simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies

How taut it too taut?

I've got a crazy creek 1.4 silnylon tarp, a noah's 12 and the like.... I tend so set up a pretty tight pitch and have not really had any problems, but i wonder if maybe I'm tightening these things too tightly sometime. How would I know, and how would I measure the tension ( or actually what device would I use to measure the tension ?) I do use diy tarp tensioners on the guy-outs.
    I'm just looking at the long term serice of the tarps.
    Or am I looking for something hammock oriented to fool with?
    Last edited by silent chad; 10-23-2014 at 09:07. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Unless you're using mechanical advantage of some sort to set the tension (trucker's hitch, toggle in the line, line crank, etc.), I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of the lines we work with are too narrow to really crank down hard enough to hurt a tarp by hand without cutting up your hands pretty badly.

Now, if you ARE using mechanical advantage, I'd recommend against it. Then you might have a problem.

Otherwise, you're just looking for something to tinker with.

As always, YMMV.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I used to crank my mamajamba tarp between the trees tighter than a guitar string. But recently I loosened it up a but, and putting more tension on each corner tie out. I believe Brandon suggests something like this on the warbonnet website video. So, no real definitive answer here other than just use good judgement.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Like all things in hammocking...tarp tautness depends on the situation. Rain, wind, etc.

The ridgeline should only be so tight as to not have much sag. A good test is to pitch the tarp, then attach something 1-2 pounds to the ridgeline. Did it sag? A little, or a lot? If you're using paracord, it's tough to get a taut pitch because the stuff is so stretchy. Zing it or lash it is your best bet.

I'm sure there is a fancy device to measure tension, as a matter of fact the Ultimate Hang author (dhoja?) uses one in his videos to demonstrate forces exerted on supports...but in practicality, you're not going to carry a measurement tool with you into the backcountry.

You can avoid all of this hand wringing by attaching 3/32" shock cord loop to your tie outs. A 12" piece will give you a 6" lead, and the loop will give greater pull power. Then attach your DIY tensioner of choice to the shock cord loop.

When pitching, put enough tension on the tie out so that you still get ~2" of give out of the elastic. You'll have a beautiful, taut tarp that keeps you dry, blocks wind, and has some for-give-ness in case you trip over those tie outs.
    Last edited by EZbreezy; 10-23-2014 at 09:40. Reason: add content

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by EZbreezy View Post
    Like all things in hammocking...tarp tautness depends on the situation. Rain, wind, etc.

The ridgeline should only be so tight as to not have much sag. A good test is to pitch the tarp, then attach something 1-2 pounds to the ridgeline. Did it sag? A little, or a lot? If you're using paracord, it's tough to get a taut pitch because the stuff is so stretchy. Zing it or lash it is your best bet.

I'm sure there is a fancy device to measure tension, as a matter of fact the Ultimate Hang author (dhoja?) uses one in his videos to demonstrate forces exerted on supports...but in practicality, you're not going to carry a measurement tool with you into the backcountry.

You can avoid all of this hand wringing by attaching 3/32" shock cord loop to your tie outs. A 12" piece will give you a 6" lead, and the loop will give greater pull power. Then attach your DIY tensioner of choice to the shock cord loop.

When pitching, put enough tension on the tie out so that you still get ~2" of give out of the elastic. You'll have a beautiful, taut tarp that keeps you dry, blocks wind, and has some for-give-ness in case you trip over those tie outs.
    I've used the shock cord loops before, but stopped when I started using the line tensioners, thinking they were superfluous. I do use lash-it on each end of the ridgeline, but not on the side tie-outs.
    I really appreciate the info Y'all. I haven't had any problems yet ( and I'm out most every weekend ) just want to avoid future troubles.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by silent chad View Post
    I've used the shock cord loops before, but stopped when I started using the line tensioners, thinking they were superfluous. I do use lash-it on each end of the ridgeline, but not on the side tie-outs.
    I really appreciate the info Y'all. I haven't had any problems yet ( and I'm out most every weekend ) just want to avoid future troubles.
    The reason for shock cord tensioners is for SilNylon tarps, which nylon, stretch over time. So instead of wakking up with a flapping SilNylon tarp, a shock cord tensioner, set taut , will absorb the slack that gathers throughout the night.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    So am I gaining anything by using both the loops and the tarp-tensioners on the noah's tarp, being that it's poly? I always use the tensioners on my silnylon tarps. I'll put the shock cord loops back on the tie-outs and then attach the tensioners to that on my silnylon tarps ( per EZbreazy's suggestion). In my mind the tensioners being there for slack and the loops being to keep me from torqing my lines too much. On the noah's tarp I'd probably just use the loops to cord. Am I on the right track?
    Last edited by silent chad; 10-23-2014 at 13:36. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    You caj measure thw force using a fish scale. Not the scales from a fish, but the device used to weigh them. Put it inline with your guylines and crank down at will.

To answer your question, it might be possible depending on the cord used and the reinforcements on the tarp.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I don't know why I'm obsessing over this since I've never had any trouble with tarps ripping or anything like that....I generally just try to minimize the risk of failure.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The RL doesn't need to be tight at all. Even a small dip is no problem. The guy lines with the tarp tensioners will give you your indication of when to stop.

Set the RL a little higher than where it will be finished and loosely guy out the corners.

After the tarp is set up, then go to each guy line and tighten until the tensioner is ~90% extended. After you finish with the last one, you'll see all tensioners are pulled to their limit and the RL will look tight also. Your done.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast