Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti/ 0* NF
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Images

Advice and guidance needed

So I am completely new to this. I have been hiking and camping for 15 years mostly in New England (AT etc) and now I want to move from the ground up into the air.

I am 5'9", 180 lbs with a stocky build so just about any standard sized hammock should do me fine. Below I have included my needs and wants for a hammock system. I look to you all for some help and suggestions for a setup.

NEEDS...
    attached bug netting
    small pack size/weight
    durable (I tend to be VERY hard on my gear and expect it to hold up)
    asymetrical shape for laying flat

WANTS...
    double layered bottom for using a pad
    earthy coloring (bright orange and purple isn't really my style :-P )
    No metal in rigging

I would like to spend around $60-$80 as a good tarp is going to cost me another $30-$50. I dont want to buy another hammock in 6 months because I feel the need t upgrade so if I have to spend more than this to be happy I will.

Are there any hammocks out there that fit these criteria? Ideally I would like to snag a used Hennesy hammock or the like but if one doesnt come up for sale before my next outing in 2 weeks I'd like to have another option.

I really appreciate any help you all could give me as my eyes are starting to bug out from reading forums and reviews etc lol. If I am being unreasonable please forgive me I just thought I'd throw my ideal rig out there and see if it existed.

Thanks again!

Pat

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You know what they say about opinions.

Your going to get some die hard Hennessey fans that say that this is the hammock to get. Then you going to get some Warbonnet Blackbird die hards that say the same thing and the same with Eno fans.

You need to decided whether you want a bottom entry hammock like the Hennessey or if you want a side entry hammock like the Warbonnet. The Hennessey has not put there double layer on the market yet from what I have seen. The Warbonnet already has a double layer out there.

If you were a little closer I would have you come up and try out my hammocks. I have two HH hammocks and two Warbonnet hammocks.

Personally I like the Warbonnet hammock with the side entry. It is a lot more convenient to use a side entry in my opinion. It is also roomer. This is my opinion. You are going to get a hundred opinions here.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    HH has no double bottom but since I hate pads in a hammock I see no problem with that. The HH also has the Super Shelter which, IMO is the lowest cost option for bottom insulation that does not involve pads IN the hammock. PS> I am one of those diehard HH fans because I could not go camping w/o the bottom entry.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The HH does have a double bottom. They had them for sale at Trail Days this year and it was also a side entry hammock. They were not cheap. They have not put them up for sale on there web site yet though.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    The HH does have a double bottom. They had them for sale at Trail Days this year and it was also a side entry hammock. They were not cheap. They have not put them up for sale on there web site yet though.
    I saw that report on the fourms. I guess my remark was to indicate they were not available. At least not available for public purchase at this time. Who knows if they will be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Make a Z hammock ala Risk's instructions and it will meet your pricing and double layer requirements. But it will not meet other requirements.

I don't know that you can get what you want unless you buy used. And consider the weight penalty of having something durable enough you can't hurt it - all hammocks I know of are made of light breathable materials you might puncture or melt. Just like all the tents I'm aware of.

Consider also - if you buy a hammock that's popular and meets your list of requirements, and you find you don't like it, it will be bought within hours of posting it here. Someone posted a Warbonnet hammock here and it was sold within an hour.

Why no metal? Rings for the suspension and zipper pulls, even? If you're not going to have any metal, you are going to end up tying knots in straps ala the HH. No biners, rings or figure 9s strong enough in plastic to hold up in a hammock suspension.

A Blackbird has four triangular rings in the suspension and requires two biners. The zippers are metal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti/ 0* NF
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Make a Z hammock ala Risk's instructions and it will meet your pricing and double layer requirements. But it will not meet other requirements.

I don't know that you can get what you want unless you buy used. And consider the weight penalty of having something durable enough you can't hurt it - all hammocks I know of are made of light breathable materials you might puncture or melt. Just like all the tents I'm aware of.

Consider also - if you buy a hammock that's popular and meets your list of requirements, and you find you don't like it, it will be bought within hours of posting it here. Someone posted a Warbonnet hammock here and it was sold within an hour.

Why no metal? Rings for the suspension and zipper pulls, even? If you're not going to have any metal, you are going to end up tying knots in straps ala the HH. No biners, rings or figure 9s strong enough in plastic to hold up in a hammock suspension.

A Blackbird has four triangular rings in the suspension and requires two biners. The zippers are metal.

Good point, I forgot the zippers lol. I don't mind tying knots but I dont like how rigid metal parts are. a few D rings isnt a huge deal but id prefer not to have them.

Thank you for all the opinions. I would love to buy a Blackbird but they are a bit out of my price range atm and I have heard there is a line to get a new one? I need a hammock within 2 weeks so Im not sure if that's an option.

Thank you for the suggestions and keep them coming.

I was looking at a Skeeter beeter UL and a 12x12 Kelty Noah's tarp. Do you all think I'd be happy with this or would I regret it in the long run?

Thanks,
    Pat

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The Skeeter Beeter UL is exactly what I would choose as a first hammock if I were starting over on the cheap. Good choice.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    If you can hle out, AND can get to one, wait for a "Hangout" (Like Hot Springs) & visit. This will give you a chance to see & (Likely) lay in nearly every hammock on the market. I got to lay in a Warbonnet Blackbird yesterday & that is my next bed. As stated tho, you may like something else & that is OK.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    the Kelty Noah will be heavy, has PU coating that will eventually degrade, but will otherwise work fine.

You will find that spending the money on quality gear upfront will be cheaper in the long run. For example, quality down bags will last decades if cared for properly; quality synthetics will degrade and get gradually less warm over a matter of a few years, with ongoing use and repeated stuffings. Getting a cheap hammock now may lead to your being happy with it, or it may result in wishing you had this or that feature on the Blackbird... We all have our personal evolution in hammocking. It's hard to know what you want until you try out a few things that you discover you don't want. I like having a wide hammock to spread out in, a bugnet I can throw back if I don't need it, and storage that doesn't involve my ipod and headlamp rolling around in the hammock with me or hanging from the ridgeline. So I moved from the Hennessy into the Blackbird. Others like to store stuff underneath, so get a Clark - but that was more expensive than a tarp ala carte and the Blackbird.

I spent about the same money on the Blackbird as I did a low end tent, and my satisfaction levels for each are markedly different.

You might check around on ebay and on sale forums here - Blackbirds come up from time to time. Tho one went on ebay for more than the cost of a new one. :O

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast