Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images

ZPacks Cuben Standard Hammock Tarp

I am selling a ZPacks Cuben Tarp - Standard Hammock Tarp.

I obtained this tarp from another HF member in well used condition.
    This tarp is one of the original ZPacks tarps, made before they started doing taped seams and bonding the tie outs.

The tarp has a 130” ridgeline and is 97” wide. (10’10” x 8’1”).
    The bottom edge length (between the tie outs) is 106”.
    It has 3 tie-outs along the bottom edge and there are two pull-outs on each side.
    It does NOT have doors.
    The tarp weighs 7.42 oz.
    (new version info here)

I am selling the tarp alone—no rigging (tie-outs or ridge lines).

As I mentioned, the tarp was well used and was showing wear.
    The Cuben fiber material at the ridgeline tie-out panels was showing some stretching and pulling apart of the the Cuben fibers at the stitch holes.
    It had also developed several small pinhole leaks at the side tie-outs and along the ridgeline stitch line.

The tarp has been extensively rehabilitated. I emailed Joe (ZPacks) pictures of the ridgeline and tie outs and he felt that it would be easily repairable with his Cuben repair tape and that tape sealing the inner surface of the seams should stop any leaks. So after applying many yards of the ZPacks repair tape the tarp is back to functioning condition.

Ridgeline tie-outs: These were originally sewn without bonding or tape and the Cuben had begun to pull and separate at the stitch line in a few places.. The entire tie-out panel was heavily reinforced on both the outer and inner surface with Cuben repair tape at both ends of the tarp. The tarp ends are now very substantial feeling and show no signs of stretch or weakness when under load.

Ridgeline: The previous owner seam sealed the outer surface of the ridge line seam with a bit extra sealant. There are several small globs but no runs. As the ridge line was showing a few pinhole leaks, the entire ridgeline seam was taped with Cuben fiber tape along the inner surface. This not only prevents any leaks, but further strengthens the ridgeline. You could further clean up the outside seam by gently teasing off the remaining sealer with a fingernail. There is still a very small amount of give along the ridge line that disappears when the bottom middle pullouts are used.

Side pullouts: These were not showing any wear or stress, but they were leaking a bit, so the inner surface was taped over to strengthen and waterproof the area.

Corner tie-outs: These were not showing any wear or stress, but a piece of repair tape was added to each for reinforcement.

The tarp passed my sprinkler and hose spray test with no leaks or drips. I’ve had it out in moderate wind with no problems. The sides and the bottom middle tie-out really anchor this tarp down. It is plenty comfortable for my 11 foot hammocks.

Please take a look at the pictures and ask if you have questions. I have more pictures and can provide additional images or information as needed.

This is not a like-new/pristine tarp, it is in well used and repaired condition and the price reflects that.
    It is however, a very well functioning CUBEN tarp. It does not leak and with the reinforcements it should provide years of service.

I am asking $140 shipped CONUS, paypal per HF terms.

So while it may not be the prettiest, you are getting fully functioning 130” ridgeline CUBEN tarp that weighs 7.4 oz for $140. It is perfect if you have been on the fence about Cuben but haven’t wanted to commit the $$, or if you looking to pick up a back up tarp, especially for the 3 seasons.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Follow up thread to show the taped/repaired/strengthed areas. You can also see the excess sealer along the ridgeline and the pull-outs.
    Again, feel free to ask for additional images. I want you to be comfortable with what you are purchasing. I can even show it if you are in the MD area.
    Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

All I can say is wow, that is full disclosure! Great description!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Thanks Weylan. I think this is a great deal for a Cuben tarp that works just as well as a new one, just doesn't look as nice. I would not be selling it if it had doors - I'm a door kind of guy.

Does it mist at all in heavy rain?

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Kbkjr1,
    Sorry, but i'm not sure what that means. Do you mean condensation, because I always thought that was more a result of the weather and would happen regardless of the material. Could you elaborate and I'll try to answer.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I believe he's asking whether or not it behaves like silnyon can, under certain conditions, water can penetrate even the siliconized pores of silnylon, creating a misting effect. Cuben fiber is different, there are no pores for water to get through. And Kbkjr1, if you haven't had experience with CF in the past, let me assure you, you're going to love it, and $140 is an extremely cheap price for a cuben tarp. I would encourage you to jump on it, because I'm just waiting for my paycheck to hit my account and grab it. May the best hammocker win!
    Last edited by lilricky; 10-16-2014 at 06:40.

I am familiar with cuben. Cuben is spectra sandwiched between two pieces of Mylar. The thickness of the Mylar and the thread count results in the different weights (and strengths) of cuben. I believe the thickness of the Mylar used in .51 cuben is .08. Cuben is a nonwoven material, if the outer Mylar is abraded and worn (as seems to be the case here), there would possibly be small leakage resulting in a misting effect.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Got it, thanks for clarification.
    I haven't had this out in a storm. I had it under the full sprinkler for quite some time (>1hour) and also hit it with full hose pressure and didn't get any leaks or dampness/moisture on the inside surface. I realize that didn't simulate blowing rain, but it was a much larger volume of water than what normally falls from the sky - a pretty good test I think.
    The "worn" areas (RL tie-outs) are covered with Cuben fiber tape (inside and out) and did not show any leaking.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'll take it! PM incoming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast