DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's all about the TOS, or the mod's interpretation thereof. Let's look at the examples you listed, "whether its a plug for a vendor, a complaint against a vendor, or even a simple this is how it should be done instead of your way, or any other sort of situation.... It seems to me that certain people are taking sides and making sure threads don't continue??"

In other words, if you were a mod, there are some threads that wouldn't have been closed so quickly. Back to my original point - you are not a mod. You seem to be questioning the job "certain people" are doing. In other words, you don't think the mods (or you may have individual mods in mind) are doing their jobs very well. You think they've got an itchy trigger finger.

From what I've seen, the threads most frequently shut down are clear violations of TOS, i.e., political, religious or firearm-related. Next is vendor-related - where it could go on for infinity with the fan boys vs haters providing their particular experience. Those threads are rightfully shut down, in my opinion. Next are threads where someone takes a controversial position that is bound to be bashed to high heaven (tree straps are unnecessary, for example).

Finally, I find the call for non-biased "opinions" to be particularly humorous. That's a contradiction in terms. If I were a mod, I would shut this thread down in a heartbeat because it appears to be going nowhere.
    Pretty much.

Usually, the burden of proof lies with the accuser. You (OP) are essentially accusing a group of acting inappropriately, requesting that they not respond to explain or defend their position, and then when others express the opposite position from you, i.e. suggest that the accused are doing a good job and that their actions are guided by TOS, you counter argue that their position is not valid, biased, and ask them to show proof.

Respectfully, since you're the originator of the claim, it would behoove you to show specific examples of when threads were closed not due to being off topic, volatile, or in violation of some aspect of TOS, not the other way around.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 10-20-2014 at 00:08. Reason: edited to make it more generic - my argument stands regardless of whether it is about 'mods' or not

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Another thing to consider is its mods, not mod. They work as a team. More often then not, although it may be one person acting on something, the mods discuss items at hand as a group. Maybe not on a clear tos violation, but things that may be discretionary.

Gnar, I believe in a free society we sould have the right to question everything. This is not a free society. Its a hammock related forum. I am glade the mods keep it as such. I am not saying you should not ask these questions, just maybe it should have been a more specific question about the thread or threads you had shut down and directed towards them mods in a private matter. Even if you sent the pm to all mods.

We all understand what you are trying to say and I think silversrfr, tallpaul and the others have been very respectful. Even the mods have been respectful because they have allowed this to continue.

I just think we all prefer it this way.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I just think we all prefer it this way.
    Pretty sweeping generalization there, sport.

There's a lot that I (and many other who have since migrated to Facebook groups) don't like about the way things get run around here sometimes, but frankly it's the only place TO go to get the information that's sometimes needed. You gotta take the good with the bad.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post

There's a lot that I (and many other who have since migrated to Facebook groups) don't like about the way things get run around here sometimes, but frankly it's the only place TO go to get the information that's sometimes needed. You gotta take the good with the bad.
    Like the OP, you should specify your gripes rather than cast unspecified aspersions against the mods. Grow a pair.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

While your general displeasure with the way things are run here is clearly evident by your thankfully infrequent but always dissentiously vocal criticism of the current group in authority, you are of course entitled to express your opinion - and by taking on the role of forum administrators, they surely resigned themselves to the fact that some people would act in such a fashion.

However, your callous, sarcastic, and disrespectful dismissal of miyanc's opinion, calling him/her "sport" as if they are somehow subordinate to you, is uncalled for and out of line.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Mods, can we clean this up or close it? I think this thread is derailed!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Mods, can we clean this up or close it? I think this thread is derailed!
    Only if you can point out exactly how it has violated TOS

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think that, before a post is deleted, or a thread is closed, we ought to have a vote. The mods should post a poll, "Do you think this post/thread should be deleted/closed?" That is the only way to insure that everybody is treated fairly.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    Talking of forums in general. ..

Mods are biased, theyre often cliquey. They're human. Nothing you can do about it. The more you complain, the more subversive you'll appear. Forum regulars, those who spend an inordinate amount of their social time interjecting on most threads will jump to the mods defence. (They usually secretly want to be mods or perhaps have been mods on other forums).

Inevitably someone will say "their ball, their rules"

At some point the thread highlighting the issue will get closed in what can appear to be the ultimate irony.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!

Like the OP, you should specify your gripes rather than cast unspecified aspersions against the mods. Grow a pair.
    Now that's just plain rude and childish. He was just being honest there, Sport.

BF

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast