Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give me a reason not to hang my tarp on my hammock ridgeline

I have a structural ridgeline and a square tarp that I make a largeish tent over with a 9x11 nylon tarp. Any reason why I shouldn't hang my tarp over my ridgeline?

Im on the edge of making a continuous ridgeline, but dont want to if there isnt anything wrong with my current setup.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If you do that then when you get in your hammock your tarp will sag. That's how Hennessey recommends doing it and that's how I started out. I would stretch the tarp RL out super tight on the hammock suspension enough to minimize the amount of sag but that was with a diamond tarp. I have a feeling that will be more difficult with a larger tarp. I eventually switched to hanging my tarp separately. Another benefit of hanging it separate is that you can set it up how high you want. If it's on the hammock RL it's going to be down low no matter what. Hang it separate and you can set it up high enough to walk under without hunching over and have plenty of ventilation. Or drop it down low to hold in heat, reduce wind and add more protection from rain.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Also if you hang your tarp on the hammock-rl the ends of the hammock won't be covered (or maybe just barely) which can get you very wet.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    You can hang it there if you want. The only real "problem" I see with it is, as was mentioned, confined space. There's just no head room under the tarp, and you have to stay crouched when getting in/out of the hammock.

http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/r...-hammock-tarp/

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Yeah. Tarp on the hammock ridgeline is the suck. But don't take our word for it. Do it yourself for a while. You'll see why we all hang our tarps separately

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You're essentially talking about making your tarp an "overcover" which typically come with breathing holes so you don't get condensation from your breath raining down on you. You can still pull the tarp down close to you as needed, but another 6" or so above the hammock RL would make a big difference. Plus, I personally just don't like a tarp down on me so close. In fact, I often tie my tarp above where my hammock straps are on the tree - the more I feel like I'm out in the open, the better.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    My concern would be the tarp being too close to the hammock and effect getting in and out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet xlc
    Tarp
    hg cf and spinn
    Insulation
    synthetic
    Suspension
    straps/ dynaglide
    I have in the past had success in hanging a tarp from my hammock suspension. The key is a 30 degree hang angle and shock cord tensioners on every tie point of the tarp. You can do without the tensioners, but it is not quite as good. Prussick knots will be your friend in this setup. Bottom line is you can make it work, and ain't that what its all about? Hennessey also recommends different than a thirty degree hangle...hyoh and if it works for you do it. I am actually I'm the process of a hh diy clone and will be employing this system. Pm me if you would like more detail op. Take care.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Ive hung a few times like this and didnt have a ton of issues, but sag was a thing and it sealed against my hammock sides and caused condensation issues. I just bought some dutch clips and a stringerz for a continuous ridgeline for my tarp. Hope it ships fast!

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    I use an a-sym tarp quite often using 1/8" shock cord as prussics on the hammock ridgeline - ala Hennessey style when I know the weather isn't going to be terrible. My tarp ends up about 12 to 18 inches or so above the ridgeline and have no sag in the morning from any stretching of the tarp fabric. This is a very minimal approach and not everyone likes the fiddle factor. I like it as I can bundle everything together for fast setup and take down.

048.JPG

049.JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast