WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    Do I REALLY have to invest in a quilt or some other insulation other than a 1/2 CCF, a 0* bag and depending on the weather, underarmor or some other brand of layered underwear? I also have a lightweight fleece sleepign bag to add to the layer..
    I answer your question with "In my experience, NO."

I've been able to sleep down to 34* with a 1/2" CCF, 40* synthetic bag, and a lightweight fleece sleeping bag as additional liner. Those were all items I used ground-camping, I just elevated them in my DIY hammock for increased comfort!

I'm experimenting with under-insulation outside the hammock now only because I find carrying ccf & thermarest pads inconvenient- but for comfort, I truly don't need to go there. (Okay, wait- I'm a gear junkie too....)

ENJOY YOUR HAMMOCK without worrying that you HAVE to get other gear!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Despite having a SuperShelter I decided to try using a blue ccf pad last night (60-65deg). IMHO it seriously decreases the comfort of a hammock. Too narrow and hard to keep in position. I can see how various pad systems would work, but in the end they're going to be bulky and less comfortable.

Now I understand why most of the people at a group hang have UQs. Quilts (or SS) aren't needed but they sure are nice.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Despite having a SuperShelter I decided to try using a blue ccf pad last night (60-65deg). IMHO it seriously decreases the comfort of a hammock. Too narrow and hard to keep in position. I can see how various pad systems would work, but in the end they're going to be bulky and less comfortable.

Now I understand why most of the people at a group hang have UQs. Quilts (or SS) aren't needed but they sure are nice.
    That has been my experience. With pads I have been warm enough but uncomfortable. With the Super Shelter I am both warm and comfortable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pads are fine and I used them a long time. Experiment to find one that suits you.
    No problem man .... keep it light and easy.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Much below 70°, I (and most others) need some kind of underinsulation. It's generally accepted that a sleeping bag will compress to the point where it will not provide sufficient underinsulation but I suppose one could find a really honkin' big bag that would do the trick...

Individuals and sleep systems are different. I always suggest starting off simple and low cost, find what works and what doesn't, and build from there. Backyard experiments are paramount.

I started with a ¼" pad and have never changed. In conjunction with the rest of my sleep system I don't feel any cold from underneath until temps drop below 25°. The pad's 40" width cups around my shoulders and trunk providing insulation and wind block there. All this for 7oz and ~$25 (from Oware, their pads are now 3/16" and 6oz). I''m sure a strategically-placed blue foam sit pad would extend the range another 10° or more for no added weight ('cause I already carry one).

I always stress how individual sleeps systems are...not to mention weather conditions and area climates. What works for others will not work for you...or maybe it will. Read a lot, collect everyone's ideas and start experimenting...

FB

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    I always stress how individual sleeps systems are...not to mention weather conditions and area climates. What works for others will not work for you...or maybe it will. Read a lot, collect everyone's ideas and start experimenting...

FB
    That last bit can get expensive for experimentation sake. That is one of the benefits of both the forums and more importantly the group hangs that occur. If you can get to one or two or many... you will be able to see for yourself what other people use and how they make it work.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have:
    blue ccf (eggcrate) from walmart: $15
    41" evazote from gossamer gear, 1/4" thick: $15
    NeoAir medium (would not want a longer one, but wish it was a little wider): 130 or so
    JRB underquilt (3 season): 250

I think I can combine these to get to any temp range in the book. The blue ccf alone gives me cold butt syndrome at around 32-33F. My foamies are trimmed somewhat, I'm not 7 feet tall.The underquilt isn't technically necessary, but far more comfortable than the pads, and breathes better. The first condensation I experienced in the hammock was using the wide evazote with the NeoAir on top on a somewhat overcast night in the mid-30s - the underside of the tarp was wet, the bugnet was wet, and the top of my beanie hat was soaked from butting against the netting. I had the tarp pitched rather low for warmth.

The other thing you can do is have an overcover - there are degrees of expense here, a DriDucks poncho draped over the netting on a still night worked for me once, with some drawcords or binder clips it would probably get me by on a breezy night as well. I'm hoping for a silnylon overcover soon tho, that will fit the shape of the netting better. I know HH have an overcover available directly from the Mfr.

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I just did a 4 day trip to the Apostle Islands kayaking. It was mid 40's every night. I was just fine in my Hennessy Exped Asym using an old (20 years old) Therm-A-Rest full length pad and a Slumberjack 40 degree synthetic bag. I also had along a poncho-liner I had lying around from my days in the marines.

I wore polypro long underwear in the bag with smart wool socks.

YMMV.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Do most of you find that you just need one UQ through most temp ranges? Are you using the same UQ in 25 degrees and 55 degrees? I'm assuming that, since heat rises, you won't get too warm with a think UQ during mild nights. What are your experiences with that?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    All you folks who only have one quilt... raise your hand. I figure you should be able to count the hands that are up just by looking at your monitor.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast