DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD 3 X 3 4 X 4
    Insulation
    58 pattern army
    Suspension
    whoppee slings
    Quote Originally Posted by silent chad View Post
    I tried this this weekend with a couple of heavy duty caribiners, it worked fine ( used a MSH ), but I couldn't find any advantage, for me, over aluminum toggles, or sticks.... other than maybe less friction and wear on the whoopie sling. What am I missing?
    Hi Chad
    +1 I too am thinking the same as you, in flack by doing it this way for me it would be adding weight as a binner is heavier than my toggle, maybe something can be attached to a binner
    Thanks
    Bill
    Share your knowledge, it is a way to achieve immortality.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0°/30° TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by billrobo View Post
    Hi Chad
    +1 I too am thinking the same as you, in flack by doing it this way for me it would be adding weight as a binner is heavier than my toggle, maybe something can be attached to a binner
    Thanks
    Bill
    Well, for me, it is piece of mind that I don't need to worry about the whoopie popping off the sweet spot on the knot behind the toggle, or slipping down if I get in and out of my hammock. Depending on the toggle type, that could be a bad thing. I know that doesn't necessarily happen that often, but still it can obviously happen.

Also, two Dutch Biners weigh something like 20g, so the weight there is pretty tiny compared to many toggles, I'd imagine. If you're using 2oz. biners then that'd be more of a knock for the weight-conscious.

I like this system, but it's just one of many.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Exactly. Have that sling come up over the knot once when you're not expecting it...you'll quickly find the advantage to this particular method, which is why I've used it for years. I'm most certainly NOT a gram counter...so the weight difference versus the safety improvement is a no-brainer for me.

The advantage is that it reduces your chances of an unhappy meeting with the ground when you don't want to have one, for a relatively paltry gain in weight. You can also, if you choose, clip your empty backpack onto one of the 'biners as well, if you prefer not to leave it on the ground for the mice. Your jacket can hang in a similar fashion as well. And since they're attached, it reduces your chance of dropping your "toggle" and loosing it in the leaf litter.

Not saying everyone has to or even should do it this way...HYOH is the motto around here. But there are indeed some benefits to the system I've opted for. It's why I use it.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Technically, a "hard" toggle or biner isn't even necessary. You can just roll the excess webbing below the hitch, and put that through the loop of the hitch as a "toggle".

Like ^he said though.... HYOH.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Exactly. Have that sling come up over the knot once when you're not expecting it...you'll quickly find the advantage to this particular method, which is why I've used it for years. I'm most certainly NOT a gram counter...so the weight difference versus the safety improvement is a no-brainer for me.

The advantage is that it reduces your chances of an unhappy meeting with the ground when you don't want to have one, for a relatively paltry gain in weight. You can also, if you choose, clip your empty backpack onto one of the 'biners as well, if you prefer not to leave it on the ground for the mice. Your jacket can hang in a similar fashion as well. And since they're attached, it reduces your chance of dropping your "toggle" and loosing it in the leaf litter.

Not saying everyone has to or even should do it this way...HYOH is the motto around here. But there are indeed some benefits to the system I've opted for. It's why I use it.
    That makes sense to me. I'll probably rig up my kids hammocks with the biners from now on. They put a little more than the 'normal load' on a hammock from time to time ( they're between 9 and 14 and tend to make diving leaps at their hammocks ). I usually just use hardwood pegs made on the spot, but I don't weigh much over a buck and a quarter soakin' wet....that and i like whittlin'.
    I'm not a climber either, 'bout how much should I expect to pay for lightweight climbing caribiners, I think a few for the kids rigs might make me a little less nervous when their hammock acrobatics get going.

and Goat Hanger, how well does that work, using the excess webbing as a toggle? I haven't tried that yet.
    But I dig simplicity.

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD 3 X 3 4 X 4
    Insulation
    58 pattern army
    Suspension
    whoppee slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    Technically, a "hard" toggle or biner isn't even necessary. You can just roll the excess webbing below the hitch, and put that through the loop of the hitch as a "toggle".

Like ^he said though.... HYOH.
    Like it, like it!!
    btw what does HYOH mean please

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by billrobo View Post
    Like it, like it!!
    btw what does HYOH mean please
    It means "hang your own hang".

There are so many ways to do things, and preferences differ greatly from one person to another. So, each person can choose to do their hammocking however they please.

Most importantly... have fun!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD 3 X 3 4 X 4
    Insulation
    58 pattern army
    Suspension
    whoppee slings
    Absolutely nail on the head, couldn't put it any better
    Thank you

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Thanks for the info on this thread. I find that though biners may weigh more than a toggle they can also serve more useful in other applications on the trail than a simple toggle can. So worth the extra weight in my mind.

This youtube clip seems to show how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczGvhmwDGI

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123