Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comfort: Darien vs. Blackbird

I'm in the market to lighten my load a bit and have narrowed my hammock options to the Darien and the Blackbird. Anybody have experience to share on their relative comfort? The Darien can be made a bit lighter, but the footbox concept that the Blackbird touts has me wondering if it might be a little more comfortable, and worth a few extra ounces. I'd like to hear what everyone has to say before I take the plunge.

Charlie

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have both. Darien in 11' though. Rather the Darien.

Both are great but I don't like having to tie out the WBBB. The shelf is really nice to have.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Have never used Darien. Use WBBB. When I contemplate other hammocks, I always wonder "where will I put all this cr*p that I put on the shelf?" Not sure about the footbox. Seems handy. When i try out 11" hammocks without one, seems ok n ot to have one, but I haven't slept in one either. YMMV.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I have both. Darien in 11' though. Rather the Darien.
    Nodust- Can you tell me why you find the Darien preferable, or is it purely a size issue? I'm tall enough that I'll be getting the 11' model of whichever brand I go with.

Charlie

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The WBBB doesn't feel as tall from hammock to netting. Feels like the net is real close to my face compared to the Darien. Comfort wise they are both great. The Darien just gives me a little more room. But the shelf is really nice to have on the WBBB.

But I hate having to use the tie outs on the WBBB. Just one more thing to trip over at night. Not using them the net just fell down on my face.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use the BB and rarely use the tie outs and the netting is not that close to my face. I am 6ft2
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I use the BB and rarely use the tie outs and the netting is not that close to my face. I am 6ft2
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong then.

Did you remove the string or just left it there.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If I get you right, you are comparing the BB XLC with the Darien, since the BB (no XLC) is a 10' hammock.

I neither have the XLC nor the Darien, but I do have the 10' Blackbird and an 11' RoamingGnome (which should be the same hammock comfortwise, only with more zipper). Both are great hammocks; quality-wise probably in the top 5 (or top 2?) of the market, from what I have seen. Of the two, DH makes the better quality, meaning, you will have a hard time to find a wrong stitch. Which is not really surprising, because each hammock is custom-made. WB is more of a "mass" producer (only compared to DH).

However, there's something in the construction of the hammock, that prevents me from getting a full night's sleep in the DH RG. This is a personal matter - other people report finding DH hammocks more comfortable than WB. For me, it's the other way round. My BB gives me the best sleep posture.

If you can, try both hammocks for a night before ordering. If that's not possible, toss a coin - or pick the hammock that has more of the features you think are important to you.

Hutzelbein - You are correct. I'm considering the BB XLC and the Dream Darien 11'. Since I don't know of any way to audition either one in my area, all of my research is carried out on the internet. Thanks for your help.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
    Hutzelbein - You are correct. I'm considering the BB XLC and the Dream Darien 11'. Since I don't know of any way to audition either one in my area, all of my research is carried out on the internet. Thanks for your help.
    They resell really easy and you will get 90% of your money back if you want to buy and try both.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast