WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps

Just hanging out

Hey whats up. New guy here with possibly a new question. So I am setting up my first hammock and I want to make the suspension and the ridge all one piece. I will put some loops in the line to hang the hammock from. Having said this I picked up 40 feet of O.D. tubing (which is nylon) Has anybody tried fishing 550 cord through the tubing to counteract the sag of the nylon.
    Thanks Greg.
    p.s There is a huge amount of info on this site, you guys have alot of good stuff to share.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Hey whats up. New guy here with possibly a new question. So I am setting up my first hammock and I want to make the suspension and the ridge all one piece. I will put some loops in the line to hang the hammock from. Having said this I picked up 40 feet of O.D. tubing (which is nylon) Has anybody tried fishing 550 cord through the tubing to counteract the sag of the nylon.
    Thanks Greg.
    p.s There is a huge amount of info on this site, you guys have alot of good stuff to share.
    Welcome aboard, tbone!

Re your question, 550 paracord is also nylon (i.e., stretchy) so I can't see it providing the help you're looking for. Also, as the tubing stretched out whatever non-stretchy cord you put through it would end up carrying a major part of the hanging load so you'll want to be sure it's rated strong enough to hold the full load... in which case, why bother with the tubing at all?

And you're so right -- there is a lot of good info here. Here's a thread started by headchange4u describing a single line suspension that might give you some food for thought.

Good luck with your efforts, and be sure to report back.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Rule of thumb around here is that nylon stretches way too much. I have experienced this stretch effect, requires alot of readjusting, not worth the hassle. Get yourself some braided polypropylene rope. Amsteel is very popular here. I've tried nylon tow straps that were rated at 4000 lbs. and they still stretch to much. If the nylon gets wet it stretches even more. I've tried nylon rope (5/8") also, same problem, too stretchy. The stretch effect never leaves the rope or straps, as each to you untension the nylon it shrinks back to its original size. Think rubberband.
    You can use nylon, it will work, but you will have lots of stretch.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Ya I know, but I so wanted to use the O.D tubing ( mainly because its O.D)
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ya I know, but I so wanted to use the O.D tubing ( mainly because its O.D)
    Thanks.
    So use it. Let us know how it works... No problem.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    So use it. Let us know how it works... No problem.
    Its tempting, but the guys I go in the woods with have no mercy, Waking up in the morning on the ground could earn me years of ribbings. Plus they consider hammocks to be big tacos for bears. So I need to have my act wired down tight.

Images
    Its tempting, but the guys I go in the woods with have no mercy, Waking up in the morning on the ground could earn me years of ribbings. Plus they consider hammocks to be big tacos for bears. So I need to have my act wired down tight.
    My ribbing and the snickering were unmerciful on my 1st trip. I deserved it for being such a clueless one. But 2 years later, 100% of the ones who had a good laugh at my learning curve expense gave it a go themselves. Because once I figured things out, they could not stand me being so comfortable and yet light and speedy in set up.

But I can understand your desire to avoid being the clown of your group, even though you will probably convince them in the end! So if you must use the nylon, I suggest you keep your trees as close together as possible and start your hang as high as possible. The shorter the amount of suspension between hammock and tree, the less likely to hit the ground. Also, if you are not using a structural ridge line(RL) and also pulling it real tight, you will get less sag. It seems to me if you start with more sag, you will get less additional sag once you are in. But all you need is 1" above the ground for superb comfort, or maybe a few inches more if you need room for an Under quilt to loft.

Or you could blow off the nylon and for 3-5 bucks( or less on sale) each, go to Harbor Freight and get a pair of ratchet straps with 1500 lb rated 15 foot long polyester straps with a loop sewn in one end. Then just hack saw the metal ratchet off and use the straps. No stretch with these, and endlessly durable. If you don't mind yellow.

OTOH, if you use the nylon, place a nice soft sit pad under where your butt will hit if you do end up touching the ground. Then what's the worse that could happen? You touch the ground and your buddies make fun of you. But then you can point out to them: So, where am I? Part of me is on the ground for part of the night. And just where were you, my ridiculing friends, for the entire night?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    I`ve already written off the tubing. It will be good material for other projects, so its not a big deal.

Images
    Is it possible to not wind up on the ground your first time out hanging? I thought that was a requirement...

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    or you could run the poly rope up thru the center of the tubular webbing, for concealment- yes heavier, but... still OD!
    PS I use climbers webbing also and did not end up on the ground- NB.-trees were quite close to the ends of the hammock. My problem was tarp too small- got dampish from the uncovered spots.
    HTHelps! KM

• + New Posts