SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Bulk Permethrin at better prices

Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    If I can find a cheap bulk supply of the stuff I'm gonna treat everything I own with it, except my underpants and cat! Does anyone know a place to get it in bulk for cheap? I treat just my outdoor clothes with it but, I'm going broke buying the sawyer stuff from REI. Group buy
    The Beast inspired me.
    I am not offering to do a group buy, but I am enabling us find a better price and enough for at least a season. I contacted Sawyers about discounts in bulk for the possibility of a group buy. A kind lady named "Donna" pointed me to this site. I prefer the military style soak treatment which I usually pay anywhere from $6 to $10 per box. If we assume the best price I've found ($6) then buying a six-pack for $21.56 saves me about $16. Minus the $5 shipping and I'm still saving $11. Not too shabby. 6 treatments should get me through a couple of tick seasons.

Enjoy!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    what do you guys think of using commercially available permethrin concentrate purchased from an exterminator/pesticide retailer? there's this:

"Permethrin Pro (a.i. Permethrin 36.8%): [Same a.i. as Dragnet] This odorless insecticide is a favorite with professionals and homeowners for general purpose pest control as well as termite control. When used as directed, Permethrin is a very safe product; labeled for use indoors on carpets, outdoors on turf and ornamentals; one of the best termiticides available. The high concentration means very little product is used per application. For fleas, roaches, ticks, ants and other indoor pests, only 1 to 1.6 ounces of Permethrin is needed per gallon. Do not treat animals with this product; if you wish to treat dogs, horses or other livestock with Permethrin, you must use Permethrin-10 concentrate. When treating outdoors for fleas, ticks, ants, molecrickets, chinch bugs and other insects, 1 ounce of Permethrin will cover 1000 square feet of lawn. Works great in combination with IGRs such as Flea Fix. Most homeowners need the quart size, unless they are treating their home for termites.
    A one quart container of Permethrin Pro is only $49.50 plus freight.
    Permethrin information
    "

seems reasonable, one quart of this Dragnet brand would last several years for your clothing. I wonder, what concentration is used by eXofficio's line that claims it will last 25 washings..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's pretty much what I used for my first treatment; all I could find in a small town. It worked, but it just made me nervous. I don't have any abnormal growths or anything (yet), so I assume it's OK.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's pretty much what I used for my first treatment; all I could find in a small town. It worked, but it just made me nervous. I don't have any abnormal growths or anything (yet), so I assume it's OK.
    Just dilute it to the proper (whatever that is) concentration. If you had need of a 2-gal sprayer for yard use, that would be the ideal vessel. Then, with gloved hands, fold your clothing article into a large ziploc bag, then pour in the permethrin solution and let it set for awhile. Hang dry outside, then wash before wearing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Just dilute it to the proper (whatever that is) concentration. If you had need of a 2-gal sprayer for yard use, that would be the ideal vessel. Then, with gloved hands, fold your clothing article into a large ziploc bag, then pour in the permethrin solution and let it set for awhile. Hang dry outside, then wash before wearing.
    Ha!
    I just bought a yard sprayer yesterday at the thrift store. Good timing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I'm still not sure I think this is a good idea, but for those considering it, the stuff is widely available at feed stores, Lowe's, Homey's, and, I would imagine, ChinaMart.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I would imagine a great way to apply this concentrate is to place a gallon of water inside a bucket, add the 1 ounce of Permethrin, and dip your clothing making sure it gets saturated. I assume that 1 gallon of water would treat 3-4 pair of long pants and maybe a couple of shirts too. Air dry. I dont know if Permethrin is safe to handle at concentrate so wear gloves!
    I did have a lengthy conversation with a doctor of chemistry on a long flight from Boston to Phoenix. We talked of permethrin in detail, and he mentioned that it probably "wouldnt be safe to handle until it dries". Also to note is apparently it is the only insecticide that will kill scorpions, outside of direct application.
    That is my only concern so far as bugs.. bark scorpions will enter my home, sometimes but rarely a black widow will be spotted outside, and ive never seen a brown spider around but they're here too. For camping, no deer ticks and very few mosquitoes (usually) with an occasional swarm of black flies, noseeums. The only true pest or nuisance around here are roof rats, believe it or not...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Tractor Supply has 16 gallons of treatement for 20 bucks.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I know that the Permethrin in products found at the farm supply store or other sources will be the same product except for what ever the inert ingredients are.
    I know from many years of doing pesticide certifaction training for private applicators (farmers) that you will find a statement on the label that will state it is violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistant with the label.
    That would mean that if clothing is not of the label it cannot be used for that site or application.
    Allways read and follow the label.

So it might be a Don't Ask Don't tell sort of thing.
    Will it work? Yes I think it should.

I would suggest getting a product or product label for products that are labeled for soaking the clothing. Look at the permethrin percentage on the label and the mixing directions and other safety precautions. Then if you use other products that will probably have different precentage of active ingredients you will need to calculate the correct concentration to duplicate the mix.

HF should NOT do a group buy for permethrin. It is against the law and EPA does bad things to people that get caught.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    HF should NOT do a group buy for permethrin. It is against the law and EPA does bad things to people that get caught.
    The group buy reference was for Sawyer (or similar) products that are marketed to be used on clothing. No way would I even consider attaching my name to an order for materials intended to be sold for lawn or home pesticides.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast