11' Argon gathered end
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Year round bug net?

My first hammock was a Hennessy Deep Jungle XL. I like it, but have been thinking that some day I would like a lighter hammock.

Mosquitoes love me. The Hennessy has served me well, as I live in a very buggy area. If I need the mosquito net when it is warm, and it also retains warmth, why would it not be recommended year round? Is the weight savings the driving factor?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    That's the primary reason I've heard from folks. I have the HH Explorer Deluxe, bottom entry, but have the 2QZQ Mod #4 so that I can unzip and roll the bug net up into a peak bag. I've only done so a handful of times though. I've found that I use a bugnet both throughout the summer (because of bugs), and through the winter (for the warmth retention you mentioned above). The only times I've unzipped it completely were either during the day on a few summer/spring trips where bugs weren't an issue but needing a breeze was, or similar times in fall evenings for the same reasons. One other reason I prefer the attached bugnet...I don't lose my pillow/topquilt as it falls out of the hammock because I shifted around again.

So...I'm another person who prefers the net year-round.

When it is cold I sometimes use the bugnet for some added warmth but usually if its not mosquito time I like the open feeling of no net. I also like leaving the tarp off when the weather is nice. I think it puts me a little closer to the woods.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The vast majority think like you do. However, I don't. I like leaving the bugnet at home when it's not needed (which is whenever the overnight lows are 60* F or cooler - that's a lot of nights here in the Northeast). I also like the quick escape of a bottom-entry bugnet. I swing my feet out of the hammock and they're on the ground - no fumbling for the zipper. I also don't buy into the "retains warmth" argument. If I want to be warmer, I'll get more insulation. And frankly, I feel an integrated bugnet turns a relaxing hang into a claustrophobic nightmare.

Mosquitoes love me a lot. When I unzip that integrated bugnet, they follow me into the hammock. By the time I get zipped in, I've got a blood-sucking party going on, and I'm the main course. I never get unwanted intruders in a bottom-entry bugnet.

Here's a good thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...egrated+bugnet
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Three reasons for me:

1. Weight savings on colder trips. I don't really find that a bug net offers more than a ~5* difference in temperature for me. At ~4 oz for the lightest nets out there, that's an additional down vest--one that will gain me an additional ~15* difference in temperature.

2.) I like to look at the stars when I can. If I can go tarpless and netless on a clear, cold night, that makes the whole trip for me.

3.) Ease of construction. A Fronkey net is stupid easy to sew, whereas a zippered net requires much tighter tolerances to match the hammock without tearing or flopping all over the place.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I agree with FLRider's comments, but here's a few more.

It's also not just choosing independent bugnet over integrated. You're also choosing simple, gathered-end hammocks over more expensive, complex, multi-functional, zippered, Swiss-Army-knife hammocks. Things I like about simple, gathered-end hammocks:

1. They don't dictate how you lay. They could care less if you're head left/feet right. That increases the utility and versatility of them, in my mind. I got three kids and often loan my hammocks out to others as well. My friend weighs 350? Better give him the DL tablecloth hammock along with a bugnet. Mix and match.
    2. Price - simple, gathered-end hammocks are dirt cheap and there's lots of choices. I have maybe 8 or 10 hammmocks (I'm past counting). I don't think I paid more than $40 for any of them.
    3. Variety - I'm able to try more fabrics affordably and learn more about my individual preferences in the world of textiles. For example, I never knew I liked polyester hammocks, but you can get a poly taffeta tablecloth hammock for $12.99. BIAS sells the Hiker Lite for $24.95. I'm about to order a Dutch PolyD 1.4 and an Argon hammock, $32 each. Ripstopbytheroll has some new fabrics I might try. This is a fun time in the world of hammock fabrics!
    4. KISS - I always try to avoid multifunctional designs; Keep It Simple Stupid. I want my alarm clock to be an alarm clock. I don't want a clock/radio. I personally don't want gear shelves, gear lofts, peak bags, ridgeline organizers, overcovers or zippers integrated into my hammock. I want my hammock to be a hammock; I want my bugnet to be a bugnet. I want insulation to be insulation.

But some people like multifunction. An integrated bugnet makes sense to many; an insulated hammock makes sense to some, and there are even occasional attempts to integrate tarp and hammock. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody is working on a hammock with integrated bugnet, insulation and tarp.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-09-2014 at 01:26.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    I do like tie outs to keep the hammock out for me just makes it easier to hop in kinda thing
    like integrated so my pillow and insulation never falls out when mucking about
    and for the kids there pet animal and pillow and insulation never falls out which is handy
    like how the bug net is kept away and to me the zippers are quick unzip slide in zip up

I can also for sure see the benefit of single pieces and trying out many simple hammocks and changing things up
    I am sure I will keep playing around with both setups might have to get a nice bug net setup besides my ENO I have does not fit the dutch 11 foot

then again the hassle of pieces vs all integrated ?

would like my shoes inside a bug net nothing like finding a scorpion in your shoe in the morning !

I do think it would be fun to try all the fabrics and setups in various forms and I could sew good enough to handle those basics sewing on bug nets might be over my ability at this point kinda fun to play around with adjustable ridge line to feel dif setups and tweak a new hammock

nice thing is hammocks are cheap enough to have quite a few now if I can convince the wife of that but she did let me spend almost 2k on a nice base camp tent which I still love

kinda like anything why stick to one thing or one setup have it all

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-separate-etc
    Last edited by ckmaui; 10-09-2014 at 03:05.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    so for those who like separate bugnets which ones do you like and why do you like that style ? and do you change them up ever or kinda stick to the one style
    thanks

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwhite View Post
    If I need the mosquito net when it is warm, and it also retains warmth, why would it not be recommended year round? Is the weight savings the driving factor?
    No reason not to go with an integrated hammock in your case. I'm like you; the only time I'm not using a net is when hanging indoors and my room is free of mosquitos (~9 months of the year). When hanging outdoors, I would always take a net (or a top cover / winter sock when it's cold). This is why an integrated hammock is the best and lightest solution for me. Unless you go with a partial bug net, most integrated hammocks are a tad lighter than a no-net hammock plus bug sock. That said, there are integrated hammocks that are lighter than the Hennessys. So you still have some room to lighten up if you wanted to, even without going netless.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    so for those who like separate bugnets which ones do you like and why do you like that style ? and do you change them up ever or kinda stick to the one style
    thanks
    Personally, I like the Fronkey net (the one that BIAS sells). It's stupid easy to make; if you leave one end open and gather it with a drawcord, it's easy on and off even with stuff in the hammock; and it's easy to get into and out of.

I may actually make an overcover this winter from some uncalendared stuff in that pattern to see if it would work for me as an additional windbreak for cold, windy trips. Need to work out the math on whether that or a winter tarp would be the lighter (and/or cheaper) choice...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts