WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The only reason I comment on a for sale item is to give the post a bump if it looks like something good and in need of a bump. If the post gets deleted later I probably do not even notice. ;-)
    You may not notice it, but we do. Please leave the 'bumps' to the Seller.

They can take care of their own threads if they are interested in making a sale.

Thanks

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Although this sounds innocent enough when hundreds do it in a matter of a month or two it creates a ton of extra work for the mods.
    Very few posts get one button deleted into never never land. Odds are if you posted it it's still here even if you have lost access to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You may not notice it, but we do. Please leave the 'bumps' to the Seller.

They can take care of their own threads if they are interested in making a sale.

Thanks

And this is why I pity OUR red shirts (mods) more than the ones on Star Trek.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The future looks bleak....

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I guess I am guilty, I vouched for a very active member when he was selling gear, I felt with so many new members might not realize the "Seller" was a honorable person to deal with. I had purchased gear from the member and found the deals to go very smoothly. I have noticed others doing the same thing. I thought about it and read through the "Rules", decided I would be like a sheep and do what several other members had done. I think maybe I was wrong to post my positive experience with a "Seller". If it was negative, I would not have posted, I would have complained to a Moderator.

Personally, I think the Moderators do an excellent job, I am sure the "For Sale Forum" is a major project to manage.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Fan boy and Hater? You have a strange social media lexicon. Thanks for your input.

Edit: Your brash posting as if what you say is fact and all other points are fiction, with the emphasis of PERIOD, really makes me want to believe you as the supreme authority. But I won't.
    You seem to have taken my comments personally. However, I'm just presenting the opposing side of your argument: "I do not see how identifying a product as quality based on one's experience falls into the off-topic discussion so as to be deleted at moderator's discretion."

The opposite argument is "I do not see how identifying a product as crap based on one's experience falls into the off-topic discussion so as to be deleted at moderator's discretion." There was no ridicule of your position. Rather, I just looked at your argument that positive comments about the FS product should be allowed, and questioned why negative comments shouldn't be allowed.

It is abundantly clear that negative comments such as, "Don't buy what this guy is selling; it's a piece of crap," would be frowned upon by the seller of the gear - you're sabotaging somebody trying to sell gear. Price-policing falls into this category as well: "You can get this same piece of gear from Amazon for half the price," would not be kosher.

Positive comments, while not as nefarious, are still just as irrelevant to the topic at hand: "I have a piece of gear. Anyone want to buy it?" The FS forum provides HF members with the opportunity to buy/sell gear. It is not intended to be a place for people to personally endorse (or bash) certain products.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I did not take your comment personally, it is the internet, after all, a quite impersonal place with assumed names and all.
    The mods and membership get what they want. I agree to disagree. If someone posts a comment and the mods don't delete it, did they do any more work? When a community says that they want a sense of community, family friendly and then go vaporizing posts...well I don't think too highly of that practice.

I'll do my best to keep my hands off my keyboards in the delicate classifieds unless I'm selling something or posting the intent to purchase via the required "I'll Take It".
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    ...If someone posts a comment and the mods don't delete it, did they do any more work? ...
    Yes.

Every "that's a great hammock" type post means a mod will take the time to open and read the latest post in a For Sale thread whether it is removed or not.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I've had posts in the FS section get wiped where I was positively commenting on an item, and it confused me. You've got the choice to take it personally or not. You shouldn't take it personally because it isn't personal. It isn't a reflection on the community. It isn't a sign of a secret agenda. There are explicit rules for the sub forum, and there is considerable work involved in monitoring ongoing and closed sales. After rereading the rules and thinking about it for a while it makes a lot of sense to me that only highly relevant stuff be posted there such as offers from sellers, questions from prospective buyers, answers to those questions, and intentions to buy.

In my (our) case, I was answering a question nobody asked (confirming the quality of the product, or the good price of a FS offer) when the only unsolicited comments on the forum really should be sale listings.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Things are getting butthurt and off topic. Can we clean this up or close it?
    I see no reason to close this thread. It is a legit question and the two mods following this post are trying to answer his questions.
    I will clean the discussion up and remove all off topic posts for you.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 10-14-2014 at 15:17.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Support 100 Percent the "No Off Topic Rules" you are on the internet, research the product yourself on line. Do not insert a bunch of "Junk Mail" into the thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast