Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pads & Sweat?

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps

Pads & Sweat?

I've been reading about people not liking pads because they cause sweating. Is this only a problem when sleeping in a hammock? Or is it the same when sleeping on the ground?

I have used pads for years when tent camping or open air camping but I've never had issues with sweating. Would this be different for me in a hammock? The only times I've had issues like this were when the outside temperature was just uncomfortably hot.

Those who have issues with this, is it because you slept directly on the pad without a sleeping bag or blanketing under you, between you and the pad? Or is it something peculiar to hammock sleeping?

I've never had condensation problems either, used a mat forever on the ground and suspended - I guess it depends on how much you sweat, but mainly on the thermal quality of your mat. Cheap, thin mats that do not insulate well tend to be colder against your body so are more prone to cause condensation. Thermarests or equivalent are great insulators and thus far I have had no problems with them in my -18 down bag. I sleep butt nekked too which may help evaporation.

There should be no difference between sleeping on the ground or in a hammock.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Sps

One thing, IMO, that contributes to SPS, (sweat pad syndrom). I sleep like a rock in my hammock, moving very little during the night. I used a pad on the ground prior to hammock camping and would toss and turn all night. I don't think I layed in one position long enough to create a sweaty spot. Or layed in one position long enough to get a good nights sleep, either.
    I think if I'm sweating, I'm probably overinsulated, not a bad thing in most cases, but I need to figure out a way to be able to ventilate. A breathable fabric wrapped around the pad may help. Or, small vent holes in pad.
    Of course, either of these options create problems as well. Venting with small holes would allow for a draft during cold nights. Fabric would add weight to my setup. Not that I'm counting grams, but I want things simple.
    Right now, if I wake up and realize I'm sweating I just roll over on my side to allow for venting. Its working.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It has been suggested that when you are on the ground you tend to roll from side to side more allowing the sweat to evaporate. I know I do as I try to got off one pinch point so I can create another. And you are so comfortable in a hammock that you don't roll as much.I thru'd with a z-rest and sometimes there would be puddles in the eggcrates. I don't think I sweat much more then average.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CR0M View Post
    I've never had condensation problems either, used a mat forever on the ground and suspended - I guess it depends on how much you sweat, but mainly on the thermal quality of your mat. Cheap, thin mats that do not insulate well tend to be colder against your body so are more prone to cause condensation. Thermarests or equivalent are great insulators and thus far I have had no problems with them in my -18 down bag. I sleep butt nekked too which may help evaporation.

There should be no difference between sleeping on the ground or in a hammock.
    The r value (insulation rating) of CCF pads is GREATER than that of most self inflators (thermarests) per inch of thickness.
    The problem with CCFs is they do not breathe. Your inflatables will breathe some. UQs breathe the best.
    And that is why you have more condensation issues with CCFs.
    Condensation varies greatly from person to person, environment to environment...plenty of great info on this site if you search condensation threads.
    A simple layer of ripstop between you and a CCF pad will do wonders for consensation issues...whether it eliminates it in ALL situations depends on you and your situations.
    while this article (authored by Youngblood) doesn't address condenstion, it does have a wealth of info about upper/lower insulation, specifically r values and recommended temp ranges for most pads... http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsle...06/Jan2006.htm
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sweater here!

I agree that the difference between pads on the ground and in a hammock boil down to the difference in sleep movement. I hardly move at all when I sleep in a hammock. On the ground, no telling where I'll end-up. There is no chance for moisture to escape when I'm in a hammock.

My worst nights with a pad were spent laying directly on top of them. Anything, even a layer of ripstop, between me and the pads helps tremendously. I still wake-up with my backside a little damp, but not soaked. Although expensive, underquilts make those issues just go away.

In the interest of full disclosure, I sweat a lot anyway and I sleep much warmer than the average person. Pads and I are just kind of natural enemies.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    On the ground I've only used thermarests and have sweated them. Last winter after two nights at around 40deg I went to pack my bag and only then discovered it was soaked with condensation. I don't think inflatable pads breath at all, otherwise they wouldn't hold air.

In the hammock pads conform even more to your body, increasing the sweat factor.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I sweated a wee bit but never enough to bother or chill me......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    On the ground I've only used thermarests and have sweated them. Last winter after two nights at around 40deg I went to pack my bag and only then discovered it was soaked with condensation. I don't think inflatable pads breath at all, otherwise they wouldn't hold air.

In the hammock pads conform even more to your body, increasing the sweat factor.
    technically your right...
    the fabric covering the inflatable mattress will allow your back to breathe (well, migrate moisture from under you so it can evaporate) not the mattress itself....
    results are the same

knotty...if you have moisture issues with a thermarest, do not even try a simple ccf...WOW, you might need a lifejacket!
    makes you appreciate your SS more, doesn't it!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    technically your right...
    the fabric covering the inflatable mattress will allow your back to breathe (well, migrate moisture from under you so it can evaporate) not the mattress itself....
    results are the same

knotty...if you have moisture issues with a thermarest, do not even try a simple ccf...WOW, you might need a lifejacket!
    makes you appreciate your SS more, doesn't it!
    The SS is great, but even there I'm finding moisture. At least its not in my bag or against my skin.

Maybe all this loss of moisture is why I'm usually cold. Too much evaporative cooling.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast