Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HG Stand​ard Cube​n Fibe​r Tarp with door​s or War Bonnet Mamaj​amba with door kit

Is it worth the extra $110 for the cuban fiber tarp or go with the Mamajamba? Looking for opinions.

http://www.hammockgear.com/standard-...rp-with-doors/ - $295
    or
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/mamajamba/ - $185 (with door kit)

How bad do these tarps let light through?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowers06 View Post
    Is it worth the extra $110 for the cuban fiber tarp or go with the Mamajamba? Looking for opinions.
    If you're a backpacker it's worth the extra $$ for the cuben - 10-12 oz lighter.

How bad do these tarps let light through?
    Standard green or grey cuben lets vitually all light in while the camo lets most of the light in. Far less light penetration for the silnylon Mamajamba.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Cuben is for backpackers, in my opinion. Backpackers are usually hiking during the day so light is a non-issue. If you're one who likes to lounge in your hammock in the midday sun, I'd suggest staying away from cuben.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Cuben is for backpackers, in my opinion. Backpackers are usually hiking during the day so light is a non-issue. If you're one who likes to lounge in your hammock in the midday sun, I'd suggest staying away from cuben.
    ...or bring some eye shades.........
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You will find no better advice than the comments above.
    If weight is a concern to you than yes, the extra cost is worth it.
    If not then the Mamajamba is an excellent choice.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    You also should be comparing a superfly to a cuben with doors. I have both and use the cuben almost all of the time. I do not have problems with light because I rarely set up in direct sunlight and I personally like the translucency and feeling less enclosed. For serious winter hangs it's the superfly and everything else I use the cuben with doors. The cuben is my goto..
    John aka Suede

Thanks for all the opinions! I will be using this for backpacking, not just laying in the hammock. I only asked about the light because my friend said that the Cubens let in a lot of light, but then I went on a trip this weekend and woke up 2 hours before they finally rolled out and I don't think the light is what will wake me up early anyway... so I guess weight is my biggest concern.

I was looking at the superfly as well, but that weighs a little more than the mamajamba and didn't seem to add more coverage?

P.S. I'm a newbie. This past weekend was my first trip in a hammock, so I'm trying to make a wishlist of everything I want (neeeeeed) so I don't have to borrow a friends to get out there.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Thanks for all the opinions! I will be using this for backpacking, not just laying in the hammock. I only asked about the light because my friend said that the Cubens let in a lot of light, but then I went on a trip this weekend and woke up 2 hours before they finally rolled out and I don't think the light is what will wake me up early anyway... so I guess weight is my biggest concern.

I was looking at the superfly as well, but that weighs a little more than the mamajamba and didn't seem to add more coverage?

P.S. I'm a newbie. This past weekend was my first trip in a hammock, so I'm trying to make a wishlist of everything I want (neeeeeed) so I don't have to borrow a friends to get out there.
    Welcome to the addiction!

The superfly has the same coverage as the mamajamba with doors but is a little lighter. With the mamajamba you have the option of leaving one or both doors at home. If you have the money, the cuben is pretty amazing but less coverage in the width. Either will serve you well. Warbonnet and HammockGear both make top shelf gear.
    John aka Suede

Thanks John. I am trying to convince my mom (who still buys me awesome presents even though I'm 26) to get me a sleeping bag and pad for Christmas so I can splurge some on the tarp... we'll see. $100 just seems like a lot to pay for a less heavy tarp, but I'm not sure how critical it all is because I'm so new. I certainly would rather pay more upfront for what I will eventually want than to buy something, regret it, and end up buying something more expensive later anyway.

Hammock
    Netty Hammeck
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 uq
    Suspension
    straps & rings
    Images
    Thanks John. I am trying to convince my mom (who still buys me awesome presents even though I'm 26) to get me a sleeping bag and pad for Christmas so I can splurge some on the tarp... we'll see. $100 just seems like a lot to pay for a less heavy tarp, but I'm not sure how critical it all is because I'm so new. I certainly would rather pay more upfront for what I will eventually want than to buy something, regret it, and end up buying something more expensive later anyway.
    I was a beginner to hanging as well, but I've been backpacking for years. I bought the HG Cuben tarp with doors and it's worth every single penny to save the weight. It's so light, and with the snakeskins from mountaingoat, it's a piece of cake to setup/takedown. I highly recommend going with the cuben fiber.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast