2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet

Advice on practical temperature range for an Incubator 0

I've exchanged emails with Jenny at HQ referencing info on their website. Our communications have been both timely and helpful but I could use perspective from other HG under quilt users in the temperature ranges you've experienced with the Incubator 0. This would be my first under quilt. I've decided a full length is best for me believing it will be more forgiving. Torso and 3/4 is down the road a bit.

I don't worry about being able to reach single digits in cold temperatures but wonder if I will be able to use this quilt for warmer temperatures to the upper 50's/low 60's.

I anticipate camping from the low 60's down to the upper teens with most of my trips between the mid 20's up to the mid 50's. I've got a Blackbird DL that would allow me to supplement an under quilt with something in the DL if I had to. But the ability to drop to single digits with the Incubator 0 is appealing.

I understand you can hang the quilt loosely to help vent but this quilt packs a lot of wallop in terms of insulation. I read a thread earlier today suggesting that bottom insulation wasn't a limiting factor from being too warm. The analogy was comparing how a mattress worked suggesting getting too warm had more to do with top cover.

I'd appreciate advice.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've used my 0* Incubator in the 60s. I strictly vent using my TQ, not my UQ.

With that said, for the ranges you specify you'd be much better off with a 20* UQ, unless you're strictly a car camper. I used a 20* Phoenix and 20* Burrow for a couple of years in temps from 70* down to 13 degrees. I really don't use my 0* quilts unless it's below 20 degrees, or if I'm loaning the 20* quilts to someone.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I used my 0 up to 70's, using only a sheet as top cover, mostly not even covering me except the coolest part of the night. It's probably heavier than you need if only going to 20. Just supplement with a warmer base layer and you'll be fine with the 20 as SilvrSurfr suggested. Unless you are a cold sleeper, then get the 0 but I have no problems being too hot underneath. For reference, I have a 0* Phincubator for UQ. Depending on how hot it is I have 20* and 40* TQs or use a light sheet for above 60* or just wear some light clothes.
    Brady

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    #1 What is the COLDEST temperature in which you plan to hang? If 20s, then get a 20degree quilt. You can add an ounce or 2 to take you into the teens.
    #2 UQs are weird. They keep you warm but they sorta do so by keeping you from getting cold, if that makes sense.

Here in Texas, I use a 20UQ and 50TQ. I am a warm sleeper, so that combo's only limiting factor is the TQ, which i can supplement with a good base layer and a Woobie. I will eventually get a 20 TQ to match the UQ for Jan/Feb hanging, but i got a great deal on a lightly used Burrow 50 that i couldn't pass up, and the TQ is freaking tiny, especially in comparison to the UQ.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Humer91, I think the coldest temperature I will plan for is about 13-15. I've done that on the ground and to be honest wasn't a lot of fun. I'm hanging this week on vacation at the beach. It isn't cold, bottoming out about 50 but the wind is steady in the 15 mph. I'm going without a tarp using light cover on top and am using couple layers of 1/4" CCF below. Helping me understand how to manage insulation under differing conditions. Have to admit wishing I had an under quilt to slip into the equation.

Thanks Brady and SilvrSurfr. I'll build your equipment virtually on a piece of paper. It will help me visualize your set ups. I'll think through your suggestions. All this is helping me. Thx.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    with that said, maybe a 20degree UQ with an ounce or 2 of overfill, and a nice UQP to cut the wind.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hoard View Post
    Humer91, I think the coldest temperature I will plan for is about 13-15.
    If that's all you're planning, then a 0* Incubator is overkill (unless you're a car camper, in which case it doesn't matter). Look at a 20* Incubator or Phoenix.

I'm a hiker so the 3/4 length 20* Phoenix is my go-to quilt. I also have a Phoenix 40 and a 0* Incubator, but those are really specialized quilts, in my mind, with an extremely limited range. They aren't half as versatile as the 20* Phoenix.

Mind you, I do most of my camping in temps between 40 and 0 degrees.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I have a 2 yr old HG 40 TQ. It's been good to 40. Now it's getting down to 30 so I'll try some long-jones tonight. If I'm still cold I'll probably order a 20. Should have done that to start with.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I will probably do a bit of car camping but my vision is more toward backpacking. I understanding the tradeoffs between full length and 3/4. Makes sense but for the next year I'll take a conservative path with a full length UQ as I learn more about the equipment and how to manage changes in weather.

I'd toyed with the idea of beefing up an Incubator 20 with a bit of overstuff. Not to the equivalency of an Incubator 0 but an ounce more. But I am also learning more about how to moderate comfort using different types of clothing. I've used some of my running dudes like poly pro long johns and balaclava to help out this fall when I've gotten down into the low 30s this fall. Comments in this thread are making me realize staying warm is a composite of tactics.

Thanks for the continued advice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I went the opposite. Shorter quilts to longer. My 48" Leighlo is great for trying to lighten up but add in the weight of a pad and it's not enough of a weight gap for me to go back to it.

My 0* Phincubator weighs 678g and my Leighlo 30* plus short ccf pad is 576g. There's also almost no fiddle factor with the Phincubator, I just hook it on and go to bed. Ease of setup is important to me as it drives me nuts to have to adjust the quilt and try and stay on the pad all night since I'm an active sleeper.
    Brady

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast