11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings

Hammock Hiker needs help going on a diet

So I've been off the ground for about a year, and am really starting to like hammock camping. I do a good bit out of my car, but also like to hike as well. I've been using my ENO which is comfortable for me, but have started to realize how heavy their gear is. I'm looking at getting a lighter weight hammock to hang under a superfly tarp and have started looking at some of the small venders here for a single layer hammock ( I use underquilts, not a pad). I'm 5'6 138 pounds. I need help deciding on the length (10 vs 11 feet), and also the fabric, 1.1 vs the 1.6. Can anyone speak to the advantages and disadvantages of each? I was thinking that the 1.6 may be a little better in terms of not stretching out as much. In terms of length, would the 11 feet be more comfortable? I'm guessing that it could still fit under a tarp with an 11 ft ridgeline or should I just go with a 10 ft hammock to be safe? I was looking at two vendors, simply light and bias.
    Last edited by ebrianschmidt; 10-11-2014 at 18:16.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a big fan of 11 ft. hammocks, but I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. I'm also not too fond of 1.1 oz fabric; not durable enough for my tastes.

The BIAS Hiker Lite is a great value at $29.95, and it's polyester, which I prefer to stretchy nylon.

Speaking of great value, Dutch is now selling hammocks in 1.4 oz. PolyD and 1.6 Argon. Check it out.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=argon

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...chwaregear-com

$30 for a 10 ft. or $32 in an 11 ft., plus discount on suspension of your choice.

And yes, an 11 ft. hammock will work fine under a Superfly (assuming you have a hammock ridgeline; if not, you might have a problem).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my 11 foot Warbonnet XLC (1.9) under my 11' ridgeline DIY Blackcrow tarp.
    I'm 6' and find this hammock very comfy...more so even than my 1.1 Blackbird.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm 5'4" and so far I have been very comfy in 9', 10', 11' and 12' hammocks. I have an 8' hammock lined up for more testing. I found that length is not the most important factor for my comfort. But everybody is different.

Longer hammocks might be more forgiving, but shorter hammocks have the advantage of being lighter, allowing you to hang your hammock in tighter spaces, and giving you more coverage with an average sized tarp (but you could save even more weight when switching to a shorter tarp). If you have the patience and are willing to spend a bit more money, you could get a simple hammock in 10' and 11', plus an adjustable ridgeline, and try out different gathering styles and hang angles. I find that longer hammocks often want more sag - while shorter hammocks get more comfy when hung tight. That's one of the reasons why I like my 10' WBBB best: it has the flattest lay of all hammocks I tried. I still like my 11' DIY hammock with a lot of sag and a pillow under my legs.

Another factor you should be aware of is the stretchiness of the hammock fabric. I haven't used an ENO, but I assume that it is made of generic "parachute" polyester. It probably has very little stretch. Most 1.1oz nylon fabrics and especially the 1.6oz Argon have quite a bit of stretch. I tried it and I can't tolerate that much stretch. A lot of people love it, though. Just be aware that stretch can change the comfort of a hammock very much (depending on what you like to the better or worse).

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    10' should do you just fine at your height. At ~138, you shouldn't notice any significant sag with 1.1 over 1.7+. I use 1.4 at 11', but I'm 6' and ~200 lbs.

The best thing you can do is spend ~$10 on cheap fabric and whip it at different lengths to see what length hammock feels most comfortable. You don't even need to hem the fabric; this is just to check length.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    See this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ammock-nirvana

Hammock vendors have charts to let you know which fabric is good for a given weight. For example: http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

Lighter fabrics stretch more but that is not necessarily a negative, as that may result in perceived added comfort. Having said that, for a single layer, you may want to choose something beyond 1.1, since that will make for a longer-lasting hammock, as suggested by SilvrSurfr.

I have a Weight Weenie 1.1 single-layer (13.7 ounces with complete suspension!) that I use for day hikes in good weather, a WB Traveler 11-footer 1.7 single-layer (20.7 ounces), which I am using as my indoor hammock (until I DIY an upcoming silk hammock), an SLD Trail Lair 1.1 double-layer (27.7 ounces) that I use for any overnight hike, and a WB BB XLC 1.7 single layer (28.5 ounces), that I am currently testing. They are all comfortable, but for me, the Trail Lair has a softness that makes it my favorite so far. Double-layer hammocks saddle you with added weight, but they tend to give better protection against mosquito bites. For some (including me) that protection is very important.

As far as the tarp/hammock combination, an eleven-foot hammock does fine under an an eleven-foot tarp, since the hammock will sag and in effect will be shorter that its fully-extended length. For example, an eleven-foot hammock will typically have an effective length of approximately nine feet, giving you one foot of safety-factor coverage on each side of the hammock.

By the way, that nine-foot would be the length of your hammock ridgeline, if your hammock has one. But the ridgeline is just a help to make hammock setup easier, more automatic, and some people don't use it and they do fine. The ridgeline also comes in handy to hang stuff from it, for example a flashlight or a ridgline organizer. But again, some people find that it gets in the way, and just remove it, once they get used to hanging the hammock at the proper height and angle.
    Last edited by Gravity; 10-09-2014 at 13:13.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check into the hiker lite and the 1.6 ripstop. At this point, I'm going to rule out the 1.1 fabric because as a rule, I prefer to sleep on something firmer. Now I just need to decide between 10 and 11 ft. Although they are not too expensive, so may end up with one of each eventually. You guys are so helpful on this forum.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Over the past year or so, I've used the ridge line a few times, mostly when I've needed a bug net. Otherwise, I've been leaving it off due to just hanging a short time, or hanging off my dyi turtle dog hammock stand on the astronomy fiekd , I.e. car camping. I tend to backpack a fer rimes each year for over night trips.

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Not really answering your question, but donīt forget to look at your overall pack weight. If you want to loose weight you should look at all items to figure out where you have most to gain. Itīs always a balancing act between comfort-cost-weight-ruggedness-other.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I personally have an Eno double nest as well as a 11ft DIY DL out of the Argon 1.6. The eno was my first hammock and its a bullet proof starter and many people stick with them. I too wanted to look at lighter options. I went with a DL because I am a mosquito magnet!!! I also use a ridgeline to help me hang and get a consistent nights sleep in varying conditions. The eno is definitely heavier though I was still comfortable. The stretch in the 1.6 Argon to me with the double layers is perfect. I get on a slight diagonal and I am out like a light until the deer snorting at me wakes me up. The double layer also allows pad in colder weather since I am saving for a nice UQ or hope 'Santa' will get me one since I've been good! The main difference to me in the 11ft versus the double nest is I've found I can get a slightly flatter lay on the 11 ft and less shoulder roll, I also manage to end up sorta on my side but still comfy.
    Puppy love melts even a cold heart

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast