Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How To Make A Poncho Liner Under Quilt or "PLUQ" - An Instructional Video

PLUQ photo.jpg

http://youtu.be/vsWOelVXuoI

This is a step by step instructional video I made for my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/KdawgCrazy

How to make a DIY No Sew Poncho Liner Under Quilt for under $45.00 in about an hour or less. I used the instructions from http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/. I show how it works and how easy it is to make a nice comfy under quilt that is good down to 45 degrees. More insulation such as reflectix or a space blanket can be added in the fold for colder weather. I added some additional mods such as more cord locks and a secondary suspension for more adjustability.

Affordable/Common Man's Under Quilt for Newbees like me...

Are you new to Hammock Camping and considering switching out your camp pad/air mattress for an under quilt? Have a limited budget for camping gear and want to try out a camping hammock underquilt to see why everyone says they are so comfy and warm? Then check out this quick DIY NO SEW Poncho Liner Under Quilt made from a US Military Poncho Liner.

Materials I Used (I already had some of the shock cord and cord locks so my cost was around $45):

1 - Poncho Liner $20-$36 (Purchased mine on EBay for $36) New US Military for durability
    2 - Cord Locks $2-$4 (I used 3 more than what the instructions required to add more adjustability)
    230 inches of 1/8" Shock Cord - $3-$4 (Got mine on Amazon.com) I used less than recommended
    84 inches of 3/32" Shock Cord - $4 (Purchased at Cabela's in a package of 45 feet)
    Optional 120 inches of 3/32" Shock Cord for Secondary Suspension
    2 - Plastic Nite Ize S-Biners $3-$4 (any small carabineers will work...these have a 10 lbs. limit)

Tools Used:

Scissors, lighter, small Allen Wrench
    Optional - wire or coat hanger and pliers to feed cord through the channels on the poncho liner

Since I'm relatively new to the whole hammock camping scene I'm still collecting the gear I need to be comfortable, safe and warm. I did purchase a Winter 20 degree under quilt from HammockGear.com but still needed an affordable warm weather under quilt. After weighing my options and my budget (spent too much on the winter underquilt) I settled on a DIY no sew solution that was easy, quick and cheap for a warm weather option. Most of the materials for the PLUQ can be purchased locally and assembled in under 1 hour.

Questions and suggestions are always welcomed.

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    Got mine put together.

Is there any reason we would ever need the gathered end to lay flat?
    Seemed messy to always have 2-3' of the 3/32 shock cord hanging out of each end.
    I'm experimenting with keeping mine gathered at least halfway and cutting the shock cord short.

Even if you ended up using it on the ground for some reason, the gathered ends would make a foot box/shoulder shroud.

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    Also, Are you planning to sew your sides together?
    Would make it more stable.
    You could leave the ends or at least one end open so you could insert a mat or reflectix or some other insulator inside.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTNJohn View Post
    Got mine put together.

Is there any reason we would ever need the gathered end to lay flat?
    Seemed messy to always have 2-3' of the 3/32 shock cord hanging out of each end.
    I'm experimenting with keeping mine gathered at least halfway and cutting the shock cord short.

Even if you ended up using it on the ground for some reason, the gathered ends would make a foot box/shoulder shroud.
    I thought about doing that too. I've left mine long because I'm gonna need to make either a bigger stop knot or add a bead to stop my cord locks from accidentally sliding off in the woods. Shorter cord is definitely better.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTNJohn View Post
    Also, Are you planning to sew your sides together?
    Would make it more stable.
    You could leave the ends or at least one end open so you could insert a mat or reflectix or some other insulator inside.
    I have thought about sewing the open longways side because it does kinda flap open but I'm still kinda trying it out to see if I want to return it to just being a poncho liner so I can use it with my US Military Poncho as a sleeping bag.

There's a ton of different ways to make a PLUQ and there's a "sew" version at this site too http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/

Best part about using the poncho liner is it's so easy to make your own underquilt with it and add mods that work for your style of camping. I have a feeling I will continue to love the PLUQ and eventually put some Primaloft or something into it then sew the whole thing closed.

Quote Originally Posted by KdawgCrazy View Post
    I have thought about sewing the open longways side because it does kinda flap open but I'm still kinda trying it out to see if I want to return it to just being a poncho liner so I can use it with my US Military Poncho as a sleeping bag.

There's a ton of different ways to make a PLUQ and there's a "sew" version at this site too http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/

Best part about using the poncho liner is it's so easy to make your own underquilt with it and add mods that work for your style of camping. I have a feeling I will continue to love the PLUQ and eventually put some Primaloft or something into it then sew the whole thing closed.
    KdawgCrazy,
    Thanks for the video. I made one of these a few months ago and the video was very helpful. To help with the sides staying together, I sewed just a few small pieces of velco so that I could fasten the sides together and then still open it up as a poncho liner/blanket for use when I ground hug.
    I do have a question for you. I think the answer is obvious, but I'm going to ask. The secondary suspension clips to the same spot on the S-biner as the main suspension? I don't have any quilts with a secondary suspension. I could see the white shock cord running up to the S biner in the video, but I could not see the black shock cord. May have been the angle or my middle age eyes!
    Great video!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    KdawgCrazy,
    Thanks for the video. I made one of these a few months ago and the video was very helpful. To help with the sides staying together, I sewed just a few small pieces of velco so that I could fasten the sides together and then still open it up as a poncho liner/blanket for use when I ground hug.
    I do have a question for you. I think the answer is obvious, but I'm going to ask. The secondary suspension clips to the same spot on the S-biner as the main suspension? I don't have any quilts with a secondary suspension. I could see the white shock cord running up to the S biner in the video, but I could not see the black shock cord. May have been the angle or my middle age eyes!
    Great video!
    Thanks for watching brother. The secondary suspension and main suspension are both clipped into the s-biners and then clipped onto the hammock suspension. I might just break down and throw a couple stitches along the non folded side to keep it closed but I like the Velcro idea too.

I just watched the video. Very good job. I might try this as a scout project. Thanks

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post
    I just watched the video. Very good job. I might try this as a scout project. Thanks
    Perfect project for the scouts to combine with a tablecloth hammock project too.

Hammock
    DIY Epsilon
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    hammock anchors
    Was just looking at www.owfinc.com
    You can get a 36"x60" or 36x61" Climashield for $15-$20.
    That's pretty much the perfect size for a PLUQ.

If I am reading the specs correctly, it would add 5-9.5oz depending upon which weight you bought.

Here's my PLUQ as it stands now.FullSizeRender.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast