Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HH SS & bubble pad set up?

Hi all, I now have my Hennessy exped and SS and top cover,bubble pad
    Now I have watched the video on SS setups but I can't find anything about the bubble pad, is there a way to add it, or is it just what makes me comfortable? , what are the elastic ties for
    Josh

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    This might help. Not sure how much of the insulation system you have so this is a shot in the dark:

http://youtu.be/tvz6dwox0zA

Images
    I don't know about with the expedition. But with the double layer DJ there is something like a ring at about left shoulder and right knee level, and the bubble pad is meant to be tied to these if memory serves. Do the newer Expeditions have these rings?

So bubble pad on top of bumpy insul pad like the space blanket , below the hammock?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post
    So bubble pad on top of bumpy insul pad like the space blanket , below the hammock?
    Well that is debatable, I'm not sure anyone here has ever worked that out, but I think it ought to work pretty good especially if you don't see any O rings for attaching the bubble pad(BP) to, and especially if you don't have a double layer hammock. What you are saying will work, I'm just not certain it will be optimum.

By "bumpy insul pad like the space blanket" do you mean the HH open cell foam(OCF) pad? Because you have the HH Super Shelter as well as the bubble pad, right?

Well, as it seems you know, the OCF HH pad is meant to be used with one of those UL radiant blocker/vabor blocker(VB) space blankets(SB). I think these days he includes one with the HHSS. And you also seem to know that this is meant to go on top of the OCF pad, becoming the 1st layer under the hammock. Of course a bubble pad is also a radiant and vapor blocker, I'm pretty sure. Plus it has a little insulation of it's own.

Therefore, it seems it might be able to replace the space blanket, unless it is too stiff thus interfering with the curve around fit of the OCF pad/SB combo. That is in theory, but seems like I remember someone in the past experimenting replacing the SB with the BP and claiming it did not work as well as the original for some reason. So you may need to experiment. Let us know the results!

How are you doing setting up the HHSS? Don't get discouraged, some folks find it pretty confusing. It's actually dirt simple once you figure out what is going on, once that lightbulb goes on in your head. With the undercover( UC), just make sure the black center seam is on the inside, and that if it is a bottom entry then obviously the big opening goes at the foot. If you have those two things right, the hammock side pull out cords should be lined up with the HHSS UC's automatically. If not a bottom entry, still keep the black seam inside, then just make sure the pull out elastics line up with UC side openings. (You may want to double up on these cords to give more strength to handle the UC). If the holes don't line up, switch the haed end to the foot end.

As for the pad, simple: egg crate bumps up, plus wide part at the head. Done. It's pull out loops should also be lined up with the elastics once you put it into the UC. Then put the space blanket on top of the pad.

If you find it not quite warm enough for those extra cold nights, don't forget to place unworn clothing under pad inside the UC. This trick can boost warmth in a major way. Fleece works great, but most anything dry helps.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-10-2014 at 15:53.

HH SS & bubble pad set up?

That's good advice BB, Srmark, the HH vids don't include the bubble pad or the over cover install unfortunately and there's nothing on you tube,
    I have not yet installed the SS as I working on set up of the Australian Moto gp, I leave and get home in dark or sleep in my truck at track, I am so looking forward to tomorrow,Sunday too attach it all,sadly a warm day is predicted , I will be sleeping in it either way.
    It is a bottom entry, I am kicking myself for not getting zipper so I could lean out get snacks or hot drinks, much less have a cigarette

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Are you talking about the shiny pad that looks like a vehicle window shade?

I have one that I won with a HH. I could not get it to work, correctly in any of my HH. I believe it is designed for the Deep Jungle hammock.

I have the SS I was very pleased with it. Only thing I accidently learned, if the grey egg crate style pad gets wet it is a gigantic sponge, which makes total sense. However, the way the material holds the water was amazing to me. Mine became wet when someone broke a window in our car, looking for something to steal, that left my gear exposed to rain. Well, it was difficult to get that pad dry, way worse than a heavy wool sweater, so be aware not to get it wet, if it does get wet, be aware it holds a lot of H2O, really amazing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Are you talking about the shiny pad that looks like a vehicle window shade?

I have one that I won with a HH. I could not get it to work, correctly in any of my HH. I believe it is designed for the Deep Jungle hammock.

I have the SS I was very pleased with it. Only thing I accidently learned, if the grey egg crate style pad gets wet it is a gigantic sponge, which makes total sense. However, the way the material holds the water was amazing to me. Mine became wet when someone broke a window in our car, looking for something to steal, that left my gear exposed to rain. Well, it was difficult to get that pad dry, way worse than a heavy wool sweater, so be aware not to get it wet, if it does get wet, be aware it holds a lot of H2O, really amazing.
    I agree, it is a sponge. One time camping by the Hoh river in Olympic NP, I did not bother with the space blanket 1st night of the trip, high 40sF. I slept plenty warm, but when I got out the next morning I found the foot of my synthetic sleeping bag and the foot end of the HH pad were pretty soaked with condensation. I can't remember if I squeezed(gently with that pad!) then out 1st or just packed up wet, but when I set up that night all was dry and I stayed dry the rest of the trip.

Also, Josh, be careful with that pad! It is very easy to poke a hole in it! If you do, don't despair as it wont effect function much and is easily repaired with seam sealer and/or tape. I poked holes in my 1st one but still used it no problem for many years. I found it best to leave the entire HHSS on the hammock once I got it set up and just pack the entire thing into my pack or large dry sack. That way, I never handle the pad again until it is time to take it off for way hot weather. But just watch those fingers, they can poke right through that pad.

A few holes won't bother me, bit of gaffa tape, the BP comes in two sizes , HH rang me the morning after I ordered it as I automatically ordered larger, it was explained I needed small size for exped, the large was for deep jungle'r
    Gotta love a company that's prepared to undersize an order
    For customers satisfaction
    Not mention a call to Oz isn't easy to work out the time zone

I will get a zipper exped as much as I want a big hammock I don't want get another SS setup

[
    IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/11/49addccce9a843cdec1cbbd653dc84d7.jpg[/IMG]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast