Triple layer hammock?

I'm playing with the idea of a triple layer hammock made of noseeum mesh as bugnet/sleeping pad pocket, 70D nylon as middle layer and 30d nylon as windstopper/sleeping pad pocket/extra weight support. This might not be an idea worthy of life, but in my head it seems like a semi decent option for people who live in areas with unstable weather.

The idea is that the user can slip between the 70D and noseeum if he wants a bugnet, and can slip a sleeping pad between 70D and 30D layer. If it's cold or windy outside, user can flip the hammock upside down, use the 30D layer as windstopper, and the noseeum under the 70D layer to hold sleeping pad in place. If user wants to stargaze, user can sleep on top of all three layers. Ridgeline attached in one end with small carabiner or other way to easily put under bugnet or windstopper.

All three layers sewn together on ends and one side, zipper on the noseeum and 30D layer.

Any input appreciated. I have two cheapo ebay hammocks to try and see if the windstopper idea is any decent, but I have to find them first.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I think anything is worth a shot. Keep us posted if you decide to try it out.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Don't know that I'm following. It sounds like you would have an integrated bug net and over cover. But if they are loose enough to function as those, I don't see how they could be structural and function to hold a pad in place. Also, how would you get in and out of the bug net while keeping the bugs out.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The DD and Claytor hammocks are basically 3-layers as you describe with channel ends. In bug-mode, the netting is lifted up and away from the user via some shock cord attached to either a ridgeline or some other attachment point. Entry between the netting and body is via a zipper. Entire hammock can be flipped over for use without bugnet. Pad can be placed between the two fabric layers.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have seen this done before. Gargoyle has a hammock similar to what you are describing. It works and is pretty slick. If he doesn't jump in on this thread, you could PM him for details.
    My head is an animal

• + New Posts