Hullo from Perth Western Australia

Hi guys and gals I am a keen bush walker and car/motorcycle camper I like to spend a couple of weekends a month out in the bush. I am not into the ultra light, survivalist, marathon trekking out door experience. I am more the outdoors with a beer in my hand taking in the view type. I do like to walk but I luv my comforts. I find that sleeping in a normal bed to be increasingly uncomfortable so while surfing the net following my other interest (motorcycling camping) I found posts on hammock camping and have become increasingly intrigued with the idea. I very recently purchased a HH Expedition and have gone into information overload reading about the dark art that is hammocking. There is a staggering amount of information on this forum for which I am so grateful.

I am well chuffed that this is a forum of passionate people, or, less politely put, obsessive nuts. I love to be with my peers. I have realised that hammocks are a type of portable rubber room that is when you are in your hammock there are no hard surfaces to bang your head against. On this site we can truly say that when we look up our family tree we can see our relatives still sitting there.

So I spent this evening building and testing a turtle lady hammock stand and when I get a suitable ridge pole I will be sleeping in my back garden. Once I have sorted it I will take it camping.
    A little about Oz geography and being out doors in Oz
    The city of I live in is about 1.2 mil persons the number of hammock outlets (other than the large hardware outlet stores and camping stores selling garden hammocks) is nil. Keep in mind that Australia, with a land mass similar to the contiguos U.S. has a pop of 23 mil compared to the U.S. 370mil plus change hammock camping is a burgeoning niche camping activity. Most of oz is arid similar to Arizona and Texas so the forrested areas are close to the coast (specifically the south east and south west coasts) as are most of the 23 mil Aussies. You may have read about and watch TV shows stating how Oz has the most of the worlds top 10 venomous snakes spiders and sea creatures, tourist eating crocodiles, plus loads of killer sharks, angry possums and cantankerous koalas. No need to be worried about those things if you decide to go out doors in Oz just look where you going and you will be ok. I am less scared in out doors Oz than I was in out doors USA what with the black bears, grizzly bears, cougars, mountain lions, bob cats, rattle snakes, quill shooting porcupines, spraying skunks and trigger happy deer hunters.
    The Perth climate is officially known as mediterranian kind of LA with out the smog and more rainfall in winter. Hot summers cool winters swarms of flies and in places plenty of mosquitos.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Welcome to HF from the States.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    G'day and welcome from Canada!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Welcome from Tassie. Plenty of Oz hangers about, and you have quite a few over there in the west.

Enjoy and just shout out if you have any questions.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Ooroo from Brissy, welcome to the forum Greddy.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts