Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

A Weekend on the SHT

This past weekend I decided to try a new adventure that Kurk Papke informed me about while on the NCT group hang back in June. A few of us were talking around the fire about whether we normally took solo trips or with a group. I am normally a solo backpacker simply because I just don't know too many people that enjoy hiking 10-15 miles a day with 20+ pounds strapped to there backs. Also sometimes you just need that time to your self to disconnect. That when Kurk told me about a group here in the Twin Cities that takes backpacking trips a few times a month and I should look into them. So after some lurking on their site(we all know what that's like) and summer full of solo treks, I found a trip that worked with my schedule and decide to take the plunge. It turned out to be a real good time.

I got to meet some really great people, one of whom is a fellow hanger. I told him about the forum so hopefully he will soon join us. (real interesting guy who work at the Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center)

I got to test out my new suspension on my HH (thanks Fin ).

Did some agget hunting. Didn't find any aggets but I did find this little guy. Anybody know what he is please let me know. About eight inches long with a red belly.

Took an exhilarating shower in Caribou Falls that literally took my breath away.

And of course getting to spend some time on the Superior Hiking Trail and along the North Shore.

After years of mostly solo hikes, twice in one summer I decide to take a chance and meet a group of strangers in the woods and end up making some wonderful memories. I think it speaks volumes to the type of people we have in our outdoor community. Looking forward to the next time we get to share a hang !

Peace, Ben
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Your snake is most likely a Northern Redbelly, and they have a lot in common with stormcrow. First the red part, and also they like slugs. Very common in that neck of the woods.

So you like the new suspension? You and Randy must be the only ones who have done anything with it. I have more, lots more. I will bring more to our SHT hang this fall.

People who enjoy the outdoors tend to have a lot in common. Meeting strangers is one of my most favorite things to do, and when you already know they share some of your interests, it is just that much easier to spend time getting to know them.

Can't wait til the fall trip!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Very funny tad...

Looks like you had a great time Ben. That picture of you in the falls is hilarious. You look like you are a little chilly! LOL. Looking forward to hanging with you again sometime. You are right, it IS hard to find people to match particular hiking styles.

SC

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images

Sht

Looks awesome Ben! I'm heading up there with a buddy from work tomorrow night.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post

Randy
    What part of the SHT are planning to do?
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images

section

We'll get up there late tomorrow night and hit the Silver Creek site. It's one of my favs. I think we're going to hike back out and then drive up to Caribou Trail on Thursday. Probably try to stay at Spruce Creek Thursday night then maybe continue on over the next couple of days around the Cascade River and catch the shuttle back to the car on Sunday.

Option #2 is tomorrow night and Thursday the same but then hike out Friday morning and move on down the road to try another section and another one of my favorite camp sites and then do the same on Saturday. What ever we do, we're going to make sure we're near some water as it's going to be a little warmer than usual.

The reason for option #2, my friend would like to see some different sections of trail and have the opportunity to resupply at the car. I did a trip similar to this in the spring with my daughter. It was a little different than what I usually do but fun.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    Hey, that hanging site looked like a spot from a couple of years ago. Except that left tree was dead and it caved in to the right, putting me 6 inches above the ground! Heading up there the last week of August. Have to get my wife out to Egge Lake and into a hammock! Nice pics.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eyewall View Post
    Have to get my wife out to Egge Lake and into a hammock! Nice pics.
    I was South Egge Lake campground two weekends ago. Nice area and great lake, but not a lot of great hanging options within the actual campsite. Have to branch out a bit up the hill to find optimal hanging!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    So you like the new suspension? You and Randy must be the only ones who have done anything with it. I have more, lots more. I will bring more to our SHT hang this fall.

Can't wait til the fall trip!
    Yes I do ! Thanks. I definitely speeds up set-up and tear-down.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Looks like you had a great time Ben. That picture of you in the falls is hilarious. You look like you are a little chilly! LOL.
    The water was freezing. I thought just maybe since it was the beginning of Aug. it might be tolerable. IT WASN'T

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post

Randy
    Have fun and let us know how it goes.
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Trail envy here!!!!!
    Glad it was fun and they were not ax murderers ........ just like we were all thinkin' at the Northern Hang.
    Hope to hike again with you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast