DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Angry DIY Gone Wrong - Holes in my Hammock

I mentioned in another post that I was considering building a hammock stand in the backyard to supplement my lack of trees. Long story short, I had the hammock connected to the stand while I was test fitting a few things, I walked off for less than 10 seconds, the stand blew over and, the 1/4" bolt sticking out of one of the legs, put (what appeared to be) one hole straight through my hammock. As I inspected further, I found that one hole on a hammock equals about 6 holes. 2 through my bug net and 4 in the hammock itself.

Any suggestions? Thread inject the holes in the hammock and glue/tape the bug net?

Not very happy. Capped off a perfect week...

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Duct Tape fixes everything.

Sorry about your mishap. Had a few myself. Know how it feels to see alot of hard work get ruined. As far as the hammock body, once its compromised, I wouldnt trust it. Bugnet is one thing but hammock body is another.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As hard as it is, I would also advise to ditch the hammock. Unless the holes were in an area not bearing any weight. Use the hammock fabric for DIY projects. Stuff sacks?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    UGH!!!!! I feel your pain... Personally one hole OK, two holes has me worried, and more than three... well I'd retire the hammock as the holes are a spot of weakness and the stress of the load may cause them to open up additional without notice. YMMV, proceed at your own risk
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    What kind of stand did you build?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Hard to tell without seeing the holes and knowing what fabric you used. I might try fixing the hammock holes with tenacious tape on each side, and then testing carefully. Even if it holds at first, you'll need to keep an eye on it and decide whether you feel safe. If you decide to keep using it, sew a patch on the bugnet. It will have character.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Is this your Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter that was damaged, or a DIY hammock you built? I'm not 100% clear. If it's your SBP, I would really think twice about using it again. They're made out of a crinkle-taffeta material that does not have a ripstop grid. Even a DIY hammock with ripstop nylon or polyester would be suspicious with holes. I'm sorry to say, as many others have already echoed, your hammock is probably compromised...
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Tenacious tape as mentioned by "WV", however I would not trust the integrity of the fabric, but then again, I can not afford to take another fall.

I had a brand new hammock, I left it outside unattended for a couple of minutes, my cat attacked the bottom, just kitty toenail holes, however, I am sure they would have ripped when least expected. I had to repurpose the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I was trying to build a half-Turtledog stand. It was basically going to be a tripod staked down. I was building this as a car-camping option and to hang in the backyard from my lone tree. I have since ditched the idea in favor of something a lot more simple; the single post staked down in several spots cuts the weight and might end up taking less time to set up. I was playing with ideas more than anything but... yeah.

Yes, it was my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro. Makes me a little sick but, fortunately, I have two. I bought one for my wife, in the hope of getting her interested in camping/hiking/hanging but, it's not going so well. So, I will probably use hers until I can replace the other one. I may DIY my next one but I really like the SB-Pro because it already has a built-in bug net. I don't know. I just got my thread injector yesterday so... we'll see how that goes. Thanks for the advice. I will probably give it a try but it's more than likely done.

I will post pictures in a bit. Need my coffee first... not functional without.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

CSI: San Diego

So I got a little CSI on these pictures but only so everyone sees what I'm dealing with here. Like I said, I am probably going to take it with me next time I go out for a hang and just see what happens. I guess if I have to ditch it, I could turn it into a gear loft. Just cut the size down and get rid of the bug net (save the zippers for some other awesome DIY project I'm sure to come up with).

20141018_091632.jpg

This is one of the holes in the bug net. There's another one about 5 inches to the right of this one.

20141018_091921.jpg

These are the holes in the main body. This would be the foot end for me. My feet go the other way so this would probably make the side these are on the load bearing portion of the foot end.

20141018_092407.jpg

20141018_092428.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast