Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jocono View Post
    Coldest I've slept in it was up in Kentucky earlier this year and the temps got down to around 45*and all I had was my sleeping bag which is rated for temps 20* and up. I woke up a little chilly but not too bad. I didn't have thermals or sweats, as we weren't really expecting the cold temps. My feet were the coldest though, which I'll solve with a hot water bottle hopefully.
    Good luck. Looking forward to the trip report! I would consider taking something for bottom insulation. You could also make a peapod out of your SB.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    brown 10'x10'
    Insulation
    between 2 bushes
    With temps dropping into the 20's tomorrow night, I might just have to bite the bullet and go buy a pad.
    Anyone have any thoughts on just using my tarp as a pad to insulate my bottom half? It would leave me exposed, but was wondering if it would work at all...

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    I've read a few places where a pad is a pain in the butt in a hammock unless your hammock is designed specifically for a pad. WalMart has a cheap pad for $15 I may go buy. I can't imagine it being much worse than waking up in a tent at 17*...

On a side note, has anyone hiked up 210 and down 223? I've read what few trip reports that are out there, but not many people seem to go up that way.

We were planning on going up 200/207/210/223/208/206/209(camp around 204)/end back at 200. Anyone advise differently?

Attachment 96025
    Pads aren't too bad in a hammock. Still much more comfortable than the ground.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

You are going to FREEZE

With temps dropping into the 20's tomorrow night, I might just have to bite the bullet and go buy a pad.
    Anyone have any thoughts on just using my tarp as a pad to insulate my bottom half? It would leave me exposed, but was wondering if it would work at all...
    I would say your tarp is going to serve you better used as it is intended. Low tomorrow night is going to be 28°F. To me, that is COLD. I swap between several 20° and below rated UQs during the winter and fair well. I also have tried several 40° - 55°F UQs in the 30s just to push them and see how they performed. There is a reason they are rated for 40°F and above..... I got cold. I would at the very least go get a pad, slip it in your SB so that it does not move around in hammock. You can also "zip" a jacket around your foot end to help keep your feet warmer along with your water bottle. Take an emergency blanket as well. I suspect you might need to supplement with it and to me its and important to have one with you anyway. They are cheap at walmart if you don't already have one. The Walmart yoga mats are under 20$ and well worth it if that is your only option.

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Hunting is allowed, but do hunters bother? It's not like you can take a 4-wheeler into the area. Anything you take down would have to be dragged out, possibly several miles.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For what it's worth, overnighting in the Sipsey during hunting season requires a permit obtained at the Bankhead Ranger Station on Hwy 33 north of Double Springs. Of course there isn't anyone to check you for said permit once in the Sipsey. I have hiked and camped in the wilderness for 30+ years during hunting season and have never seen a hunter or heard gunfire. As someone mentioned the terrain is too rugged and no four wheelers are allowed so that pretty much guarantees no hunter will venture into the wilderness to hunt where he has to drag a deer for miles.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jowee View Post
    Hunting is allowed, but do hunters bother? It's not like you can take a 4-wheeler into the area. Anything you take down would have to be dragged out, possibly several miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    For what it's worth, overnighting in the Sipsey during hunting season requires a permit obtained at the Bankhead Ranger Station on Hwy 33 north of Double Springs. Of course there isn't anyone to check you for said permit once in the Sipsey. I have hiked and camped in the wilderness for 30+ years during hunting season and have never seen a hunter or heard gunfire. As someone mentioned the terrain is too rugged and no four wheelers are allowed so that pretty much guarantees no hunter will venture into the wilderness to hunt where he has to drag a deer for miles.
    Well, that is downright interesting! Out west, hunters use horses for wilderness hunting. But maybe that's not popular in this neck of the woods, probably not. Never seen a hunter or heard gunfire in 30 years? Well maybe I have been wrong to stay out during hunting season amd one of the best times of the year? Maybe blaze orange plus the low or maybe even non-existent hunter #s = plenty of safety?

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Horses are not allowed in the wilderness either.

Images
    No horses? Well, I just keep on learning in this thread! I'm vastly experienced with our western wildernesses, all of which far as I know allow horses. But, I have much less experience with eastern wilderness. Although I have been to Sipsey numerous times, I guess I just ***umed horses were allowed. Though I have not seen any actually.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They are allowed on 208 and 224 which are actually not trails in the wilderness but remains of old forest service roads that were not in the original boundaries of the wilderness. When the wilderness was expanded horses were grandfathered in on these two trails/FS roads.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast