WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK, I don't know how much experience you have with hammocks. But if you only ever had one other hammock - possibly something mass-produced like ENO -, I would probably recommend going with Warbonnet. There is no question that Dream Hammock is a premium brand - but it's a custom hammock, offering you almost everything you could wish for. I think it's not a beginner hammock, unless you were to start out with a FreeBird. As a beginner, you usually have no idea of what you like or don't like, and what is important to you in a hammock. It's a bit like casting pearls before swine - sorry, I don't mean to offend. But to get the most out of a Dream Hammock, you need to have some experience - or be lucky. There's quite a waiting list, too, and it's one of the most expensive hammocks out there (absolutely justified - you get what you pay for...). With a Warbonnet XLC you don't have to decide what fabric, what width, which add-ons - it's a hammock that was designed by somebody who really knows their stuff, and has made all the difficult decisions for you. Perfect for somebody with little experience. (Not saying that WB is only for beginners!)

If you stick with hammocks, you'll buy more. Ask any long-time forum member. Take the XLC and gather more experience. Then come back in a year and order a Dream Hammock. You should know a lot more of what you like and don't like, and what your needs are. You'll get much more from Dream Hammock then, then you would now.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I have a Blackbird XLC having ordered it as my first hammock largely by comments in this forum. I don't regret that decision having used it in cool dry weather, cold rainy, cold and windy. I have much more to try out to understand hammocks, but I am finding the shelf a real value add feature. Initially I thought it sort of in the way, but having groped in the dark for stuff and finding it easily in the shelf I see why it is there. Last night I wasn't sure what to wear. It was in the low 50's but very breezy and I didn't hang my tarp. So placed some extras in the shelf area and during the night put them on as I needed them. Didn't have to poke around, leave the hammock, etc. You could probably hang some clothes from the hammock ridge line but I'm finding the shelf a good place. Eye glasses, flash light, extra socks, stocking hat, another shirt....

There are probably ways of securing a pillow to the gathered end that are simple but I just toss my pillow in the shelf when I need to get up during the night to step outside. Before relying on the shelf I'd lose the pillow in the quilts and have to get out of the hammock to easily find the pillow. Don't now using the shelf.

I've attempted to overcome the tie outs by placing the one on the zipper side a relatively long way away from hammock so it isn't angled down close to the hammock. I wear bifocals so close vision at night can be problem sometimes particularly if I step out with my glasses. Stretching it out this way is a help for me.

I've found the foot box offers me some relief behind my legs. I can toss around a bit and waken with stiffness but simply shifting back to using the foot box offers quick relief. This is my preference I suppose, but it is a design feature I wasn't sure about prior to using a BB but I'm finding it helpful for the way I sleep.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I am 6'2" and robust (260#). I have a warbonnet traveler and love it. Looking forward to getting the XLC. Though honestly I'm really intrigued with the idea of going with a 12' hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12