based on a close look my impression was that this is a really excellent piece of engineering and craftsmanship.
This one is at the top of my list for my next hammock purchase.
It sounds awesome. I plan on using my gorgeous new Dangerbird through this summer at least before I invest in another. Thank you for continuing to produce such great products.
Sounds amazing PapaSmurf! I am one of the few who has yet to grab a dream hammock creation but soon enough!