ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    bedroom ceiling
    Insulation
    a couple blankets
    Suspension
    rope

?'s for those with a hammock in the bedroom

Just read 10 pages of the "What made you a hanger" thread and was surprised at the people who said they sleep in hammocks at home. I'm only 38, but it's been a rough 38 years. I walk bent over for the first 20 minutes after waking up, back hurts, knees hurt, shoulders hurt, neck and elbows hurt, just about everything but my pancreas hurts. Does a hammock really hep that much with back pain? I would be interested in putting one in the bedroom if it would even lessen the pain. How long would a full time hammock last? I spent $800 on a mattress a few years ago and it's already getting ruts in them, and neither my wife or I are very big, I'm 180 and 5'11". Also, judging from pictures it seems most the hammock stands take up quite a bit of real estate, our bedroom is only 13 1/2 feet long. Has anyone built a smaller frame? I work at a metal shop and will try designing something in AutoCAD, but if somebody has already built one it may save me some costly mistakes. How high is the risk of a Gilligan tumble out of the hammock during an ... uhm "intimate moment" in a double hammock? Could be a new experience, but would most likely ruin the moment. Those of you who have hammocks as a home bed, how did you convince your significant other? My main problem is I made our bed. It is a rustic bed and I used the waterjet at work and cut out a bear with the Rocky Mountains in the background out of metal for our headboard. It is really a beautiful bed, and I don't know how to convince her to trade it for a hammock?
    Anyway, sorry for the long post, thanks for any advice, and hope nobody shot milk out there nose laughing at the thought of getting tangled in the hammock during special time.
    Myke
    Last edited by Myke; 08-12-2009 at 23:49. Reason: grammatical error

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    bedroom ceiling
    Insulation
    a couple blankets
    Suspension
    rope
    forgot to subscribe, part of that old age thing

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My wife doesn't sleep in a hammock. I would not expect that will change anytime soon. But she is tolerant of my getting a better nights sleep than if I stayed in the bed. It also helps that our sleep style is significantly different. The stand size is a bit of a different issue. My stand is 13' or so support to support. It might be able to be shorter if I only ever wanted to use it on one hammock. But I'm not sure how much shorter it would be.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Double hammocks will hold two people, but most people find full time sleeping together in a double hammock is not very comfortable. There are exceptions and I am sure they will chime in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    For me, yes it really helps that much! I don't miss those first 20 minutes of the day, not even a little bit.

I've been sleeping in the same hammock at home for about a year now; it doesn't show any signs of wear yet. I think I paid $80 for it; lot better than a low end mattress, let alone a good one. I don't know what to tell you about the bed. I don't think I'd be able to easily part with something that cool that I made by hand. Nothing to stop you from making an ornate hammock stand. If I had the skills, I'd have done that long ago.

You should be able to fit a hammock in those dimensions, but here's another thought. You'll be happier in your own hammocks; of course that doesn't remove any 'visitation rights' , just gives each of you their own sleeping platform. You could have one post that both hammocks attach to, then posts in the opposite corners of the room that the foot ends of the hammocks attach to. Like a big "V". You can hang the hammocks on one post when they aren't in use and have a big open room. I'm in the process of doing something similar for our new bedroom.

Luckily, there have been no milk instances. Not for lack of visual imaging, I just don't like milk.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I too would wake up each morning with an achy back and neck. I tossed and turned all night and finally would get out of bed ... because I knew the aches would go away, not because I was completely rested. I've been sleeping in a hammock for over a month now and actually sleep through the night. I may even need to start using an alarm clock, because I don't have the climaxing back ache to wake me up.

A few nights ago, I tried the bed again ... just to see if my experience was psychological, maybe I just wanted the hammock to be more comfortable! Nope, it's real. The aches came back and I'm back in the hammock.

My wife has been very understanding of the 14' metal structure in the master bedroom.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We sound the same bad back, sore this and that...I can't speak highly enough on the benefits of hammock sleep, for me at least.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=gargoylebird
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    BWDD
    Insulation
    UGQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ET
    Myke, I totally feel you on back pain. I had a disc removed 18 months ago and have to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs at home on my bed. My first time in a hammock a few months ago, I went to bed and got woken up by a bullfrog jumping in the lake, but after that I slept for 6 hours straight. This is the most I normally sleep at home, and to do that pain free and sit up without a single ache was a miracle. I was able to sit straight up and walk around camp pain free. The hammock in the bedroom is not an option with my wife, but I do set it up at work during lunch now. Good luck with this.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    would something like this work???..... keep the bed for the wife but have supports with hooks put into the wall next to your side of the bed. Put a hook w/support into the wall on the opp. side too. Then hang the hammock at night right next to the bed. This way you're close enough to roll out of your hammock into the bed "if you need to". And the wife still has you close enough to her while she's sleeping. I wouldn't make a "stand" to go in the room, not with your dimentions of the room being less than 14'. You just gotta make sure of how you secure those hooks into the wall.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Myke,
    Welcome to the forum!
    My two cents is that something along the lines of TinaLouise's idea would work well. Put the hammock where it is best based on not blocking doors (the wife wouldn't want to climb around your hammock on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night...) and such. Since you have access to a metal shop, you might think of fabricating a large L bracket for each end. Attach the L brackets to the wall (against the wall and the floor) and the hammock to the L bracket. Let the L transfer as much of the inward and downward force of the hammock as possible to the floor so the walls don't have to handle it. Just don't stub a toe on the bottom of the bracket (or smooth the edges of the bottom). You might even decorate them to match the bed with mountains and bears.

As others have said, unhook one end of the hammock during the day if desired and hang it at the other end. Say, you're not just trying to find an easier way to make the bed each day, are you?
    Last edited by JayS; 08-13-2009 at 09:45.

Hammock
    Haven Tent
    Tarp
    Walmart blue tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DIY straps.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Myke,
    Welcome to the forum!
    My two cents is that something along the lines of TinaLouise's idea would work well.
    I tried exactly this approach, but it did not work. I thought it was entirely reasonable to lie in the hammock a few inches above the bed and right next to my wife, able to roll out onto the bed at the slightest whim, but she thought it was weird and a wedge driven between our marital union. She's not especially rigid generally, but this hammock fetish I developed has kind of befuddled her. So now I'm relegated to hanging in the basement during summer weekdays when she and the kids are away at the cottage and I'm stuck in town working. Summer hammock bachelor! More exciting than it sounds in some ways, less exciting in others.

If you try hammock sleeping, and it truly helps your pain, I would approach it from this angle, explaining how much happier you'll be. Remember to give it a chance for more than a night or two--it takes some adjustment for your body to get used to, and you can still have a poor sleep regardless of what you're sleeping on, if your head isn't in the right place that night. Ask more questions here about sleeping comfortably in a hammock if you need to.

My back pain was mostly remedied by the expensive bed we ended up buying after my unsuccessful attempt to introduce the hammock, but I still love the idea of a sub-$100 hammock solution, rather than a multi-thousand dollar solution in a new bed.

Good luck!

Nat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast