WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

SW Ohio>East Fork or Caesar Creek

Looking for a place close to home that I could do a quick overnighter with the dog. I live about 30 mi north of Cincinnati and it looks like East Fork and Caesar Creek are the closest options.

Any input on which might be a "better" choice to do an overnight hang? I realize better is subjective. But, looking for something that will feel secluded, pretty scenery, and ability to hang.

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    If you have a canoe or kayak, I can pm you the GPS coordinates for some pretty good stealth camping sites on Caesar Creek Lake. The rangers are more active there, though, than most places I've been. I probably won't go back just because there are better places for someone who prefers to avoid campgrounds.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    If you have a canoe or kayak, I can pm you the GPS coordinates for some pretty good stealth camping sites on Caesar Creek Lake. The rangers are more active there, though, than most places I've been. I probably won't go back just because there are better places for someone who prefers to avoid campgrounds.
    No canoe or kayak. I think I misunderstood that these 2 had backcountry camping.

I may need to look for other options.

Hammock
    DD Front Line, ENO double nest
    Deam Wilderness.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    No canoe or kayak. I think I misunderstood that these 2 had backcountry camping.

I may need to look for other options.
    Actually, I think there may be some camp sites along the hiking trails at the south end at Caesar Creek, but calling them "backcountry" may be a stretch.

Ceasar's Creek

+1 for Ceasar's Creek. There are two "backcountry" campsites along the 12-13m loop. I wouldn't recommend either of them. Stealth camping near the lake is your best bet. I woke up to hot air balloons drifting over the lake the last time I was there.

CeasarsCreek.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by cottontw View Post
    I woke up to hot air balloons drifting over the lake the last time I was there.

CeasarsCreek.jpg
    Wow! Either we were camped within 100s of feet of each other, or the hot air balloons were in the very same spot on a different weekend. I was lying in my hammock as they were filling with air, wondering what on earth that sound was. Because of all the noise coming from that direction the night before, I wasn't sure. When I finally got up, I saw the same thing as in your photo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Wow! Either we were camped within 100s of feet of each other, or the hot air balloons were in the very same spot on a different weekend. I was lying in my hammock as they were filling with air, wondering what on earth that sound was. Because of all the noise coming from that direction the night before, I wasn't sure. When I finally got up, I saw the same thing as in your photo.
    That is pretty funny. We were just south of the abandoned Clarksville Road on the east side of the lake Sept. 14-15. Same thing here. I couldn't figure out what the sound was until I finally pried myself out of the hammock. They were floating across the lake right toward me. It was a great way to wake up on a hammock trip.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Custom Nunatak dwn
    Suspension
    whoop-whoop
    I would suggest the Shawnee backpack trail if you don't mind driving a little further south. You can ditch cars near the access roads used to fill water caches and empty the thunder boxes. See very few people down there outside of open deer season.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images

SW Ohio>East Fork or Caesar Creek

The two backpackers sites are geared towards tenters. Last time I went to do an overnighter there I was told you have get a permit in advance. The first time I did the 14 mile loop you could just park at the visitors center and hit the trail. Have you checked out Germantown metro park? We have done hangs there several times. You can reserve a campsite and they even supply firewood. It's totally free.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast