DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Ken, I have gone to the south end of Kistler Mem Hwy by taking exit 100 off I40 & going north,
    taking a left at Freedom High Sch (I believe that puts you onto 126?)
    That takes you by Lake James & Wolf Pit East Rd.
    Continuing on until I get to Kestler on the right.
    Would there be any disadvantage to going that way instead of taking exit 105 as you suggested?
    Tim, coming to Freedom High and hitting 126 works too. It seems a bit longer to me and has more curves on 126. Michael uses that way, and I have before too.

The other way, getting off at exit 94 seems to get me onto Kistler quicker. Benfield Landing Road is curvy, but short. I think it takes me about 10 minutes to get from the interstate to the foot of Kistler that way. It's pretty much a coin toss I guess, and if you're coming in the dark it might be best to use the route you know!

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks Ken. Let's see if I can get this work day taken care of & get on the road!!! See ya this eve!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Thanks Ken. Let's see if I can get this work day taken care of & get on the road!!! See ya this eve!
    Ok Tim, We'll be looking and listening for you. Be careful on the road!

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB NS & Prototype
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchClips
    Hitting the road in about 30 minutes. Woo Hoo!!!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I got to spend yesterday and last night with the crew out at the ditch, but had to come home today. Those in attendance were:

Hangin' Burrito
    Running Feather
    MacEntyre
    Headcase
    Stormcrow
    Thr33
    Shug
    The Turk
    Hicks
    JerryW
    Hooch

A good time was being had by all. We finally made camp just below the Old Conley parking area and settled in. Folks arrived here and there and got set up as well. We had a lot of stories told, stoves demonstrated and learned how to use ping-pong balls as ultralightweight firestarters. It was a great time and I wish I could have stayed longer. I'm sure that a trip report, pics, videos, DNA specimens, etc will be forthcoming from the rest of the crew.

One excellent new piece of gear that was seen was Stormcrow's 3/4 length underquilts. Thr33 has dubbed them the "Crow's Nest". I, for one, think the name should stick. That's the Crow's Nest from Stormcrow. Ask for it by name.
    Last edited by Hooch; 10-27-2009 at 21:41.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    One excellent new piece of gear that was seen was Stormcrow's 3/4 length underquilts. Thr33 has dubbed them the "Crow's Nest". I, for one, think the name should stick. That's the Crow's Nest from Stormcrow. Ask for it by name.
    Having been part of storrmcrow's sweatshop this past weekend (rained all weekend and we couldn't get on the roof,) and also having one of these myself (one of the three we made over the weekend,) I have to agree. The three we made were between 13 and 14 oz. of down, differential with camo outer shells. I don't remember the exact finished dimensions or weights, but I know stormcrow will post info on them when he gets back because we wrote it all down. And he's sticking with the "Crow's Nest?"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Having been part of storrmcrow's sweatshop this past weekend (rained all weekend and we couldn't get on the roof,) and also having one of these myself (one of the three we made over the weekend,) I have to agree. The three we made were between 13 and 14 oz. of down, differential with camo outer shells. I don't remember the exact finished dimensions or weights, but I know stormcrow will post info on them when he gets back because we wrote it all down.
    Having seen these underquilts and getting the change to inspect one pretty closely, they are very well made. The stitching and workmanship is incredible, a very well made piece of gear. I'm sure that Thr33 will attest to its warmth when he gets back for the ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    .......he's sticking with the "Crow's Nest?"
    Nope, we're naming it the Crow's Nest for him.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I was thinking Crow's Nest or possibly Storm Shelter. Though, maybe Storm Shelter would be better if he started making custom tarps!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Having seen these underquilts and getting the change to inspect one pretty closely, they are very well made. The stitching and workmanship is incredible, a very well made piece of gear.
    Thanks. We had a lot of practice. And most of the stitching was done in the wee hours.

Nope, we're naming it the Crow's Nest for him.
    I had suggested that name to him over the weekend, but I was concerned with the "nest" part of it for obvious reasons, and downplayed it. That is why I'm surprised that Thr33 picked it back up. But I really like the name, especially if nobody objects.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    I was thinking Crow's Nest or possibly Storm Shelter. Though, maybe Storm Shelter would be better if he started making custom tarps!
    I like that for a tarp name! We threw a bunch of names around over the weekend, some of them unusable on a public moderated forum. It was fun. I highly recommend talking a friend or two into doing a weekend sew-a-thon now and then. It makes the frustration easier to take when you have someone to banter back and forth with, and make fun of.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Hooch, it was good to see you again. Great time! I'll be posting pics and a trip report either 2nite or in the early AM. Right now I seriously need a shower. Lots to write. We had a blast.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

• + New Posts
  • Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast