SMr 'Led Zeppelin'
    Tarp
    blue tarp
    Insulation
    Suisse Bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel Woopies

Hello from Central Mississippi

I've had a hammock for about a year now, but only more recently have considered it a useful item for camping(previously it was just a leisure device).

I've learned a TON from all the good Hangers on these forums, and right now I'm trying to get ready for an overnight in November:

I expect the temperature to be around 35 at night. Right now I have a hammock and that is it. Due to the time crunch and lack of funds, I'm currently planning on getting an Amsteel cord for a ridgeline, and then getting a waterproof tarp to put over that...and then taking some blankets I have and using those for a UQ... ...and then I hope that that will help me stay warm enough and dry enough.

Specifically: what is an easy/cheap material I can get that will be waterproof for the tarp?

Excited to be on the forums and to get started hanging on a regular basis!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Welcome!

If you hammock is a double layer you can easily put a Wal-Mart closed cell foam pad between the layers for bottom insulation. It's not expensive and does work. That said, an underquilt will work better as it stays in place when you move around in your hammock.

You can use a sleeping bag instead of a top quilt too. It does work, but you will get cold underneath if you don't add some form of bottom insulation. The biggest advantage for me about having a TQ instead of a sleeping bag, is that it's just easier.

There is a hang near Laurel, MS in November. Group hangs are a great way to meet other hangers and to check out which gear you might think you want to add to your purchase later wishlist.

To answer your tarp question. Walmart blue tarp with some 550 cord for tie outs on the grommets. Cheap and easy. You can upgrade later when you have a better idea of what your hanging needs are.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Images
    Do you already have Amsteel? It's relatively expensive for a RL, unless you have or buy some really thin stuff. A RR, as long as you don't torque down on them, don't really require a ton of strength.

Do you have a sleeping bag, maybe a nice wide one with a 2 way full length zipper? Experiment with wrapping that bag all the way around the bag, making a "pod". Shug has a bunch of videos on that. It make take some experimenting to get it to fit right without any top or bottom gaps. Fill in with clothing and pads as needed. Maybe sew on some fabric Gros Grain loops to the bag and add some shockcord suspension to pull it up where needed. This can work spectacularly. That is, if you have a sleeping bag?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome to HF

Are you coming to this hang? www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/96994-MS-gt-Homochitto-National-Forest-Clear-Springs-Trail-complex-November-14-16

If so, I can bring an extra underquilt for you to use. I usually bring extra gear in case someone needs something.

Hammock
    SMr 'Led Zeppelin'
    Tarp
    blue tarp
    Insulation
    Suisse Bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel Woopies
    My hammock is an SMr hammock, http://smrgearme.com it is (essentially) the xPlor hammock - single layer app 9' long.

Part of the reason I want to use Amsteel for a RL is because I guess I won't always want to use the RL, so I would make it removable and hopefully I could use that line for other applications if need be.

I actually lack a lot of things. I don't have a sleeping bag or any kind of TQ (or UQ), but I'm guessing that for my upcoming event I'll be able to borrow a bag.

So yea, I'm thinking the only things I'll need are a [makeshift] UQ, and a tarp. I'm sure a basic tarp from Walmart would fit my purposes, but I'm wondering if I don't want to go ahead and get a nice Silnylon stretch so that I have something that is more compressible and lightweight (or am I just assuming that it is better than a walmart tarp?).

Squidbilly, as far as the group hang, idk yet. If I were to come it would just be the Friday night. If I do decide to go, I'll make a shout in that thread. Thanks for the heads up!
    "Yeah, that'll sink like a Led Zeppelin"

Kirk

Images
    Welcome Kirk. Don't let a simple matter of gear keep you out of a group hang. It would seem we are in the same city, yea, even the same church. That being said, mi equipo es el equipo. We'll get together soon enough I'm sure but I'm happy to help you in any way I can and I know the guys coming to the Homochitto Hang will take care of you as well. We want your hammock experience to grow and be a positive one.

Images
    Forgot to say: Welcome from Tupelo!

Hammock
    Handmade Diy
    Tarp
    Winter tarp diy
    Insulation
    CostcoUQ/TQ clewed
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    I'm in petal, just east of Hattiesburg. We had a hang last weekend with the temptation at 40 and I would suggest fixing your blankets to the out side bottom of your Hammock. Possibly with some shock cord, laying on them will only bunch them up and you will freeze to death. CBS!
    For cheap waterproof material I would say.... Coleman makes a 10x10 poly taffeta sheet for canopy sides, Walmart, 10 bucks. Works great!

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mr. Hangsley,

Welcome to the forums. Just about everything that I know about hammock camping was mined right here and refined in my backyard. Please consider coming to the hang. It will be a great time to goof off in an organized manner (?) and you should be able to try out a number of different setups and see what works best for you.

SE

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Welcome from Central FL

• + New Posts