Hello from Mexico :)

Hello everyone, I have been stalking this forum for some months now, but yeah first time posting.

My name is Daniel. I'm from San Francisco CA but I currently live in the west coast of Mexico, so there is a variety of climates around here, from cold pine forests (not as cold as up there), to humid and dry tropical jungles. Hammocks have always been somewhat around me, but I've camped using old style mayan hammocks on the beach (DONT even ask about the mosquitoes).

But it never ocurred to me that there could be ways to actually make them viable for camping. I was on a trip to New York when I saw some ENO hammocks, and i wondered if hammocks were actually considered by some as actual viable shelters.

I did some research for several days, and I really liked the Hennessy Hammocks, cause have the integrated bug net, and if I'm sleeping in the tropics, the more bug protection you have, the happier you are,you dont ever have enough tho sometimes they decide that they want to sleep right under your tarp, so when you wake up and go out of your whatever shelter, you have to deal with them or be discrete enough not to bother them. Sometimes there are wasps, sometimes hundreds of mosquitoes.

The HH seemed more popular than other hammocks with integrated bugnets, and it also came with a tarp (a very doubtful tarp).

I really wanted to get the most lightweight of them, but decided for the Explorer instead because it seemed tougher I wasn't sure about everything, and most of the time you want your backpack, footwear and everything else inside your shelter (cause of the bugs).

I'm a Biologist, and do a lot of field research, some times its a lot like car camping, but most of the times you have to walk at least 1 hour back to the car after working, and its preferable to just find a camping spot and lay there.
    Hammocks in general make that very easy cause they can be set up almost anywhere, and they are super lightweight "bugproof" shelters.

Since I work in the field, I need to keep my backpack as light as possible, sometimes I have to sprint or jump deftly to the ground to catch something. So again, Hammocks are super light (not as light as just a tarp, but using just a tarp is out of the question unless you want to get wet (and scorpions, snakes, spiders, dogs even cows and all other kinds of animals around you sniffing your...)

Anyways thats my not-so-short story.

This forum has been very helpful in a lot of ways and Im thankful to everyone that posts here and helps with advice.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Georgia. Sounds like you're on your way to many a comfy, bug free night.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

And welcome from another Georgian as well. I've got a Hennessey, the Expedition with the bottom entry, and like it a lot. The standard tarp for it is small, but it'll cover the hammock even in a downpour. I will admit it is not forgiving of too much error in the sense that if you don't have it centered and down tight in a thunderstorm, you could get wet. I've ridden out one good thunderstorm and one light rain shower so far in mine and was lucky (in retrospect) that the t-storm blew in from the side perpendicular to the hammock. Had it been blowing down the direction of the lay, it might have blown under the tarp. I'm thinking Hennessey's larger hex tarp is going to be a not too distant future purchase.

Cheers!
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts