Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pads & Sweat?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    The SS is great, but even there I'm finding moisture. At least its not in my bag or against my skin.

Maybe all this loss of moisture is why I'm usually cold. Too much evaporative cooling.
    Is your moisture on your space blanket, if you use one? I would find a few drops on the low point of my SB, either in the SS or PeaPod, but it was pretty minor. I couldn't tell that any of my insulation ever actually got wet.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I have slept with my BA inflatable / bag system on the ground and in a hammock. For me the cold clammy feeling of condensation was the same in both situations. That's why I built an underquilt. No more problems. YMMV!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Is your moisture on your space blanket, if you use one? I would find a few drops on the low point of my SB, either in the SS or PeaPod, but it was pretty minor. I couldn't tell that any of my insulation ever actually got wet.
    Moisture in various locations...SB, inside of SS, the ocf pad. Cant find rhyme or reason yet.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Cats meow, snugfit
    Suspension
    Webbing and biners
    When its cold I use a Ridgerest. I hate sleeping on a pad! Always have a little condensate in the grooves. Not enough to wet my bag. I am going to get an uq.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Another very major point.... on the ground the pad is flat.... You have 5 points in contact with the pad and your body curves away from the pad allowing evaporation, plus as stated your frequent tossing and turning allows the evaporation....

In a hammock with wide pads they wrap up around you and the hammock serves to keep a full body presss of the nonbreathing pad around you...Literally some have experianced actual sweat puddles under the small of the back under these conditions...Evaporation of the sweat is near impossible if you are sleeping warma and are a sweater because of the wrap issue.... It really is quite different from a pad on the ground.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

When I got into hanging I picked up a tip from Sgt Rock's site to cover the pad with a piece of fabric to deal with condensation. In my case, I found a lightweight fleece throw at Campmor which more than covered my 40 X 60 pad, weighed 11oz, and cost about $11. Campmor still sells 'em (micro fleece throw, #82223-B).

For a long time I carried that fleece and clipped it to my pad. And it seemed to work...I virtually never had the issue of condensation. But I always begrudged the 13oz (incld clips) which was nearly twice the weight of the pad itself. I eventually stopped using the fleece...and still suffered no condensation problems.

Much of my luck is probably due to my location...I'm in the arid mountain west and humidity, even at night, is not an issue. The rest of my good fortune I attibute to my sleep system. I'm always in Smartwool long underwear (again...mountain west=very cool nights) and that set wicks very nicely.

That might be a starting place for those with pad/condensation problems...try a wicking baselayer.

FB

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Moisture in various locations...SB, inside of SS, the ocf pad. Cant find rhyme or reason yet.

see new thread I don't want to hijack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12