Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Possible to See Ancient Sites of Europe While Hammock Camping?

This is for the many hammockers following this forum in Europe.

Are there any routes that can be hammock hiked in Europe that allows you to see the ancient sites? I'm interested in the old stuff and these places are often off the beaten path. Ancient Greece? Walking the path of Hannibal? Scotland, Ireland? Camino del Santiago de Compostela? Turkey?

I guess it would be sometimes fine to sleep on the ground if necessary. Every few days, pop into civilization to stock up on stuff and clean up in a hotel? Take a train here and there, whatever.

I know Europe has a lot of restrictions on camping, but maybe there are a few places where there are opportunities.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I'm not sure of all the laws in different countries in Europe but in Scotland you can camp almost anywhere. Many parts of scotland, especially in the north you will not be able to hang a hammock. There aren't many trees. You can hammock the great glen way and the west highland way for sure but others I'm not sure of. There are small settlements all along both ways with hotels, campsites, shops, pubs etc.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I've been around Western Europe a fair bit and never had a problem with being allowed to hammock (or Bivi), although I know in Italy and Switzerland it's illegal but I have never had an issue there myself. The biggest problem is space as if there's loads of tourists there may not be any hanging sites in a suitable out of the way location. Things like hadrians wall is easy as you can sleep next to it but old cathedrals etc are the treasure and history of the nation so setting up under or near them will really upset people.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    What are your plans - did you want to do a "cultural" hike, or do a car trip with lots of sightseeing?

Either way, sleeping in the backcountry is not exactly legal in most of Europe. Especially so in areas with lots of culture, since they are usually heavily populated. Countries with lots of wilderness and few people often allow "wild camping" (as sleeping in places that are not dedicated for camping is called), like Scandinavia. Often, people do it anyway, but you could get fined if caught.

I have been doing some camping in public campgrounds in Germany, the UK and Ireland. I did the UK and Ireland before I got into hammocks, so I can't tell you how likely it would be that you can hang. I seem to remember, that most campsites were either subdivided for people with caravans and mobile homes, or had big lawns for people with tents. Often no trees. I did a 12 day bicycle trip in Germany this summer, and with the exception of 2 campsites, I was always able to hang. However, in about 50% of the time, I had the only trees available - and often the hanging distance was anything than ideal. You also have to beg a bit, though almost all campsite managers were very helpful.

Also, be aware that space in most of Europe is at a premium. Often times, campsites charge you for the number AND size of tents you are going to use, as well as number of people, your car/motorcycle/... and so on. I was blown away by the size of US campgrounds when I visited the East Coast last summer. Even campgrounds that Americans complained about to be "tiny" and "cramped" were A LOT bigger than 99% of European campgrounds I have seen.

If you want to hike, you could probably stealth camp, and - provided you can find trees - use your hammock. With a car, you'd probably want to stick to public campgrounds, and take a stand to be on the safe side.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You mostly can stealth camp anywhere in Europe, if there are trees you can use your hammock, but it is illegal almost in every country, especially in national parks, you can stealth camp but do not make camp fire it is highly forbidden...so you need primus or something to make yourself something warm to eat. If any1 see you camping mostly no1 will have a problem with it, just dont make camp fire

Images
    As others have said, most European countries don't allow camping except in specified campgrounds. However, my girlfriend and I have stealth camped in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, and Hungary, and we never had a problem. If you go on hiking trails in the Alps, it is very different than hiking in the US, because there are huts along the way that are the place you are expected to sleep. These huts sometimes even have a professional cook. General wilderness hiking is often not as prevalent in Europe, either, although there are some places. If you get down to Turkey, depending on where you go, you might have a tree problem more than a legal problem. In Greece, you will probably be fine, but if you want to see the sites around, say, Athens, then you won't be able to hang anywhere near the actual attractions that you are interested in. I have found that the cost of hotels is generally pretty high in Europe, so when my girlfriend and I travel, what we often do is rent a car, then spend most of our nights in the hammock, and as needed check in somewhere to get a shower and a night in a bed.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    from my experience in Europe:

-many times you can find a nice local who is willing to let you camp on their property
    -Hostels are a great way to take a break for a night and clean off the grime
    -stealth hanging/camping in Germany is easily accomplished, plenty of wonderfully maintained forests throughout, just walk off the path a few hundred meters
    - if caught, be polite, ask for forgiveness and don't be the stereotypical "American tourist"
    - beer does NOT equal hydration
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Dutch
    For Greece,i can say hammocking is pretty unusual,but you wont be disturbed.Perhaps you can argue it is not camping if someone asks anything(highly unlikely).Strict no fire policy,so care.Also you will have to camp far from the monuments if they are in city obviously.Outside in the more remote areas,you will be lonely and can hang anywhere if you want.Stay out of organised campsites.They suck most of the time.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Denmark
    As far as I know the rules are somewhat unclear and they don’t mention hammocks (hængekøje in Danish). However the government has opened up compared to a few years back. There are restrictions like no fires most places and in some places you are not ever allowed to use alcohol stove. If you light a fire (bål in Danish) in restricted areas you will get in trouble! There are primitive campsites with fireplaces. Some of them have shelters but some has to be booked in advance.
    Roomers say you can hang your hammock in most state forests but only for one day. There are some confusion when it comes to using a tarp. The definition is not clear because some compare it with tents with poles. Until this has been clarified don’t use any kind of poles for your tarp unless you’re on a camp site. If it’s only hung with strings you can always argue it is not a tent.
    Roles made by conservative and ignorant people if you ask me.
    We have many minor privately owned forests. You are not allowed to hang in these places unless you got permission from the owner or there is a sign telling otherwise. At the entrance to most state forests there are signs with rules but mostly in Danish I think. If you are not a Danish citizen you can always excuse yourself by saying the sign was not in English and be polite

http://eng.naturstyrelsen.dk/topics/...yside/camping/
    http://udinaturen.naturstyrelsen.dk/udinaturen/# This site is in Danish but has an interactive map with camp sites.

In Sweden they have a rule meaning for everybody and you can camp almost any ware as long as you are a given distance from houses. I think it is 200 meters but I am not sure.

I am not sure about Norway but I have gone stealth many times but with tent and car. In my old car I always had a big green tarp and some lines in case I needed to "hide" my car from plain view.

I had an easy time hammocking in France - there is a lot of country, and some lovely forests. But not at campsites. There are a lot of resort-like campsites with pools, entertainment, etc, where families stay for the whole summer. They are just cleared land, hammocks are not understood, and you will not have much luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast