Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge

If I can't decide on a tarp soon, I WILL go crazy!

I have been researching tarps for months now, but I cannot seem to make up my mind on what I really want.
    I have a small A-sym tarp now, but I know I want more coverage. How much more you ask??? Well that is what I cannot decide on.

I will use it primarily on backpacking trips, so I need a light one, I don't think I can afford cuben (unless I find one used at a SUPER deal). I know that I can use a heavier tarp, and save ounces elsewhere, but I wouldn't know what to lighten-up since getting other UL items are not in the budget right now.

I am not sure if I want doors or not....which makes me think of a door compatible tarp option. In previous years I have not done any winter adventures, but that isn't saying that I wouldn't want to try one out this year or next.

There are so many great tarps out there, and that is half the problem.....I am one of those people who gets buyers remorse, so I hate to make a decision, then continually wonder what the "one I almost bought" would be like.

I know that the SF is highly recommended by most, but I am not sure if I will even like doors, maybe too closed in......

Alright, Captain Indecisive will stop now...

I look forward to hearing any similar struggles and your solution! Thanks.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    HH Hex should do you fine. I've used one for a couple of years down here in Houston and I know our average rain storms are heavier than what you might consider the worst you'd find in the Northeast. There's been a couple of times I felt like I needed doors, but that's b/c the terrain down here doesn't allow for too many choices in site selection. If you feel like you need some, you can get them later.

I'm relatively new, but I'll share my experiences with you. I'll speak about a couple of brands, but I do not mean any disrespect to any manufacturers by not mentioning them. Just my experiences.
    I started with the Hennessy Hex tarp. Good experiences with it. Lot of coverage and a fairly low-cost. It's just heavier than other options for "low-weight" backpacking. Only reason I do not use it now, is that I gave it to my son to use with his Dream Hammock.
    I bought a Wilderness Logics Tadpole. I spoke with Marty about the weight difference between the 132" ridgeline and the 144" ridgeline. I ordered the 144" ridgeline and have been well please. I've used it to a couple of huge torrential downpours and I have stayed dry. I have not purchased the door kit...yet. The sides are not as long as the Hennessy Hex tarp, but it provides plenty of coverage.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I switch from a 10x10 bcusa (which i still love) to a mamajamba. It doesn't have near the coverage but I don't seem to miss it. I love the weight savings. the mamajamba weighs about 15 oz compared to my bcusa tarp thats around 2 pounds.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Check out the Wilderness Logics Tadpole. There's a door kit you can buy for it, should you decide you want doors. That will be the tarp I go with when I upgrade from the ENO ProFly. It's hard to decide on just one tarp with so many options that are available.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speed clips
    Images
    I've gone from a hardware store poly tarp, to a 10 x 10 nylon, to a 8 x 8 nylon, to a MacCat Standard ... and am now considering a SF!
    I have nothing but good to say for the MacCat Standard ... It covers my blackbird very well, and is very light and compact ... I've had it under some very heavy rain and stay perfectly dry. Been using it for about 2 years now. Nothing bad to say whatsoever! However ... sometimes in colder weather I wish I had the doors for the wind blocking factor. Seems like it would make a huge difference. For this I think the SF is the ONLY way to go, but then you almost need a second smaller tarp.

Personally I think the door kits would not work nearly as well as the fully attached doors to tarp versions... but maybe that's just me ;D

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I threw around this question so much. Ended up buying the superfly, then selling it right away because I didn't want to deal with door. Got the Mamajamba and love it. Decided I needed the doors after a rain shower + wind kept blowing a lot of mist in. THEN decided I didn't want to fiddle with attaching all 4 doors on wet trips where I knew I would want doors or for winter, so I bought the SF again!

So I ended up with the Mamajamba + door kit and a Superfly.

I know that's overkill, but I like having the options. If I had to choose just one, the SF is hard to beat. It doesn't take a huge thunderstorm for rain to get in; just a decent breeze and light rain. And an underquilt protector will only do so much.

I look at a good tarp with lots of coverage as the main item between a fun and miserable trip. It's the only/primary thing keeping you and expensive gear dry, safe and comfortable.

I love my Big Daddy from WL. It is door kit compatible, has a ton of coverage and has many options that you can add to customize it. Without any options it comes in around 15 oz too. I added pull outs and an extra tie down point on each side and it comes in around 1.5 pound with my suspension attached.

I would bet going from a small asym tarp to a Tadpole or an Edge you would be tickled pink. Since those offer good length ridge lines with good weight savings. If you are not a gram weenie then go for the Big Daddy.

Images
    Cuben, doors, go dig for a deal or work a side job for the dough. Only down side to me is the semi transparency. After that, a HH Hex will do real well. Hate to tell you this but if you catch the same gear flu the rest of us seem to have, you'll change and/or have a collection of several tarps, over time of course.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Yeah, I have that gear flu. It's just awful having all this awesome gear

My girlfriend has the WB SF. Badass tarp. It's hard to beat for the weight/coverage that you get.

I have ... several ... tarps! Like 5 of'em. The last 3 I've built myself. The latest one was 12x10" silArgon tarp. That beast weighs in at just 1 pound!

But if you can't build your own, my vote goes to the SF. It's lighter than most but you still have everything you need, when you need it.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast