Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    somebody should send e-wins a copy of this thread and we could request they pay a stipend for all this free press!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Reminded of an old cliche

You get what you pay for.
    Take that into consideration when you're reading this.

Not a well made hammock. I have a whole list of issues after only 20 minutes in it.

1. It looks just like the HAABs we are accustomed to seeing. Stitch patterns and placements are identical, cinching/whipping is identical, but the fabric is not. This appears to be quite a bit lighter than the parachute material used by others.

2. The bug netting is attached with a single row of stitching and it isn't even a finished hem! Not only is the raw edge of netting sticking out just waiting to be snagged on something, but the edges aren't even straight. It looks like the mountain range west of me; up and down, diagonal, ruts where someone corrected their line while cutting. Real mess.

3. Let's talk about the stitching. Not a straight line to be found. Well, that's a lie. Some sections are fairly straight, but for the most part it looks wavy. Just not used to that in a commercial rig. Several points where the stitches are very loose. To the point that I can pick them with my meaty fingers and pull them away from the material.

4. While they attempted to clone a traditional HAAB, they must have missed something important. The seam that attaches the narrow pieces of fabric to the main hammock body is...different. I can feel the ridge they create when I'm diagonal in the hammock. Right under my head. Not good.

5. The main (large) piece of fabric has a visible raw edge of fabric. Not sure if raw edge is the correct term, but that section of fabric that is gripped by the machines when they are making it is what I'm talking about. I can only assume that weakens that section, but I could be wrong. Still, not fun looking thru pin holes in your brand new hammock.

6. No suspension provided; not even rope.

7. The rope they use to cinch the ends is LARGE. I'm gonna burn a chunk later to see what it is, but I swear it looks and feels like cotton. Stretches like you wouldn't believe too. Combine that with the Slap Straps I used for suspension and...ummmm...WOW! At least, 18" of drop after the initial drop from getting in.

8. It is double zipped, which is nice, but the zips don't go to the ends. So, no throwing the netting out of the way. They claim you can flip it and use it sans netting; didn't try it.

9. I don't like the tan netting. No good reason, just the way it is.

10. I'm sure there is more, but I didn't think to take a notebook and pen with me to write down issues. I'm an optimist.

Now, it is only $25 so I can't really complain. I'd say it's worth $25 as long as I don't have to pay shipping, which I didn't. The netting has a couple of small pockets on the inside. They won't hold much weight and they aren't very big, but at least it is a convenience.

Now you guys and gals know that I try to find something nice to say about every hammock I stumble across. I mentioned it has pockets in the netting right? That and the price are about all I have to say good at this point. If this is your first hammock, great! It won't run you off. If you've got other hammocks already, don't waste the $25. Use it to buy some Amsteel or something.

This hammock is not "Cannibal Approved". Sorry.
    Trust nobody!

First time hanger 2nd time poster... I'm looking for my first rig. A co-worker has me green with envy because he has a BB on it's way in a week. I, on the other hand, am on a tighter budget and am looking for something I can take on a Boy Scout weekend to see how it is. I figure I'll take my Alps Mountaineering tent with me just in case, but I hope to be a hanger for life... That being said, I'm thinking this would be a great way to enter into the trees with little green...

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Not a well made hammock.
    Oh, well. I'll have to buy/make another...

Let's make it a learning experience. Cannibal, what weight would you say this fabric is? For that matter what is it (e.g., non-ripstop nylon)?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah Gear
    Insulation
    Warbonnet 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web

1. It looks just like the HAABs we are accustomed to seeing. Stitch patterns and placements are identical, cinching/whipping is identical, but the fabric is not. This appears to be quite a bit lighter than the parachute material used by others.
    OK... I'm still new at this... what is HAAB?

Quote Originally Posted by JimYount View Post
    OK... I'm still new at this... what is HAAB?
    HAAB - "Hook And Attached Bag" refers to hammocks like ENO, TTTM, Trek Light, etc

Check out the Hammock Acronyms Link off the home page.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sfrye5853 View Post
    First time hanger 2nd time poster... I'm looking for my first rig. A co-worker has me green with envy because he has a BB on it's way in a week. I, on the other hand, am on a tighter budget and am looking for something I can take on a Boy Scout weekend to see how it is. I figure I'll take my Alps Mountaineering tent with me just in case, but I hope to be a hanger for life... That being said, I'm thinking this would be a great way to enter into the trees with little green...

Your thoughts?
    You know what, upon further reflection I think I've become a hammock snob/elitist. This hammock really isn't much different from the one that got me hooked on hangin; inexpensive yet functional hammock. It is a good enough hammock to get started, but I don't think it's going to last the test of time.

I would lend it to a friend to try and it will go into my hammock arsenal, but it isn't a hammock I would buy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChristie View Post
    Oh, well. I'll have to buy/make another...

Let's make it a learning experience. Cannibal, what weight would you say this fabric is? For that matter what is it (e.g., non-ripstop nylon)?
    I've no clue what the fabric weight is; I know I can see my hand through it. Total weight out of the box with the steel 'S' hooks is: 21.8 ounces. Remember, that does not include any suspension.

I'm going to lend this one out to one of the neighborhood kids that has been bugging me to set-up a hammock every time he sees me coming home. I have a feeling he will put it through a durability test with much more zeal than I would. My money says the netting rips within a week with a kid in it, but we'll see. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You know what, upon further reflection I think I've become a hammock snob/elitist. This hammock really isn't much different from the one that got me hooked on hangin; inexpensive yet functional hammock. It is a good enough hammock to get started, but I don't think it's going to last the test of time.

I would lend it to a friend to try and it will go into my hammock arsenal, but it isn't a hammock I would buy again.

I've no clue what the fabric weight is; I know I can see my hand through it. Total weight out of the box with the steel 'S' hooks is: 21.8 ounces. Remember, that does not include any suspension.

I'm going to lend this one out to one of the neighborhood kids that has been bugging me to set-up a hammock every time he sees me coming home. I have a feeling he will put it through a durability test with much more zeal than I would. My money says the netting rips within a week with a kid in it, but we'll see. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
    Got mine yesterday. Had bought it for my 13 yo. He set it up right away without any difficulty (1st time setting one up for him) and was very comfortable in it. I didn't see any flaws in the stiching or netting and I didn't expect the same level of finish and features as compared to a $200 WBBB. I agree that it'll need a couple of mods for the straps but for $25 I am very satisfied. This is a great way to introduce a person, especially scouts, to hanging and if they like it then they can always upgrade.

just my .02

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anderle View Post
    Got mine yesterday. Had bought it for my 13 yo. He set it up right away without any difficulty (1st time setting one up for him) and was very comfortable in it. I didn't see any flaws in the stiching or netting and I didn't expect the same level of finish and features as compared to a $200 WBBB. I agree that it'll need a couple of mods for the straps but for $25 I am very satisfied. This is a great way to introduce a person, especially scouts, to hanging and if they like it then they can always upgrade.

just my .02
    That's good to hear! It's possible I got a 'bad one' and I hope that's the case. I agree that smaller sized people (kids) should find it comfortable. The only thing that made it uncomfortable was the seam under my shoulders and head. That isn't an issue for a smaller person. The neighbor kid thought it was great. My concern with kids, at least with the one I was shipped, is durability. All the loose threads and exposed edges wouldn't seem to hold up under a kid's abuse.

Very glad you are having a better experience.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Take that into consideration when you're reading this.

Not a well made hammock. I have a whole list of issues after only 20 minutes in it.

2. The bug netting is attached with a single row of stitching and it isn't even a finished hem! Not only is the raw edge of netting sticking out just waiting to be snagged on something, but the edges aren't even straight. It looks like the mountain range west of me; up and down, diagonal, ruts where someone corrected their line while cutting. Real mess.

3. Let's talk about the stitching. Not a straight line to be found. Well, that's a lie. Some sections are fairly straight, but for the most part it looks wavy. Just not used to that in a commercial rig. Several points where the stitches are very loose. To the point that I can pick them with my meaty fingers and pull them away from the material.

4. While they attempted to clone a traditional HAAB, they must have missed something important. The seam that attaches the narrow pieces of fabric to the main hammock body is...different. I can feel the ridge they create when I'm diagonal in the hammock. Right under my head. Not good.

5. The main (large) piece of fabric has a visible raw edge of fabric. Not sure if raw edge is the correct term, but that section of fabric that is gripped by the machines when they are making it is what I'm talking about. I can only assume that weakens that section, but I could be wrong. Still, not fun looking thru pin holes in your brand new hammock.

6. No suspension provided; not even rope.

7. The rope they use to cinch the ends is LARGE. I'm gonna burn a chunk later to see what it is, but I swear it looks and feels like cotton. Stretches like you wouldn't believe too. Combine that with the Slap Straps I used for suspension and...ummmm...WOW! At least, 18" of drop after the initial drop from getting in.

8. It is double zipped, which is nice, but the zips don't go to the ends. So, no throwing the netting out of the way. They claim you can flip it and use it sans netting; didn't try it.

9. I don't like the tan netting. No good reason, just the way it is.

10. I'm sure there is more, but I didn't think to take a notebook and pen with me to write down issues. I'm an optimist.

Now, it is only $25 so I can't really complain. I'd say it's worth $25 as long as I don't have to pay shipping, which I didn't. The netting has a couple of small pockets on the inside. They won't hold much weight and they aren't very big, but at least it is a convenience.

Now you guys and gals know that I try to find something nice to say about every hammock I stumble across. I mentioned it has pockets in the netting right? That and the price are about all I have to say good at this point. If this is your first hammock, great! It won't run you off. If you've got other hammocks already, don't waste the $25. Use it to buy some Amsteel or something.

and here i was anticipating its arrival. **** you cannibal!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast