ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing

Calling all experts...

So, I've been using a 30* modified mummy bag for a top quilt for quite some time. I would like to get a warmer TQ. I have two questions.

1-If you would recommend one, what would it be? (I'm looking for about a 0* on a budget.

2-When I use my TQ, I tuck it in to my UQ. Is there a better way to keep air from getting into hammock?

Thanks, yall!
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I am a big fan of hammock gear quilts. As for #2, I tuck my TQ around me, not into my UQ. I hope this helps.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    1. How cold do you need to sleep in. My 20* takes me to 20* easily.

2. I tuck my TQ under me. Between me and hammock. Not into the UQ. You may be getting some draft in there.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    1. Any cottage vendor. They are all fantastic value for money although still not very budget friendly. I would definitely wait until you can afford a top of the line quilt. I have quilts from UGQ and HG, can't pick a favourite so my next set will either be diy or from JRB or EE.
    2. Yeah like the other guys have said, tq tucks underneath you to seal draughts. Do you really need a 0°? I am too warm at 40° with my 20° set up and have to vent my tq.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Personal Preference is the bottom line. We all seem to have our favorite, hammock, TQ and UQ, almost forgot about the Tarp debate.

Where you live, how fussy you are about your gear. Maybe you might like to purchase something from a member, maybe synthetic might be your best selection. Down is great but very expensive and requires a bit of extra care. The fabric of the quilt is also a factor you might want to consider. Color? Weight, some vendors have slightly lighter designs. Some vendors ship quicker than others. Suspension of your quilt is another decision making concern.

My first UQ did not keep me warm, why? because I sleep cold and the humidity here on the coast is high and I am cold all the time. When I am in the North Country where it is day I do not have a problem keeping warm, for me humidity is the problem.

I went with DIY to get the quilt to fit my short body. I did DYI because I wanted to exercise my brain after I had a Stroke. I just love the my DIY quilts, the fabric is sooo soft and it just drapes around me sealing out drafts, I love it.

You, in my opinion need to go to a Hang so you may see and feel several types of quilts to see what you think will work for you. I like to adjust things, multi use, I have special needs for the size, those were some of what I thought about before making a decision. My first UQ is pretty bomb proof, which for me is good. However, it is not warm enough, 3 seasons and I was cold at 50 F with clothing on. Many members would have been too warm.

Your choice is very individual, that is why we have so many vendor's working so hard to find a fit for each of us. Lots of eye candy all the time.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a hammock lover View Post
    So, I've been using a 30* modified mummy bag for a top quilt for quite some time. I would like to get a warmer TQ. I have two questions.

1-If you would recommend one, what would it be? (I'm looking for about a 0* on a budget.

2-When I use my TQ, I tuck it in to my UQ. Is there a better way to keep air from getting into hammock?

Thanks, yall!
    As far as number one, I'm notoriously cheap so I feel your pain here. Budget is always my #1 concern. That said, if you buy one that's a legit TQ you're going to pay handsomely for it (in my opinion). It'll be worth it in the end if you get plenty of use from it and I absolutely recommend the cottage industry for something like this. Aside from the fact that PSH is sponsored by UGQ I'd still recommend them (and historically have done so, even prior to the sponsorship) because of their customer service and willingness to customize...not to mention the high quality of their product. Budget-consciousness however means I'd probably be looking into 0* down mummy bags and converting them into a TQ. It's not down, but I use a USGI intermediate bag and it works fantastic for me. I think (if memory serves) it's rated to -10*, but don't take that to the bank just on my word alone.

2) I tuck my UQ around me and not the UQ. You don't want to protect the hammock from air - just yourself.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Thanks, yall!
    So does this mean you are laying on you underquilt? with it inside the hammock under you?
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlips View Post
    So does this mean you are laying on you underquilt? with it inside the hammock under you?
    No. I Hang the UQ under my hammock, and tuck the sides of my TQ down between my hammock and the UQ.

I now feel like an idiot for never thinking about just wrapping my TQ around me. Thank y'all for your help. I will try sleeping with the TQ the proper way this evening, and see how it works. If it works the way y'all say it does, I might not need a new one at all! Thank y'all for your help!
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Jacks R Better, you can't go wrong.

Always tuck the TQ underneath me, the two quilts work independently.

Images
    No. I Hang the UQ under my hammock, and tuck the sides of my TQ down between my hammock and the UQ.

I now feel like an idiot for never thinking about just wrapping my TQ around me. Thank y'all for your help. I will try sleeping with the TQ the proper way this evening, and see how it works. If it works the way y'all say it does, I might not need a new one at all! Thank y'all for your help!
    What I hated about using my mummy bags as a quilt was losing the hood function, which is a big part of the bags rating. These days I use a separate hood with my TQs. But later on while using my bag, I managed to figure out how to use the hood. I would unzip down about 3/4, but leave the neck collar snaps or Velcro closed. The I would slip in from the side and from the inside slide my head up through the neck collar into the hood. Then, even with my head inside the hood, I could still twist the bag so that I was covered TQ style. Worked pretty darn good. If you don't already have some head insulation = to a bags hood, and you still are not warm enough, you might want to experiment with this method. Hang warm!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast