Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps

Taking the plunge...

I've DIY'd plenty in my time. Why not this too? So, I'm looking at sewing mach.... sorry, thread injectors, and have realized how completely and utterly ignorant I am regarding these machines. What am I looking for???

A person local is selling a Singer 247 and a "Simple-to-use" Zigzag 1000. Both at the asking price of $45. Would either of these get me where I want to be, or should I be looking at something different?

I'm looking to make myself a UQ/TQ, maybe a tarp at some point, definitely a hammock at some point. Stuff sacks. Pretty much in that order... though I think I'll start with the sacks first using scrap material (old tents) for fodder... I mean practice!

How about video suggestions on getting started? Sorry if all of this is laid out somewhere. I checked the DIY sub-forum briefly, and didn't see anything that stood out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Also a Dressmaker 950 w/stand for $50. Haha, I have no idea what any of this is. LOL.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I prefer old and solid (heavy, metal) and simple. You won't need fancy stitches or electronics, just straight & reverse, zigzag, maybe buttonhole. I used to do all my sewing on an ancient treadle that didn't do anything but stitch straight forward, but I'm half a million years old. You'll probably want something a little more advanced than that. Just sayin' it can be done!
    If possible, have the seller show you how to thread it, fill & insert the bobbin, and test how it runs so you can see smooth & even stitches on both sides of the fabric. It's not too hard to adjust & maintain older machines, but you don't want to have to fool with that too much while you're getting used to making the thing go where you want. Lots of manuals online if it doesn't come with one. Just my 2c, fwiw in today's economy!

Look at this thread, starting at Post #19 (I think) and following for "getting started" video suggestions (vids are not just for vintage machines, but check out the fine machines while you're there)!
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1344954
    Last edited by WhollyHamaca; 10-27-2014 at 20:14. Reason: added thread link for videos

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I am surprised Ramblinrev hasn't commented. His videos on beginners is great.

I look for machines all the time. I have 2. One thing to consider is how much experience you have and how far your willing to go. I enjoy working on my machine and getting more to fix up. I knew nothing about a sewing machine when I started. Other then some people could use them to make stuff. I bought one machine from goodwill (singer 476 zigzag stylist), thought it was working and had to almost take the whole thing apart before I got it working. I had fun and enjoyed the mechanical challenge. I also bought another machine on CL (singer 15-91 from 1948) that did not need any work, but I rewired it and cleaned it out before putting new lube and oil.

If none of this sounds fun or possible, I recommend going to a local sewing shoppe and see what they offer. I completely reworked machine with lessons and a little bit of a guarantee would be great as long as its not to expensive. The older machines ( I would say 1960"s and older depending on the brand and model) should have more metal and less plastic parts. Plastic parts over time fall apart. espesially after years of oil and nothing. My first machine, after I fixed the reverse issue, had a plastic gear brake after I tried sewing for the first time. My 15-91 is only a straight stitch and for what we do all I need. I can put silnylon thru it or webbing straps, without many adjustments and it sews like a champ.

In reference to the 3 you are suggesting, where are they from? Everything from CL, is running great and in perfect condition. Mainly because people are either ignorant or scamming you. I wouldn't pay 50 for a machine on CL unless I knew it was worth it and had run fabric thru it. I would still offer $15. If these are from a shoppe and have the backing of someone who had mad repairs and adjustments. Then that may be a good price. I don't know much about models and brands. I like the singer. I would buy that for $50 if it was in restored condition but offer less.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definitely not looking to restore or work on the machine myself. I just don't have the time for that between all of the other stuff I enjoy doing. My mom has one of grandmother's (RIP) machine's and I remember it was really expensive and all digital (like 15 yrs ago). I might just try using that, but I wanted something simple to keep from getting bogged down in all the gadgetry and just focus on the sewing.

That said. I think I'll like for one of those older models that just do the straight stitching. Can't get much more focused than that I guess.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    If you're nearby, maybe your mom will show you how to do ONLY the most basic straight stitching on hers (ignore all the fancy bells and whistles -- you won't need them!). Or maybe you have a neighbor or friend who has a machine? That way you can get a little experience and confidence sewing with somebody to help you thread and run the machine, and do a small project like a stuff sack. Then you'll be in better position to test a machine before you buy.
    When you look for your own first (maybe life-long and only) machine, I suggest only look locally, since you say you're not interested in repairing/rebuilding. Sewing machine stores (especially the ones that also do repairs) often have good ones for sale. Also local Craigslist listings, garage sales, thrift shops but test before you buy or take a good sewist with you to test. Take a few different weights of fabric that's similar to what you'll want to sew, a little webbing, and a spool of thread along to test the machine(s).

Meanwhile, without sewing, it doesn't get any easier than a lightweight gathered-end hammock from a pre-hemmed poly taffeta tablecloth! Instant gratification and very inexpensive. (but you did ask about machines...)

Good luck finding a great machine that will serve you well, and when you get one, add it to the "Show us your thread injector" thread!!! Looking forward to seeing your project posts, too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy

Taking the plunge...

Quote Originally Posted by rob317 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definitely not looking to restore or work on the machine myself. I just don't have the time for that between all of the other stuff I enjoy doing. My mom has one of grandmother's (RIP) machine's and I remember it was really expensive and all digital (like 15 yrs ago). I might just try using that, but I wanted something simple to keep from getting bogged down in all the gadgetry and just focus on the sewing.

That said. I think I'll like for one of those older models that just do the straight stitching. Can't get much more focused than that I guess.
    I don't think you can own a vintage machine of any kind and not expect to repair and or adjust it from time to time. Oiling and cleaning are a big part of a good running machine. To be honest with you I'm not sure if I like hammocks or sewing machines better. Both are very addicting. I have accumulated a large amount of machines I do not need but could not live without. Even a brand new machine will involve some up keep.

I did look in your area on Craigslist and did not see any viable options. There was a singer 15-91 but it needed parts and probably tlc. If you find something say in a thrift store, post a picture and we can give you our "professional" opinion. ROFL, best of luck on your journey down the rabbit hole.

• + New Posts