Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Why can't I stay asleep in my hammock?

Well I did my research and with some much appreciated help from everyone here on HF I built the seemingly perfect hammock setup. I decided to invest a few bucks and ordered a dream hammock danderbird which i cannot say enough good things about. It really blows my mind that someone can build something to that level quality and attention to detail by hand. I paired it with an underground quilts bottom quilt which is also top quality and I am extremely happy with. When I first set this system up, I layed down and instantly wanted to fall asleep. It was so comfortable I had to pry myself out of it. Trouble is, I tried twice to spend a night in it and I'm finding for whatever reason, I cannot seem to get a good nights sleep. I'm wondering if it's the way I set it up or if the hammock system just isn't the best option for my physiology. I have only one theory.... I almost feel like the hammock is uncomfortable in the long term for the same reason i find it to be so comfortable in the short term: it conforms really well to your body. This relieves pressure points and hugs around more of your body than a mattress or pad. It almost seems to me that the down side of that for me personally, is that I usually need to toss and turn a bit until I get into a good position to sleep and probably am readjusting all night long without even realizing it. I think it's possible that the hammock is conforming too well and is not allowing me to move as freely as I need to, which leads to stiffness and discomfort after a couple hours of hanging. Or is this just a sign that maybe I'm not hanging it properly? One reason I am comsidering this is that my brother always sleeps great in a hammock and he knows less about proper setup than I do. He however is one who hits the pillow and doesn't as much as twitch for the next 8 hours. Also, the hammock is a left asym lay and I was using it as such, I felt like I achieved a pretty flat lay. Probably unnecessary but I even hung a line level on the ridgeline to make sure I was level! Haha idk, anyone have any ideas? A few more tries and I hate to say it but, I may be returning to the land of the ground dwellers....

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Practice. Practice. Practice. Just give it time. Since you are trying something knew, it may take a while for your body to adjust. This is something that is common to new hammockers. Don't give up. It will be worth it in the end.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I move around while I'm asleep in the hammock... and sometimes it's into an awkward position that causes enough discomfort to wake me up.

I just wiggle back into my sweet spot, and nod back off.

Have you found your sweet spot? It seems to be different in every hammock. I find it quicker in some than in others.

Sleeping in a hammock is definitely different than anywhere else. It does take some getting used to. Once you actually do get used to it though, it's the best sleep there is, IMHO.

It may not be for everyone though. Good luck in your quest, I hope you find rest!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Probably unnecessary but I even hung a line level on the ridgeline to make sure I was level!
    Lower the head end or raise the feet end. That's the way I like it.

It may take a few nights to get adjusted. Or you are just not tired enough

Hike 15 miles then setup hammock and see how fast you sleep.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    If somebody was going with me that hasn't slept in a hammock overnight, I'd tell them they may not sleep thru the night.
    For me, sleeping in a hammock at first was foreign, so when I moved around at night, I'd have to mentally process how I was shifting, or why was my back cold (UQ moved) or whatever.
    I found it took some time to get used to all-things-hammocky.

But on the flip side, even when I didn't sleep for 10 hours, I also felt rested even if I didn't sleep thru the night. I didn't have that frozen shoulder or stiff neck I was used to getting from sleeping on the ground.

So my advice is to give it awhile longer. Attend a group hang if you can - others can help assess if you are setting up your hammock the same way they would. And if it doesn't work out (which it doesn't for some), don't sweat it. Just keep getting outdoors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Lower the head end or raise the feet end. That's the way I like it.

It may take a few nights to get adjusted. Or you are just not tired enough

Hike 15 miles then setup hammock and see how fast you sleep.
    I can attest to this. Ended up hiking out 7.5 miles with way too much gear (too poor to be an ultralight guy and terrible at packing). That night was the first night I slept in my WB Ridgerunner It was heaven.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    couple suggestions: hang your feet just a little higher (like someone else said). Give it more than one night in a row (my first night after a layoff is not as good as the 2nd. Then the 3rd is even better, etc.). Go to a group hang, set up you system, and ask for suggestions (you will DEFINATELY find people to help).

There is a hang in NJ in 2 weeks that is a smaller group hang (20ish), but the people are super supportive and will do everything to help out.

Good luck,
    Pro V.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, GT SBP, DIY
    Tarp
    ENO and GT
    Insulation
    ENO Ember/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Atlas, Whoppie
    As per my sleeping in a hammock, I usually do it on a camping trip. I sleep better when in a hammock on a trip than on the ground. That is the main component. Nothing else. On the ground camping, waking and wondering if you will sleep, or in a hammock, waking, finding that ahhh spot again, and sleeping.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You've probably slept on the ground or in a bed for many years - it's probably unrealistic to think you can hop in a hammock and be used to it just like that. As others have said, practice in your backyard. I always spend a few nights in my hammock before I hit the trail. And when you do go out, follow NoDust's advice and hike as far as you can until you are dead tired - you could sleep in a pig pen if you're tired enough.

I personally think folks are better off starting with a simple, gathered-end hammock rather than a high-end hammock that forces you to sleep in a specific orientation. If you have never slept in a hammock, how would you know if you like head left/feet right or head right/feet left? In a simple gathered end hammock, you aren't forced to lay one way or the other - you can figure out what you like before you buy something more expensive.

My first hammock was an HH Expedition Asym Zip. I used it for a couple of years but never really slept all that well and constantly got calf cramps (the hammock was just too short for me). Next was a Byer Moskito; still too short but less calf cramp. Next I got a BIAS Weight Weenie Micro - plenty long at 11 ft. and I slept like a rock but I felt the fabric was a bit too stretchy. Next was a WWM Double Layer - much less stretch. Then I tried a tablecloth hammock - the polyester didn't stretch at all and I knew I was onto something. I've since bought a polyester BIAS Hiker Lite, and am about to pull the trigger on Dutch's PolyD 1.4 and Argon 1.6 hammocks ($32 for an 11 ft. hammock).

Does that sound like too much work? Tents are easier - buy tent; sleep on ground; you're guaranteed a consistently miserable sleep every time!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    What paul said, even a bad night sleeping in the hammock is better than the pain from ground sleeping. Take naps in it and when you go out for an afternoon hike take the hammock with you and practice hanging it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast