Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images

Hammock Stand Help

I have some ENO hammocks which I love, but at home I have no trees or anything else to hang em on. I've seen the diy stands and think its cool you guys can make your own stuff, but I don't have the tools to do so. I'm wanting to buy a stand. I was looking at the Pawelys Island stand with a 600lb capacity. It seems more stout than other stands I've looked at. I like the weight capacity of 600lb, so I can lounge with my kid in it. So my question is, is there a reason I shouldn't get the pawley's island stand? And if not what other commercial stand do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I recently picked up a similar looking used stand on Craig's List and have been using it lately:

It holds my 190 pounds okay, although there's a fair amount of flex in the setup and some free play in the connections. Despite how tightly the hammock appears to be strung in the picture, I still end up no higher than about 12 inches above ground in it.

FWIW...
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    That one looks similar to my Byers of Maine stand. I got it a while back on a good sale price, don't know what they are going for now. But it gets the job done and is reasonably portable.

I don't have any knowledge of the Pawelys Island stand. I think the Byers is only rated at 400 lbs. There is a good bit of flex. With my ridge line hammocks, I have to string them real tight to get some pre-flex going. Then when I get in there is some more flex, so RL tension is about right. After this flex, I am often close to the ground, especially with my RL hammocks. With my Claytor, I always am well above the ground.

However, lately I have not had quite as much trouble staying above the ground. I bought an extension bar, but I may have wasted my money. As we all know, the farther apart the tres, the higher you must put the straps, right? Well, unless you rig up some kind of height extender ( which would be nice), youcan't go very high with the Byer. But to my surprise, I was able to actually adjust the stand for a good 6" less than max length even when not using the extender bar. The surprise was that this left me enough length even for my longest hammock, like the Safari and Claytor. Then if I adjust so that (after whatever tensioning and pre-flex is needed) I only have a few inches of suspension between the hammack end and stand attachment, I stay up pretty good.

The biggest problem is the Safari, because it hangs so far below it's RL. But with some of the above tricks, I am staying high enough above ground even with it. But with my Claytor, I don't have to fool with any of this. At worst, maybe just hang it with a bit less sag than usual. Then when the bars flex, I am just right and well off the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If I were to buy a commercial stand, I'd want this one. Mostly because it's adjustable and should accommodate any of my camping hammocks.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If I were to buy a commercial stand, I'd want this one. Mostly because it's adjustable and should accommodate any of my camping hammocks.
    OUCH... just looking at that one scares me. For no good reason, it has those two big knobs sticking UP right under your backbone. Any break or slippage, and you're landing on those things. YIKES.

In any event, 350 lb rating just isn't enough for two adults, so it'd be a one-person stand for the most part.

Rain Man

I use the Pawleys Island in my yard almost every day. It will hold any of the hammocks I have and I have 4 different manufacturers. When I want to use a tarp I use a couple of tent poles at the ends to hang the tarp from.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    http://http://design.spotcoolstuff.c...o/best-hammock
    This one is a beauty. Just a bit pricey.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I use the Pawleys Island in my yard almost every day. It will hold any of the hammocks I have and I have 4 different manufacturers. When I want to use a tarp I use a couple of tent poles at the ends to hang the tarp from.
    I had a Pawley Island stand that I used inside. I returned it (and got a Byers of Maine stand - luving it!) because it hung so low...I could overtighten the hammock or lay on the ground
    Did you have that problem?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    OUCH... just looking at that one scares me. For no good reason, it has those two big knobs sticking UP right under your backbone. Any break or slippage, and you're landing on those things. YIKES.

In any event, 350 lb rating just isn't enough for two adults, so it'd be a one-person stand for the most part.

Rain Man

I see your point Rain Man...those knobs would hurt!
    I also use that stand...I while the knobs would hurt, but so would the floor support tube so I just don't fall down!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I had a Pawley Island stand that I used inside. I returned it (and got a Byers of Maine stand - luving it!) because it hung so low...I could overtighten the hammock or lay on the ground
    Did you have that problem?
    No but I normally use my Clarks which like tight hangs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast