Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles

Best hammock for me? HELP!

I am thinking of getting a new hammock next year. I know very little of fabrics or what I should look for in buying from a vendor. A little about me I am 6 feet 2 inches tall, wide shoulders, around 260 pounds. Any information on fabrics, dimensions, hammock construction such as double or single layer. Also I will be using this for 4 season camping/backpacking.

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Or Warbonnet. Those two vendors seem to be near the top of everyone's short list.

You didn't mention budget, priorities, or why you're moving from the ENO DN listed in your profile.

Read up on gathered end versus bridge style hammocks to get a sense of which might be a closer match to your priorities.

Sounds like you could use a clinic at a group hang to get exposed to lots of the options out there.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The best hammock for me has been my DIY 10' gathered end. Cost was $1.50/yrd. I used braided mason's line for the whipping and I sewed it myself. Then I made a Fronkey Style bugnet. My suspension is DIY treestraps/toggles and whoopies.

4 yrds for hammock body and stuff sacks - $6
    Braided mason's line - free (already have)
    Thread - free (already have)
    2 panels curtain sheers - $10 (scraps used for tarp skins)
    Shockcord - $5 (a lot left for other projects)
    Cargo straps 2@12' - $5 (enough for 4 straps@6')
    Toggles - free (minature windchime)
    Whoopies/SRL - $5 (raffle ticket at Annual Florida Hang)

Assorted hardware $1-2.

That makes the DIY hammock the best hammock for me for over 4 years at ~$43. The $43 also includes enough material/hardware for other gear as well.

Your "best for me hammock" may or maynot be a DIY or "shelf bought" or vendor custom handmade hammock. It's the fun and sometimes arduous journey you'll make to figure that one out.

Good luck and happy hanging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like 60 inch wide, 11 ft. long, netless hammocks similar to floridahanger's setup using at least 1.6 oz/square yard material. I prefer polyester because it's low stretch. A double layer at your weight might be advisable, but that's a personal choice.

The vast majority of people like integrated bugnets, so that's another choice you'll have to make.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Your absolute best chance to get an answer is to drive north next weekend and make the Hoosier Halloween Hang.

Camp all weekend (tents are OK) or just visit Saturday afternoon and you'll get to see and usually hang in a wide variety of hammocks. One hint about hammock etiquette, empty your pockets and take your shoes off before you try out a hammock.

Hangers love to show off their setups and talk about them.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrosiveCookie View Post
    I am thinking of getting a new hammock next year. I know very little of fabrics or what I should look for in buying from a vendor. A little about me I am 6 feet 2 inches tall, wide shoulders, around 260 pounds. Any information on fabrics, dimensions, hammock construction such as double or single layer. Also I will be using this for 4 season camping/backpacking.
    This is another "which oil is best for my car" kind of question. Each of us are different so the potential is endless as to what is best. We all have our favorite vendors and fabrics which adds yet more correct answers.

As gmcttr said, the best place for you to get answers as is to attend a group hang. You don't need to spend the night but tent campers are always welcome or you can just visit for the day and check out gear. Most folks will be happy to show you their set up and let you lay down in it. That way you can feel the fabric, width, length, how it is gathered (or not), for yourself and pick out what suits you best.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Your absolute best chance to get an answer is to drive north next weekend and make the Hoosier Halloween Hang.

Camp all weekend (tents are OK) or just visit Saturday afternoon and you'll get to see and usually hang in a wide variety of hammocks. One hint about hammock etiquette, empty your pockets and take your shoes off before you try out a hammock.

Hangers love to show off their setups and talk about them.
    Best advice ever.
    If you cannot make this event then go to the next one.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    being a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier I find the blackbird to be just a little "restrictive" in terms of width.

..handing that down to my wife and waiting on a dream hammock to arrive..
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Order as many hammocks as you can - try them all - keep the one that suits you best and sell the others Or keep them all, just for fun...

Hammock comfort is highly personal. You won't find YOUR best hammock by asking others what THEIR best hammock is. You'll only find out how many hammock brands are out there (plus all the DIY)...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast