Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    brown 10'x10'
    Insulation
    between 2 bushes

AL>William Bankhead National Forest, The Sipsey Wilderness...>...Loop and history question???

Heading up this weekend for a 4 day, 3 night loop. Both of us are healthy and in our 20's, so there won't be a whole lot of poking around, but more exploring and moving at a decent pace. We were planning on going up 200/207/210/223/208/206/209(camp around 204 for sure one night)/end back at 200. Anyone advise differently? Are there any trails leading out of Sipsey that go elsewhere in the W. Bankhead NF that could make for a decent loop?

I've read trip report after trip report on the Sipsey Wilderness Hiking club website, as well as googled others. So as much as I appreciate it in advance, I can probably recite that website with my eyes closed I've read it so much recently. I still don't see a whole lot about 210/223 anywhere. Is it even worth hiking or should we spend our time exploring elsewhere?

It rained yesterday and water levels have crept up, I'm hoping that continues into the weekend. If anyone gets around any falls in between now and then, please post up. I'll be heading into the woods sometime Saturday. I've been watching the gauge at the fork on the USGS site, but that only references so much.

stelprdb5274999.jpg

Now my other question. I've read somewhere(I'll look for the link when I get back home), that there's an abandoned town somewhere around these woods. All that's apparently left are chimney crumbles, but I still find this interesting, nonetheless.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I have hiked 200, 206, and 209 but not all of others. 208 and 223 are still used by horses and I've heard they can be a boring, sloppy mess. I believe 210/207 is better now, but since they are not very popular trails, it can be difficult to follow the trail in places from my understanding.

If you have never been in the Sipsey - the trails aren't blazed or marked other than trail junctions, so make sure you can use a map and compass.

Water levels will not be an issue for crossing - water sources are fairly dry right now.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    brown 10'x10'
    Insulation
    between 2 bushes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    I have hiked 200, 206, and 209 but not all of others. 208 and 223 are still used by horses and I've heard they can be a boring, sloppy mess. I believe 210/207 is better now, but since they are not very popular trails, it can be difficult to follow the trail in places from my understanding.

If you have never been in the Sipsey - the trails aren't blazed or marked other than trail junctions, so make sure you can use a map and compass.

Water levels will not be an issue for crossing - water sources are fairly dry right now.
    Yea I was hoping the rainfall from up north would keep a little water flowing through the weekend. Finding water shouldn't be an issue at all I would imagine. It hasn't been that dry this year has it?

I've never hiked Sipsey, my friend going has been bugging me to go for the past two years. I think my compass skills will suffice though.

A lot of traffic around the area at the moment?

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Looks like you are going to clock a bit over 30 miles on your planned route. I did a smiliar route Jan - 2014 without 210,223, and 206. I came across 208 from 207/208 junction and then down 224 to 204. I personally did not mind 208 and did not consider it to be too muddy. (although everything was frozen while I was there) The walk down 224 into 204 and out on the 209 was my favorite section of my hike. There should be no short supply of water south of the 208. I am not sure about on the 210 and 223. Hopefully someone will chime in on that section for you. Have fun and enjoy your walk in the woods!

EDIT: Careful on 207, easy to get off trail.

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    When I was there in June I did a clockwise loop. Starting from the Borden Trailhead, I went 200/209/206/208/207, back to 200.

-The creek crossing from 207 to 200 is easy to miss. It's at a large junction where one river meets another (Braziel Creek, which parallels 207, meets Borden Creek, which continues along 200). 207 doesn't turn toward the crossing; it fades off into the woods. The junction here was several feet deep, and I had to bushwhack just a bit to find a way to cross. It might be the same going from 200 to 207.

-If you follow 200 north to meet up with 207, the trail might not be obvious after you cross Borden Creek until you hike east a bit (a few hundred feet, at most). Like I said, 207 fades away before it reaches the creek crossing.

-The trail ratings for camping and hiking on the Sispey Hiking Club are spot on. If it says water is scarce, it's true. I'm always extra cautious about filling up anyway.

-There are very few decent camping spots (even for hammocks) on some parts of 208. It's an old road, and I enjoyed it it very much, but it's a 10-15 foot high cliff on one side, and a steep drop off on the other.

-You can find a more detailed map of the area here. Note that 207 is mislabeled as 210, but it was spot on for the rest of my trip. http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf

-208 was very muddy when I went, but if you're afraid of getting dirty, there's a Holliday Inn in the town of Double Springs. :P

-There are very few trail markings. I think I counted a total of 3 on my 20+ mile loop. The trail I usually hike in Louisiana, the Wild Azalea Trail, has markings about every 100 feet. Still, it's hard to get really lost. The trails are well worn, and site creep (camp sites spreading out) is an issue.

-Pigs. Pigs EVERYWHERE.

Images
    recent water levels last 6 months, change for X # of years if desired:
    http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/n...te_no=02450250

Sipsey discharge today: 30 cu.ft/sec and dropping, 48 year median for this day= about 16, record low 0.63 5 year low 1.5-2, 5 year highs between 1000 and 10,000(watch out on those days!)

gage height = 3.5 ft today, average about 3, lows about 2, highs about 25-30 last 5 years
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-30-2014 at 10:51.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    brown 10'x10'
    Insulation
    between 2 bushes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jowee View Post
    When I was there in June I did a clockwise loop. Starting from the Borden Trailhead, I went 200/209/206/208/207, back to 200.

-The creek crossing from 207 to 200 is easy to miss. It's at a large junction where one river meets another (Braziel Creek, which parallels 207, meets Borden Creek, which continues along 200). 207 doesn't turn toward the crossing; it fades off into the woods. The junction here was several feet deep, and I had to bushwhack just a bit to find a way to cross. It might be the same going from 200 to 207.

-If you follow 200 north to meet up with 207, the trail might not be obvious after you cross Borden Creek until you hike east a bit (a few hundred feet, at most). Like I said, 207 fades away before it reaches the creek crossing.

-The trail ratings for camping and hiking on the Sispey Hiking Club are spot on. If it says water is scarce, it's true. I'm always extra cautious about filling up anyway.

-There are very few decent camping spots (even for hammocks) on some parts of 208. It's an old road, and I enjoyed it it very much, but it's a 10-15 foot high cliff on one side, and a steep drop off on the other.

-You can find a more detailed map of the area here. Note that 207 is mislabeled as 210, but it was spot on for the rest of my trip. http://www.briartech.com/sipseyonepagea.pdf

-208 was very muddy when I went, but if you're afraid of getting dirty, there's a Holliday Inn in the town of Double Springs. :P

-There are very few trail markings. I think I counted a total of 3 on my 20+ mile loop. The trail I usually hike in Louisiana, the Wild Azalea Trail, has markings about every 100 feet. Still, it's hard to get really lost. The trails are well worn, and site creep (camp sites spreading out) is an issue.

-Pigs. Pigs EVERYWHERE.
    Nice. I appreciate you detailing that out for me. I think we might reverse our direction and head down 209 first after reading that. Temps are now expected to dip into the 20's tomorrow night. Should make for some great hanging!

• + New Posts